Chelsea FC owner Roman Abramovich sanctioned by UK

Football, Soccer - whatever you call it. It is the beautiful game.
Euler

Martyn Ziegler

@martynziegler

Massive news: Roman Abramovich sanctioned. All UK assets frozen. Chelsea can still operate under a special licence but sale now on hold. Club will not be allowed to sell any more tickets - only season ticket holders can go to games for the foreseeable future.
Trader Pat

The only thing surprising about this news is it took so long.

Not sure what the government were waiting for?
Archery1969

Trader Pat wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:41 am

They have been worried all along that they would get multi million pound legal action taken against them by those sanctioned. The law has now been changed, so that can't happen. Like everything else it takes awhile for laws to get changed/passed in Parliament etc.
Trader Pat

Archery1969 wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:54 am
Trader Pat wrote:

They have been worried all along that they would get multi million pound legal action taken against them by those sanctioned. The law has now been changed, so that can't happen. Like everything else it takes awhile for laws to get changed/passed in Parliament etc.
They were very quick to sanction Usmanov. I know his links to Putin are more obvious than Abramovich but it doesn't take much digging to find the links between them.
Archery1969

Trader Pat wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:08 am
Archery1969 wrote:
Trader Pat wrote:

They were very quick to sanction Usmanov. I know his links to Putin are more obvious than Abramovich but it doesn't take much digging to find the links between them.
It was a bit of a grey area before, they needed more evidence from a legal point of view but now it seems they need very little under the new laws being passed. The EU and US laws required allot less to meet the bar for being sanctioned hence they were able to implement allot quicker.
Trader Pat

Archery1969 wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:13 am
Trader Pat wrote:
Archery1969 wrote:

It was a bit of a grey area before, they needed more evidence from a legal point of view but now it seems they need very little under the new laws being passed. The EU and US laws required allot less to meet the bar for being sanctioned hence they were able to implement allot quicker.
I wonder what song Chelsea fans will be singing tonight?!
Archery1969

Trader Pat wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:16 am
Archery1969 wrote:
Trader Pat wrote:

I wonder as they cant buy or sell players now but players will be able to leave for FREE if their contract is up in the summer. :o
Archery1969

According to the sanctions, Chelsea:

"They can pay "reasonable" costs of travel to and from fixtures but not exceeding £20,000 per game per team."

Its must cost them allot more than that when they travel to Europe to play games ?
Dallas

Like others above I'm surprised this has taken so long, I can only assume the high profile of Abramovich meant they wanted to be extra sure they'd done everything right and nothing could come back and bite them at a later date
wearthefoxhat

Archery1969 wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:19 am
Trader Pat wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:16 am
Archery1969 wrote:

I wonder as they cant buy or sell players now but players will be able to leave for FREE if their contract is up in the summer. :o

Unless the players agree an extension to their contract out of goodwill.

transfers.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
greenmark

Maybe being sanctioned helps Abramovich. He can tell Putin "I can't help you". He can't sell Chelsea. It's stasis for him and he can afford it.
Archery1969

There are now calls for Chelsea to be relegated. :roll: 🤔
wearthefoxhat

Archery1969 wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 5:47 pm
There are now calls for Chelsea to be relegated. :roll: 🤔
Realistically, they could be put into administration with a 9pts deduction...and still qualify for champions league football next year...
Derek27

Can't see the point of barring selling tickets or a cap on travelling. The owner's been sanctioned and the club is with a trustee, at least let them run the club to the full benefit of the club, players and fans.
Archery1969

Derek27 wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 6:49 pm
Can't see the point of barring selling tickets or a cap on travelling. The owner's been sanctioned and the club is with a trustee, at least let them run the club to the full benefit of the club, players and fans.
Apparently they have bad finances which was supported and underwritten by Roman. Some of which was hidden from the Premier League. They can’t actually pay the overall wage bill unless they got extra help.

Return to “Football trading”