Tennis retiring

ackeiyword

Under the betfair rules it says" If the first set is not completed all bets on this market will be void."

But what if one of the players retires after the first set is completed? and I have an open position on one of the players?
Caerus

Unfortunately you lose!

This happened to me a couple of years back when I back Nadal to beat Davydenko. Half way through the first set Nadal looked like he was carrying an injury but he hung on until the end of the 1st set before he retired :(

Its just one of those things that happen every now and then but it shouldnt impact your results too much over time as long as you dont have your whole bank invested in one match.
rik

any strategy for this? had a big bet in the market krajinovic vs tiafoe much larger stake than i would bet if i wasnt trading just on service games. krajinovic retires after first set without any injury or warning sign, my bet gets taken...
always that risk i guess if your market making that player retires?? totally unexpected retirement one second to the other all stake gone very annoying
Derek27

rik wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:33 am
any strategy for this? had a big bet in the market krajinovic vs tiafoe much larger stake than i would bet if i wasnt trading just on service games .... totally unexpected retirement one second to the other all stake gone very annoying
I can't imagine what a big bet is by your standards given how lax you were on the Auzzie thread, but personally I think a good strategy is to spread your investment and try to get a high strike-rate/return, not having to worry about the ones that fall by the wayside, rather than having a big bet and getting annoyed when it goes wrong.
Kafkaesque

rik wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:33 am
any strategy for this? had a big bet in the market krajinovic vs tiafoe much larger stake than i would bet if i wasnt trading just on service games. krajinovic retires after first set without any injury or warning sign, my bet gets taken...
always that risk i guess if your market making that player retires?? totally unexpected retirement one second to the other all stake gone very annoying
Like you said, the risk is always there, so there's no overall strategy, I would think. Two things to consider though, if you want to limit damage.

Avoid having too much exposure right as the first ends and for the first couple of games of the second as this is where the vast majority of retires happen.

Also avoid unneccesary exposure in tournaments the week before a slam. Players will be much more inclined to take zero chances with a niggle, when having to fight back from a set down, to win prize money and ranking points that's a fraction of what's at stake next week.
Black Ice

Good advice Kafcaesque...tks for sharing.
Kai

It is something that everyone should be aware of when trading tennis as a potential danger first and foremost (just like an outage that suddenly turns your trades into bets), that's why some traders view medicals in particular as potential opportunities while others just view them as a nuisance. Met a trader that had the habit of scalping a tick or two during the set breaks using his entire bank, until one of the players suddenly called it quits and retired erasing his entire trading bank in the process. And yet he knew all about this rule, but he always figured that he could see it and react in time.

Return to “Tennis Trading”