Australian Open 2021

gazuty

Wonder how not training for the two week lead up will impact those players who are in a hard hotel lockdown because they caught a flight with COVID infected person in the flight.

The whole tournament might be cancelled is one possibility. The players negotiated hard to be allowed out to train - but that only applies if they haven’t been exposed on the flight or during their first 14 days in quarantine. If they get exposed - no more training and it’s 14 days in the hotel room without leaving. Found in the corridor and it’s a fine and deportation.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/tennis/ ... 56ulj.html
Trader Pat

At the very least you'd have to think it will be pushed backed by a few weeks?

Don't think any of the very top players are travelling by chartered plane they'll all have private jets or in Rafa's case his $5m custom built yacht
gazuty

Trader Pat wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:18 pm
Maybe but I guess then that just impacts on the rest of the tennis season and interefes with other tournaments/ schedules etc.

Sadly might all just be cancelled.

(As the news reports about all of this emerge there is of course a local overlay for those out of Australia to understand - about 70,000 Victorians are stuck in New South Wales at the moment and unable to return to their homes in Victoria because the Victorian Government declared Sydney a "hot spot". There have been a lot of complaints that Victorians can't return home from Sydney which has less than 5 new cases per day but Victoria can import 1200 people for the Open comprised of a few hundred tennis players, umpires, trainers, entourage and hangers on from Europe and the USA where its "out of control". Further discussion of this particular point should be over on the Coroavirus thread - viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20608 because this should be about tennis - just wanted readers to know this will impact Australian reporting of the issue in the link I posted earlier).
Trader Pat

gazuty wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:11 pm
Trader Pat wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:18 pm
Maybe but I guess then that just impacts on the rest of the tennis season and interefes with other tournaments/ schedules etc.

Sadly might all just be cancelled.

(As the news reports about all of this emerge there is of course a local overlay for those out of Australia to understand - about 70,000 Victorians are stuck in New South Wales at the moment and unable to return to their homes in Victoria because the Victorian Government declared Sydney a "hot spot". There have been a lot of complaints that Victorians can't return home from Sydney which has less than 5 new cases per day but Victoria can import 1200 people for the Open comprised of a few hundred tennis players, umpires, trainers, entourage and hangers on from Europe and the USA where its "out of control". Further discussion of this particular point should be over on the Coroavirus thread - viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20608 because this should be about tennis - just wanted readers to know this will impact Australian reporting of the issue in the link I posted earlier).

Absolutely, if I was from that part of the world I'd feel exactly the same.

As I type I'm watching the Rams - Packers playoff game and they have 6,000 fans attending, go figure!
mishac

Won't be cancelled. Victoria need the Australian Open, otherwise there is a risk (small) it might be moved in future. I live just north of Sydney and there is no doubt the Australian Open will go ahead. If anything, some players may not make it
mishac

There is no way it will be delayed - dates are locked in, with a few tournaments in the week leading into it. And no, Rafa came in on the same flights as everyone else. There are NO exceptions to standard quarantine, transport, etc. Victorian authorities aren't mucking around here to ensure there is nobody who passes Covid-19 onto the community at large. They went through a second 3 months of lock-down late last year. It won't happen again
gazuty

For trading purposes, players in "hard lockdown" (can't leave hotel room) so far v those in "semi lockdown" (can go outside to train at designated times).

HARD LOCKDOWN

Kei Nishikori; Pablo Cuevas; Santiago Gonzalez; Marta Kostyuk; Paula Badosa; Sorana Cirstea; Victoria Azarenka; Sloane Stephens; Angelique Kerber; Vasek Pospisil; Heather Watson.

Training in hard lockdown https://twitter.com/FiorinoLuca/status/ ... 83848?s=20

(I’ve stayed at that hotel in Melbourne - grand Hyatt - hope I don’t get that bed).

SEMIL LOCKDOWN (IN ADELAIDE)

Novak Djokovic; Rafael Nadal; Serena Williams; Naomi Osaka; Venus Williams; Dominic Thiem.

WITHDRAWALS

Roger Federer (injured); Andy Murray (positive test in Europe, not officially withdrawn but unlikely); Madison Keys (positive test); John Isner (didn’t want to be away from family).
Dallas

gazuty wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:34 am
For trading purposes, players in "hard lockdown" (can't leave hotel room) so far v those in "semi lockdown" (can go outside to train at designated times).

HARD LOCKDOWN

Kei Nishikori; Pablo Cuevas; Santiago Gonzalez; Marta Kostyuk; Paula Badosa; Sorana Cirstea; Victoria Azarenka; Sloane Stephens; Angelique Kerber; Vasek Pospisil; Heather Watson.

Training in hard lockdown https://twitter.com/FiorinoLuca/status/ ... 83848?s=20

(I’ve stayed at that hotel in Melbourne - grand Hyatt - hope I don’t get that bed).

SEMIL LOCKDOWN (IN ADELAIDE)

Novak Djokovic; Rafael Nadal; Serena Williams; Naomi Osaka; Venus Williams; Dominic Thiem.

WITHDRAWALS

Roger Federer (injured); Andy Murray (positive test in Europe, not officially withdrawn but unlikely); Madison Keys (positive test); John Isner (didn’t want to be away from family).
Yester I was reading reports of many players deeply unhappy about it saying they weren't briefed or understood how restricted they were going to be.

A combination of lack of training and the isolation of what could be upto one month for those that get to the later stages could throw up plenty of surprises

From a trading perspective I'm actually looking forward to it a bit more, I just hope the liquidity remains there or thereabouts.
But I do also think it will have an effect on the overall quality we get
gazuty

Now 72 players in hard lockdown- 3rd plane has positive test aboard.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/vict ... 56usj.html
Trader Pat

Not sure what anyone expected if you have a whole bunch of people on one flight
the4droogs

Dallas wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:15 pm

Yester I was reading reports of many players deeply unhappy about it saying they weren't briefed or understood how restricted they were going to be.
I also heard that the information was given in a conference that a lot of the players decided not to attend
Dallas wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:15 pm

From a trading perspective I'm actually looking forward to it a bit more, I just hope the liquidity remains there or thereabouts.
But I do also think it will have an effect on the overall quality we get
So do you think that the issues with lockdown will be built into the price? I was thinking of a strategy just plain laying all players who had been in enforced quarantine. But then again, with the amount of whining and overreacting the players have been doing, I guess the market could also overcompensate for the quarantine. Since this situation is unprecedented, I guess no one really knows.
Euler

Players, probably Australian, who are in full training should have an advantage you would think. But, of course, it will only be relative to their ranking anyhow.

Should mix things up, if it goes ahead!
rik

cant they just test again instead of staying in their rooms for 2 weeks? if they got it on the flight how long until it would show up in a test?
Trader Pat

https://twitter.com/7NewsMelbourne/stat ... 5654324226

Not sure who the bigger tool is Djokovic or Tomic's girlfriend... know who I'd rather be locked in a hotel room with though!
gazuty

rik wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:27 am
cant they just test again instead of staying in their rooms for 2 weeks? if they got it on the flight how long until it would show up in a test?
This is all from memory but I think it’s something like 90% in 5 days 99% in 10 days and 99.9% in 14 days - being time from day of exposure.

In standard Australian quarantine (so not for the tennis) I think testing is at day 11 and on an earlier day. Then to be released on day 14 must have passed both tests and have no symptoms. For tennis I think they are tested every day for first 14 days after arrival.

There is a bit more general info about the arrivals and tennis in this link - it doesn’t reference the figures I put up and so they might be misremembered
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/tennis/ ... 56v05.html

One thing - there are 50 players, mainly top players (the joker and Serena for example) who were allowed to quarantine in South Australia where the conditions are less onerous.

So maybe matches become more one sided against top seeds.

Return to “Tennis Trading”