Premier League 22/23 Prediction Thread

Football, Soccer - whatever you call it. It is the beautiful game.
Trader Pat

Its taken me longer than normal to get excited for the new season but now it's almost here it's time to make some predictions that will make me look stupid next May.

Top 4:

1: Liverpool
2: City
3: Spurs
4: Arsenal

Relegation: Any three from six or seven but I'll go with Forest, Brentford and Bournemouth (Don't think Everton will be far off though)

Top Goalscorer : Kane (If he stays fit)

First manager to get the chop: Fat Frank
Dallas

Mine would be

Liverpool
Man City
Chelsea
Spurs

I'll add my relegation teams later
Dallas

I wonder how much bias was inserted into our first choices :D
Trader Pat

No idea what you mean :D
Archery1969

Newcastle Top 3. :D
jamesedwards

Top 4:

1: City
2: Chelsea
3: Arsenal
4: Liverpool

Relegation: Brentford, Southampton, Fulham

Top Goalscorer : Haaland

First manager to get the chop: Hasenhuttl
Realrocknrolla

1 City
2 Arsenal
3 Chelsea
4 Liverpool

Adios - Bournemouth Leicester Forest

Scorer : Jesus

FSM : Rogers
Euler

Why Bournemouth are sleepwalking towards disaster

Chronically underfunded in the transfer market, Scott Parker faces one of the toughest tests of his managerial career

Have Bournemouth given themselves even a fighting chance of staying in the Premier League? It felt like a desperate plea for help from Scott Parker when, at the weekend, the manager said: “We’re way short of where we need to be.” And it sharpened the focus on the newly-promoted club.

Eight first-team players have left from the squad that went up last season. Just three have been signed. Two of those are free transfers – Joe Rothwell from Blackburn Rovers and Ryan Fredericks from West Ham United – and both are injured. Just £10 million has been spent, on midfielder Marcus Tavernier, and he only arrived from Middlesbrough this week, days before the season kicks off on Saturday at home to Aston Villa.

Little wonder Parker has suggested, quite remarkably if under-reported in the euphoria around England Women’s European Championship triumph, that the club did not “want to give ourselves a chance of being competitive” and the apparent lack of ambition has led to confusion and concern at Bournemouth.

There are storm clouds on the south-coast when fans should be relishing a return to the top-flight.

The logical conclusion is that Bournemouth are staring at going straight back down with the suspicion that owner Maxim Demin may not have the stomach, or perhaps even the finances, for the fight. Why else would he not invest or does he really believe the squad is good enough or is he simply prepared to accept relegation?

Rumours still swirl, having emerged last year, that the Russian businessman (with UK citizenship) may be looking to sell the club. No comment was forthcoming when Bloomberg first reported this. Clearly Bournemouth would be a far more attractive proposition now they back are in the Premier League while the situation has left Parker understandably cutting an increasingly frustrated figure.

For a young, ambitious manager it is an extremely tough position. Parker has done an excellent job at Bournemouth. Just as he did at Fulham. The 41-year-old has managed two seasons in the Championship, widely acknowledged as the hardest, most attritional of leagues, and gained promotion on both occasions. That is actually an unprecedented achievement.
Sandwiched in between is a relegation and the fear has to be that he has, again, been left with a squad clearly not equipped to even compete in the Premier League.

Bournemouth have just three central defenders

Even earning promotion was impressive. Parker lost Arnaut Danjuma for £20 million and replaced him with academy graduate Jaidon Anthony; one of four he promoted. High-earners such as goalkeeper Asmir Begovic and Diego Rico were moved on. He persuaded Dominic Solanke to stay, with the striker going on to score a career-best 30 goals last season.

A club that had finished sixth the year before, with a stronger squad, went up automatically. Reinforcements arrived in January but, of those, only striker Kieffer Moore has made a difference while Todd Cantwell, on loan from Norwich City, is one of the eight who has left along with centre-halves Nat Phillips (also on loan) and Gary Cahill.

In fact Bournemouth have just three central defenders. Their young captain Lloyd Kelly is certainly good enough but after him there is only Chris Mepham, who was not always a regular last season, and 20-year-old James Hill who was bought as a player to develop from League One Fleetwood Town and has made a couple of first-team appearances.

Just as alarmingly Bournemouth have only two goalkeepers – first-choice Mark Travers, 23, who replaced Begovic, and Will Dennis who has played one first-team game, an FA Cup tie, and has spent most of his career in Southern Counties football. What happens if Travers gets injured?

It appears Bournemouth are pinning their hopes of a small handful of players – Solanke (who needs support), Kelly, Lewis Cook, Philip Billing and Jefferson Lerma (who only has a year left on his contract) – and even more so on Parker’s nous, drive and coaching ability. But with the manager appearing frustrated, and becoming vocal in his frustration, is that sustainable? He desperately needs reinforcements and has called for two more defenders to be signed before the weekend but that looks unlikely.

https://apple.news/AzW4NSydET3u05tj6kidkUw
Archery1969

I may be mistaken or even making it up but didn't I read somewhere that a team which ping pongs between Championship and Premier League is onto a good earner due to promotion payments, TV funding and then parachute payments if/when relegated ? :roll:
wearthefoxhat

Top 4

Man City (cos they bought Kalvin Philips from Leeds)
Liverpool (cos they sold Mane and not Firmino)
Chelsea (cos they have Tuchel)
Spurs (cos they have Conte)

Top 4 are becoming predictable as they have the budgets to spend high and that in itself is a correlation for success over the years. Also the best managers are employed by them as well.

Relegation

Bournemouth (as outlined by PW)
Fulham (boing boing team)
Wolves (underlying stats were poor last year and their players are injury prone)

Southampton just have enough quality, but a repeat of results similar to the end of the season could find them getting sucked into a dogfight as Leeds were last season. Notts Forest will be one of those first season teams like Brentford last season and punch above their weight.
Trader Pat

Fox has put me to shame by explaining his choices so I'll put a little meat on the bones :D

1. Liverpool
(Conventional wisdom is LFC are weaker for losing Mane, I don't see it that way. The reason Salah scores so many goals is not just because he's damn good but also because the team creates so many chances. Having said that Salah and Mane's shot conversion rate is pretty poor (both last season were 16%, Darwin Nunez SCR 30%) I know the Premier Lge and Liga Nos is not comparing apples to apples but if Nunez gets the same number of chances as Mane, he'll score a tonne of goals, also becasue he's a proper centre forward he makes different runs to Salah.
2. City
Imo it will take some time for City and Haaland to adapt to each others style of play. Haaland is at his best running in behind so he'll score a lot of goals when the opposition is chasing the game but will he score as many against teams sat deep?
3. Spurs
Because they have Conte, Kane and have made some decent signings, Perisic could be an assist leader in the league.
4. Arsenal
I'll take Arsenal ahead of Utd. Ten Hag is a better coach than Arteta but Utd haven't reinforced the first team and their 'star player' wants out. Arteta is further down the road in developing his squad and they've brought in Jesus.

Relegation
Forest Throwing a lot of money at reinforcing the team and have brought in a lot of new signings. Villa spent £100m plus when they were promoted and only barely survived, Fulham did the same and went straight back down.
Bournemouth Seems to be a basket case of a club with no leadership in the boardroom.
Brentford Second season itis?

Honourable mentions Everton and Southampton.
I think both will be ok because they'll jettison their managers before its too late.
LeTiss

1st Liverpool
2nd Man Utd
3rd Man City
4th Arsenal

Relegated:
Bournemouth
Fulham
Southampton

Golden Boot - Salah
First Manager to be sacked - Hasenhuttl
jamesg46

Top 4

Liverpool
City
Tottenham
Chelsea

Relegated

Bournemouth
Southampton
Everton
MemphisFlash

Top 4
1. Leicester :ugeek:
2..Man Utd :D
3.Arsenal :D
4. Newcastle :D

relegated
Everton :D
Bournmouth :D
Fulham :D

FMS Parker :ugeek:
Euler

2022 - Summer spending.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Football trading”