Ethereum goes proof-of-stake

Kai

Historic day for crypto as Ethereum completes 'Merge' upgrade : https://edition.cnn.com/2022/09/15/tech ... index.html

This effectively ends GPU-accelerated mining (good fking riddance) so GPU prices are finally coming down to planet Earth, and with next gen GPU's and CPU's just around the corner it's probably a good time to invest in new PC builds or upgrade existing ones etc.
Trader Pat

Kai wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 2:31 pm
Historic day for crypto as Ethereum completes 'Merge' upgrade : https://edition.cnn.com/2022/09/15/tech ... index.html

This effectively ends GPU-accelerated mining (good fking riddance) so GPU prices are finally coming down to planet Earth, and with next gen GPU's and CPU's just around the corner it's probably a good time to invest in new PC builds or upgrade existing ones etc.
Hopefully prices drop soon. An RTX 2060 Super doesn't have as much oomph as I thought it would when used with a 43 inch 4k monitor
Kai

Trader Pat wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 2:36 pm
Hopefully prices drop soon. An RTX 2060 Super doesn't have as much oomph as I thought it would when used with a 43 inch 4k monitor
Well RTX 3000 series have been dropping in price all year, the high end ones, some are already going below MSRP.

Ofc Nvidia will try and manipulate the market by withholding their overstocked inventories to keep the prices there so they can just layer the next gen 4000s on top of it over the next 2-3 quarters. But once the cypto miners desperately flood the used market with their cards it wouldn't even surprise me if used RTX 3090 go as low as 300-400 pounds.

Another major event here is the GTC keynote on September 20 where they should announce the RTX 4000 series, can't wait for that one, the leaked performance increases were ridiculous. Afaik launch for RTX 4090 is expected in October. Would suggest to wait a bit more to see what next gen brings to the table.
Trader Pat

Kai wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 3:14 pm
Trader Pat wrote:
Well RTX 3000 series have been dropping in price all year, the high end ones, some are already going below MSRP.

Ofc Nvidia will try and manipulate the market by withholding their overstocked inventories to keep the prices there so they can just layer the next gen 4000s on top of it over the next 2-3 quarters. But once the cypto miners desperately flood the used market with their cards it wouldn't even surprise me if used RTX 3090 go as low as 300-400 pounds.

Another major event here is the GTC keynote on September 20 where they should announce the RTX 4000 series, can't wait for that one, the leaked performance increases were ridiculous. Afaik launch for RTX 4090 is expected in October. Would suggest to wait a bit more to see what next gen brings to the table.
Yeah I'm going to wait until the new year and see what the market looks like then. Like you say there should be some good deals to be had!
Kai

Looks like Ether went down about 15% after miners cashed out, it's generally expected to at least quadruple in value by 2025. I love how they named the whole roadmap, after Merge comes the Surge, Verge, Purge and Splurge!

Miners aren't finding any other coins profitable on any GPUs yet, it all seems completely dead but many aren't giving up yet.

As for the GPUs themselves, Nvidia launched their new stuff yesterday but it's a borderline scam, they've lost the plot completely, consumed by corporate greed over these mining shenanigans SMH.
Crazyskier

Trader Pat wrote:
Kai wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 2:31 pm

I recently spilled water on my GeForce RTX 2070 and wanted to replace with a 2060 Super as they are quite a bit cheaper than the GeForce RTX 2070, however the fact I use a curved 2560 x 1440 monitor with 144hz and play PoE / Diablo 3 / Wow from time to time, meant that I had to find the extra pennies for the 2070. The 2060S is some way behind the 2070 in terms of outright performance, sadly.

CS
Kai

Crazyskier wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 1:49 pm
I recently spilled water on my GeForce RTX 2070 and wanted to replace with a 2060 Super as they are quite a bit cheaper than the GeForce RTX 2070, however the fact I use a curved 2560 x 1440 monitor with 144hz and play PoE / Diablo 3 / Wow from time to time, meant that I had to find the extra pennies for the 2070. The 2060S is some way behind the 2070 in terms of outright performance, sadly.
Years ago I spilled orange juice all over my mesh PC case and the graphics card was the only thing that didn't survive :)

Yeah, RTX 2070 is perfectly fine for 1440p gaming. Although you could consider going 240hz soon, would make all that action a bit smoother overall, in recent years it has been more than viable both in terms of price and performance. Usually team red (AMD) is more competitive at these ranges than Nvidia who seem more interested in their AI tech than the GPU industry.

I'm a bit of an enthusiast and need good competitive 1080p performance for Apex Legends, but for new fancy single player stuff I'm thinking it could be time to go for 4k as well since new cards can finally run it at decent fps.

Return to “Cryptocurrency”