Betfair front running

Football, Soccer - whatever you call it. It is the beautiful game.
bimmerpost

Spoken about this with some traders in europe(malta) this week about this and they were convinced that betfair employees or betfair trading team was front running their orders.their balance is not very big but the hot rate is very good.do you think that betfair is looking at successful accounts and placing bets after?or their employees without the company taking part?
Euler

This is something that crops up on a regular basis. Betfair are adamant that they are no active in their own markets. But I guess that depends on whether you think XM comes outside of that umbrella.

For in-play markets, I've often seen many complaints that somebody is always ahead of the curve. But....

Trading inplay is often a process of: -

(a) Getting the fastest pictures, which devolves into being at the event
(b) Anticipating a price move

I remember, many years ago, going to a Tennis match to test what was going on.

I measured that people were backing or laying as a shot was played. So the market had moved on from seeing if the ball was in or out to a judgement call on whether it looked like a winning shot.

Much the same in racing. People backing 'winners' over many years have slowly but surely extended the distance from the winning line that this happens.

So I think a lot of what people see as front running, is just people anticipating price action. Certainly in-play at least anyhow.
wearthefoxhat

Euler wrote:
Thu Jun 09, 2022 11:07 am
This is something that crops up on a regular basis. Betfair are adamant that they are no active in their own markets. But I guess that depends on whether you think XM comes outside of that umbrella.

For in-play markets, I've often seen many complaints that somebody is always ahead of the curve. But....

Trading inplay is often a process of: -

(a) Getting the fastest pictures, which devolves into being at the event
(b) Anticipating a price move

I remember, many years ago, going to a Tennis match to test what was going on.

I measured that people were backing or laying as a shot was played. So the market had moved on from seeing if the ball was in or out to a judgement call on whether it looked like a winning shot.

Much the same in racing. People backing 'winners' over many years have slowly but surely extended the distance from the winning line that this happens.

So I think a lot of what people see as front running, is just people anticipating price action. Certainly in-play at least anyhow.

Yep.

Some with the fastest pictures or court siders still mess up, when they do the stakes are usually larger too. Things like identifying the wrong jockey colours, relying on the commentator to be on the ball, going all-in on 1.01 and getting collared on the line.

I went to Newton abbot for the first time since covid. Took a look around to see if there was a vantage point. There were 2 people already situated with phones in hand poised as the runners swept arounf the final bend. They saw me approach and just ignored me. The run-in is a short one over the last and I could easily identify the winner approaching the last. Should be near 1.01 at that stage, let's just say it wasn't.

The tennis story sound right. The reward of anticipating getting it right v the risk of not, is consistently better.

Re-Betfair, can imagine they have access to a lot more information, in the same way a poker on-line site super user knowing all the cards in a game. It's just a question if Betfair act on it or not..I'd like to think not....
soccernurds

Who are the people updating scores and matches? A betfair employee. A third party service? Anyone in that position is tempted to take advantage of it, so I don't think it matters that much who is trying it, the important thing is for them to be effective at combating misuse of that power.

Just last week I entered a bet un a 0-0 score in 2nd division in Argentina. They tempted me with a small surge in price in the "back 0-0" final score, so after carefully wathing the score and deciding whatever small chaos was not a goal I took the bait, and of course immediately after the market was reflecting the goal. It was a very small bet but its very annoying that I know I cant believe anything the betfair scoreboard is saying all the time.
Derek27

soccernurds wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:01 am
Who are the people updating scores and matches? A betfair employee. A third party service? Anyone in that position is tempted to take advantage of it, so I don't think it matters that much who is trying it, the important thing is for them to be effective at combating misuse of that power.

Just last week I entered a bet un a 0-0 score in 2nd division in Argentina. They tempted me with a small surge in price in the "back 0-0" final score, so after carefully wathing the score and deciding whatever small chaos was not a goal I took the bait, and of course immediately after the market was reflecting the goal. It was a very small bet but its very annoying that I know I cant believe anything the betfair scoreboard is saying all the time.
If it was a small surge it could have simply been a corner, followed by a goal.
soccernurds

A corner kick would be maybe 10-20 percent. This was more like 30-50.
Euler

soccernurds wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:01 am

It's a third party company that employs scouts. It's wide open to abuse, but also don't forget that it's very likely other people will be at the ground taken advantage of that gap in knowledge.

https://www.betfairtradingblog.com/betf ... ing-scout/
psychoff

Euler wrote:
Thu Jun 09, 2022 11:07 am

100% agree for inplay football.

Return to “Football trading”