Trading using Pete Nordstead method?

alimc7599

I am trading using the Pete Nordstead method. I am after some help though as it is time consuming and I need to get on lots of matches to make it a worthwhile method, I am not new to Betfair as have done matched betting/trading for about 10 years but have never used BetAngel before and hope there may be a way of using it so I do not need to sit at the screen all night.

The method has a few rules to follow...

*Starting Price between 1.21-1.50 to be a viable option

*Lay as soon as price hits 1.25 in the first set, if not in 1st set bet is void (If the price has went up 10 ticks from SP then bet is void)

*If price goes to 1.13 double your lay bet

*Green up if price then goes up to 1.5

I could see there would be ways of automating this but with the rules being in the 1st set only I am not sure if there is a way to set this in motion and let the software do the work?
Dallas

Bet Angel has several dedicated 'Tennis Conditions' so you can trigger a bet based on any score/s in a match, who's serving, around breaks of serve even past set scores etc

For what you've asked for using the 'Tennis Fixed' score condition' you could set it to
Sets 0-0
Games ANY
Points ANY

And that would allow the rule to trigger anytime during just the first set when your price conditions are met
https://www.betangel.com/user-guide/ten ... score.html

To add some price conditions you just need one or more fixed odds conditions
https://www.betangel.com/user-guide/fixed_odds.html

If you have a look in the Tennis shared files section that will give you an idea of what can be done with Bet Angels Tennis automation, you could also copy ways rules are set up if you are unsure how to do it from scratch or if you are still stuck just post back
viewforum.php?f=51
alimc7599

Wow great reply, thank you. Will get back to you if need any further assistance.
Xeres

alimc7599 wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:57 pm
I am trading using the Pete Nordstead method. I am after some help though as it is time consuming and I need to get on lots of matches to make it a worthwhile method, I am not new to Betfair as have done matched betting/trading for about 10 years but have never used BetAngel before and hope there may be a way of using it so I do not need to sit at the screen all night.

*Lay as soon as price hits 1.25 in the first set, if not in 1st set bet is void (If the price has went up 10 ticks from SP then bet is void)

I could see there would be ways of automating this but with the rules being in the 1st set only I am not sure if there is a way to set this in motion and let the software do the work?
Have you had any luck with it/back tested it etc? I have that book too but I avoided it since I assumed it wouldn't work now he's told everyone about it. I don't watch any sports so if i can't automate it I don't usually bother and it seemed like a lot of work.
sniffer66

If that's all there is to the "method", it would be very straightforward to automate. You just need to grab the SP, using current price, at inplay time in the bot as BF don't send it in the API
sniffer66

Xeres wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:11 pm
alimc7599 wrote:

Have you had any luck with it/back tested it etc? I have that book too but I avoided it since I assumed it wouldn't work now he's told everyone about it. I don't watch any sports so if i can't automate it I don't usually bother and it seemed like a lot of work.
I'd be surprised if the method gave a long term edge but I can't see that publicising it would have any effect on success. So much liquidity in most tennis matches you wouldn't have an issue getting matched
rik

you can still get matched in liquid markets but if there is a higher percentage of people wanting to lay favourites because of strategies like this you can get a worse price, or even just one pro realising there is a longterm bias of favourites in the 1,25-1,5 range getting backed too low for that to be corrected

generic strategies like this are unlikely to have a strong edge to them, there is no way odds 1.25 bouncing back to 1.5 80% of the time or something like that

if automated you might lose the little longterm edge you have by losing half a tick trading in and out or risk getting matched by the fast guys if market making
Morbius

sniffer66 wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:17 pm
Xeres wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:11 pm
alimc7599 wrote:

I'd be surprised if the method gave a long term edge but I can't see that publicising it would have any effect on success. So much liquidity in most tennis matches you wouldn't have an issue getting matched

Its normal when someone puts something that you agree with to put +1 but to this I could put +100...in fact this isn't an opinion at all by factual in my mind. The mere fact that a system is so well publicised like this automatically reduces the effectiveness of the edge that's in it (if it ever existed at all). Seeing as I have never heard of this guy, I have no choice but to give him the benefit of the doubt.

There is an allure within all risk markets for people to utilise gimmicky methods that don't require work or can be automated. If you want to automate something then fine but for heaven's sake make it your own system and ideas. Then we have the longevity problem, do you really want to risk placing money onto a system when you may not be aware that it has reached or even passed it shelf life?

Markets adjust to known data, this is one of the three major types of market efficiency of strong, semi-strong and weak. Here's the thing with listening to the expertise of others, learn from them but be very wary of replicating. I have heard people criticise Euler for example because he "never says anything useful in his videos". Firstly he certainly does, you maybe have to look with better eyes and ears but secondly, if he blatantly came out and told you a working system...the clock would immediately start ticking on its effectiveness.

You must do your own work and research and make the system yours, "an edge shared is an edge halved" in my opinion. A system or method can be good and bad at the same time. Good in so much that the person is qualified to speak and the system has a proven record but it becomes bad once it is marketed. Designing your own system isn't difficult, its the other elements that are harder to master.
alimc7599

I agree you can’t just copy and hope for the best but from what I have tried so far I am in profit and would see automation of it as a way of testing the method over a larger scale and getting a true representation of if it is worthwhile. I do not need to use large stakes, minimal risk and high volume to test is the plan.
I trade the 2.5 goal market and DOB horse racing as well, I am just new to using software and need to find ways off making methods work without needing to sit at a computer all day as I just do this in my spare time.
If the method doesn’t provide positive results and the short term wins I am getting are a false reading then I can adapt and move on.

Return to “Tennis Trading”