Trading big matches on the result before kick off

Football, Soccer - whatever you call it. It is the beautiful game.
allankane

I am a relatively new trader, trading horses pre-off. I also have an under 2.5 goals machine learning algorithm that has been running for 2 years. It;s not for trading, but can be used that way.

In any event I was looking at the Real Madrid v Man City game earlier this week and I noticed in the pre-kick off market, a Man City win was trading like a cheltenham favourite. Essentially lots of money matched, lots of money available, but not really trading quickly. In any event the price was very static and I was wondering if anyone had tried trading pre-off football by scalping the touchpoint?

Thanks
Derek27

allankane wrote:
Thu May 11, 2023 3:14 pm
I am a relatively new trader, trading horses pre-off. I also have an under 2.5 goals machine learning algorithm that has been running for 2 years. It;s not for trading, but can be used that way.

In any event I was looking at the Real Madrid v Man City game earlier this week and I noticed in the pre-kick off market, a Man City win was trading like a cheltenham favourite. Essentially lots of money matched, lots of money available, but not really trading quickly. In any event the price was very static and I was wondering if anyone had tried trading pre-off football by scalping the touchpoint?

Thanks
When I'm waiting for a match to start I have an uncontrollable urge to dive in and get a head start on the match before kick-off. Usually I get a few scalps in but liquidity can be poor before the match goes in-play and just like horse racing, the market sometimes moves 5-8 ticks.
Dallas

allankane wrote:
Thu May 11, 2023 3:14 pm

Thanks
When the line up is announced you can often grab a few easy ticks by directional scalping, or if you miss that wait for the pull back if its a big enough move
If there isn't much movement (ie, no shocks/surprises in the line ups) it'll usually remain quite stable and be safe 'ish' to scalp in the run up to the off
allankane

Thanks fellas, never looked at this before. I did like how solid the prices were. Looking at this evenings game, leicester v liverpool, and its only 9am here. The graph lloks like this:
leic-liver.png
Ripe for directional scalping, not withstanding derek's comments about the 6 or 7 tick jump.

This also looks like something very simple to manage via automation, given the, potentially, simple rules and long waits for matched bets.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael5482

allankane wrote:
Mon May 15, 2023 8:26 am
Thanks fellas, never looked at this before. I did like how solid the prices were. Looking at this evenings game, leicester v liverpool, and its only 9am here. The graph lloks like this:

leic-liver.png

Ripe for directional scalping, not withstanding derek's comments about the 6 or 7 tick jump.

This also looks like something very simple to manage via automation, given the, potentially, simple rules and long waits for matched bets.
Don't forget there's plenty of others trying to do a similar thing it's a game of cat and mouse. Execution is just as good a tool as trying to predict odds movement in pre-kick off footy markets IMO especially when there's' 5k-10k+ at the 3 best back and lay prices on each selection.
allankane

Michael5482 wrote:
Mon May 15, 2023 10:21 am
allankane wrote:

leic-liver.png

Don't forget there's plenty of others trying to do a similar thing it's a game of cat and mouse. Execution is just as good a tool as trying to predict odds movement in pre-kick off footy markets IMO especially when there's' 5k-10k+ at the 3 best back and lay prices on each selection.
I don't disagree. I guess what I was driving at. Could these big games be traded pre-off with similar tactics to the big race meetings, with an obvious eye on when the teams are announced and other fundamentals around injury news etc.
Michael5482

allankane wrote:
Mon May 15, 2023 1:26 pm
Michael5482 wrote:
allankane wrote:

leic-liver.png

I don't disagree. I guess what I was driving at. Could these big games be traded pre-off with similar tactics to the big race meetings, with an obvious eye on when the teams are announced and other fundamentals around injury news etc.
I don't trade horses so no idea. I just put myself in advantageous positons, queue position is key for me. I don't get matched every market but thankfully the days of me yearning to get matched all the time because I feel I just had to trying to force trades that weren't there are long gone.
allankane

Michael5482 wrote:
Mon May 15, 2023 3:18 pm
allankane wrote:
Mon May 15, 2023 1:26 pm
Michael5482 wrote:

I don't trade horses so no idea. I just put myself in advantageous positons, queue position is key for me. I don't get matched every market but thankfully the days of me yearning to get matched all the time because I feel I just had to trying to force trades that weren't there are long gone.
I do something very similar with horses pre-off. I will not trade at the touchpoint. I look for advantageous places in the queue, preferably with lots of money to support me, just behind. Finally I am looking for those trades at the top and bottom of the traded range. It's a simple strategy and in plenty of races it's pointless even trying.

Return to “Football trading”