Roger Federer announces retirement

Euler

Will retire from competitive Tennis after the Laver cup.

Full announcement: -

https://twitter.com/rogerfederer/status ... 0685945856
Emmson

Not a great exit for Fed, he's just faded away slowly. Don't think that helps his legacy. Is he the GOAT? it's debateable.
greenmark

Emmson wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 2:44 pm
Not a great exit for Fed, he's just faded away slowly. Don't think that helps his legacy. Is he the GOAT? it's debateable.
Certainly one of the GOATs. Who is the GOAT is probably subjective, but I think everyone agrees he is high amongst the candidates.
Personally, I thoght he was the purest player. No double-naded backhands, amazing array of shots and that magical ability to raise his game to another level at key moments.
With Roger, Novak and Rafa all fading I don't see much to replace them. Alcaraz has his first major, but by comparison to the 1st 3, it's small beer.
Trader Pat

The GOAT debate should wait until the three of them are retired but it was tougher for Federer because he was never the chaser. Its like in F1 Schumacher probably wouldn't have retired when he did if he thought Hamilton was going to come along and equal his record. If Federer had known Nadal then Djokovic was going to catch him he might have tried even harder on the clay.

The three of them at their peak I think Federer is probably the best to watch even though the other two at their best are probably more exciting to watch.
Dallas

Don't think there is any disputing Nadal is the king of clay and by a long way but IMO the GOAT is Federer, but don't think there's much between him and Djokovic.
Djokovic certainly hasn't gotten the credit he deservers form a lot of people

Its certainly going to be interesting once they've all stepped down to see who if anyone fills the vacuum
LeTiss

Federer was a ballet dancer, where he so light on his feet
Nadal has the playing style of a matador
Djokovic is very robotic......effective, but boring
Trader Pat

Nadal has just paid tribute to him on Twitter and signed off by saying he'd see him at the Laver Cup. That will be some event; Federer, Nadal, Djokovic and Murray all taking part for team Europe.
Nadal and Federer playing doubles one last time. There will be lots of tears!
greenmark

LeTiss wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 5:12 pm
Nadal has the playing style of a matador
Djokovic is very robotic......effective, but boring
I agree but would suggest Djokovic deserves some credit for his extraordinary flexibility and strength to play shots in extremis.
But Federer never needed to do that , he was just very, very good and after early tantrums managed to channel his emotional energy into his play.
sniffer66

LeTiss wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 5:12 pm
You beat me to it. Elegant was the word I was going for. Just a very classy player.
I've also always loved a one handed backhander

Return to “Tennis Trading”