Australian Open 2022

gazuty

@Kai - be interested if you have any views on this article- https://www.nytimes.com/2022/01/13/worl ... kovic.html
gazuty

Euler

Difficult to see how he could compete on a level basis here. I'm sure the government will not back down, even with a legal challenge.

I do think Djokovic has played a shocker here. Should have sorted this all out a long time ago if he really wanted to be there to become the GOAT and avoid all this.
gazuty

Just for trading info - Djokovic can either return to detention pending legal appeal or leave Australia.

At present it does not appear he can stay out of detention pending appeal. He has been asked to present himself to immigration for an interview on Saturday morning. He is not yet in detention and the comments on that detention pending legal appeal is my opinion (and understanding of the law).

I really don’t think he should constitute 30% of the market. That’s just my opinion. So I’ve backed the field without the Djoker within my risk tolerances.

The other bet that some are looking at is lay the Djoker.

If he doesn’t take to the court for round 1 the lay is void.

If he does take to the court the lay stands. He then has to win 7 matches off a dodgy preparation. 😳
jamesg46

gazuty wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:14 am
Just for trading info - Djokovic can either return to detention pending legal appeal or leave Australia.

At present it does not appear he can stay out of detention pending appeal. He has been asked to present himself to immigration for an interview on Saturday morning. He is not yet in detention and the comments on that detention pending legal appeal is my opinion (and understanding of the law).

I really don’t think he should constitute 30% of the market. That’s just my opinion. So I’ve backed the field without the Djoker within my risk tolerances.

If he does take to the court the lay stands. He then has to win 7 matches off a dodgy preparation. 😳
Thanks for the post!
wearthefoxhat

Euler wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:00 am
Difficult to see how he could compete on a level basis here. I'm sure the government will not back down, even with a legal challenge.

I do think Djokovic has played a shocker here. Should have sorted this all out a long time ago if he really wanted to be there to become the GOAT and avoid all this.
Theoretically, now the visa has been cancelled, Novak can't re-apply for 3 more years!
gazuty

wearthefoxhat wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:34 am
Theoretically, now the visa has been cancelled, Novak can't re-apply for 3 more years!
Yep. Of course the minister can exercise a discretion on that three years but given everything that has happened I can’t see any minister doing that in the next three years.

In addition there is the possibility of being granted a bridging Visa allowing him to be in the community pending a legal appeal however that is not the usual path for the government and even less so that a court would direct the government issue a bridging Visa. (All my opinion only based on my understanding).
jamesg46

wearthefoxhat wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:34 am
Euler wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:00 am

He can apply for a Bridging Visa but that doesn’t automatically come with working rights so he’s gotta two battles in court and then an uphill battle on court if it does get granted.
jamesg46

Former immigration department secretary.

https://youtu.be/BXbuQFz6VfE
gazuty

asaele

gazuty wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:14 am

Agree, have both a back the field and lay Djoko position at the moment.
You have to pay 115% to back the field now though, probably still worth it. You can of course skip some of the 1000 oddsers.

The Djoko trade value is depending on the likelyhood of him having to leave after the tournament has started. With all this mess, including lawyers anything is possible. If he was guaranteed to finish the tournament if starting I would rather back at 3.5 than lay. Don't think preparations matter too much, as he will get in shape during the first few rounds.
sionascaig

There is a link to to the court feed here (11:13 update)... Shows arguments so far atm..

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/live/ ... alex-hawke
gazuty

Ordered back into detention (subject to being allowed time out to spend time with his lawyers).
Derek27

All this hassle just to avoid a harmless jab. :lol:
jamesg46

Derek27 wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:13 pm
All this hassle just to avoid a harmless jab. :lol:
I’m not much for the word harmless “not able or ‘likely’ to cause harm”. Although technically correct (about the jab) it comes across somewhat deceiving. It’s pretence imo.

We know there are side effects, although unlikely, so let’s umbrella it with the word harmless.

Just my opinion, as we were. 😔

Return to “Tennis Trading”