England's World Cup participation in doubt

Football, Soccer - whatever you call it. It is the beautiful game.
Derek27

Just heard it on Sky News. Garreth Southgate, despite his claims England's participation in Qutar would be beneficial to human rights, is now expressing doubts about whether we should go or even whether the tournament should go ahead, in conjunction with Denmark and the Netherlands.

Nigel Huddleston will be making a statement today.
sniffer66

Southgate is a total fool ;)

Edit: oops my mistake, hadnt seen the story. Was looking at todays date lol
Last edited by sniffer66 on Fri Apr 01, 2022 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
silkysoph

Unbelievable!The more the merrier.Should never have even considered that location.As per you i suspect as long as as you can trade and make money on the back of despots who cares about the suffering . It's a long way away :!:
Kai

I was surprised to see everyone get on board with it so quickly, expected players etc to put up more of a fight. Probably wouldn't take much to start another domino effect, similar to the one with the Super League.
Trader Pat

Gareth Southgate doesn't have the power to pull the plug on England's participation in the World Cup. This is just another example of somebody wagging the finger and wanting to look moral and decent. Unfortunately sports is filled with people like this now, saying this and that should be done but they don't actually DO anything themselves.

If I was English I'd want Southgate to keep his eyes on the prize and not get distracted especially as his team are going to the World Cup as one of the favourites.
Kai

I would maybe be okay with the idea if it meant it would lead to something progressive in that region, sportswashing could work both ways, in theory at least.
Euler

Got to be an April fool as no organisation has the balls to do this.
Trader Pat

I suppose its easier to come out and criticise Qatar's human rights abuses than it is to say the awarding of the WC to them in the first place was corrupt. (Even though everyone knows it)
Derek27

I realised it's 1st April this morning after having a lot to drink and this was the best I could come up with. Then I realised the draws today and thought nobody's gonna fall for it. :lol:
Derek27

Southgate changed his mind after the draw. ;)

Return to “Football trading”