Back the Leader if Clear and in final Stages (Sniping) - Guardian Automation Bot

Dallas

This is a basic Guardian automation rule for use on In-Running horse racing markets

The bot will place a back bet using a £10 stake at 10 ticks below the best reverse market price when the following conditions are met for ANY runner
>Runner must be leading the race*
>Runner is 8 or more meters clear of 2nd place*
> There is less than 15% of the race remaining

*(by actual race position not betting order)

Please note you will need to be using at least V1.58 to use this file, if you are using a older version you can download V1.58 from here
https://www.betangel.com/download/?product=BetAngelPro

This rules file will also require an active subscription to Total Data Performance to use the real-time GPS data
https://www.tpd.zone/subscribe/

How it works and using the Rules File
Once you have it imported into your Guardian you can edit those (or any other parts of the file) anyway you want or remove them and add your own rules to use the recent form very easily by clicking on "Edit Rules File".

Please refer to the 'Note' tab for a more detailed explanation on how each rule works and how it may be connected/linked to other rules within the file
Notes.JPG

Downloading and Importing the Files
To use the file just click on the 'Back Leader if Well Clear in Closing Stages.baf' link below and that will download it to your computer, then with guardian open on the "Automation" tab click "Import a Rules File" as shown in the image, once imported it will now appear in the pick list area just above, you can now apply it to any markets you have added into guardian.

To see a video tutorial on how to download and import an automation file into your Bet Angel please see this link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7Im4pj683g
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kevchall

Hi just a note of warning. I downloaded this file and adjusted it slightly (just reduced the distance of the leader over second) been using at and working as expected, that is until one race today, I watched as the leader pulled clear in the final stages, a bet appeared in the race as expected. Unfortunately the horse backed was priced at 186. The automation worked all the other times, this tells me that the data showing which horse was in front was incorrect, I can only assume that they mixed up the GPS trackers on the horses, as when the trigger activated (at the time it should have) it has clearly back something near the rest of the pack. They must of had a mix up with the trackers, not good at all. Paying a lot for the data, it needs to solid.
Dallas

kevchall wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:48 pm
Hi just a note of warning. I downloaded this file and adjusted it slightly (just reduced the distance of the leader over second) been using at and working as expected, that is until one race today, I watched as the leader pulled clear in the final stages, a bet appeared in the race as expected. Unfortunately the horse backed was priced at 186. The automation worked all the other times, this tells me that the data showing which horse was in front was incorrect, I can only assume that they mixed up the GPS trackers on the horses, as when the trigger activated (at the time it should have) it has clearly back something near the rest of the pack. They must of had a mix up with the trackers, not good at all. Paying a lot for the data, it needs to solid.
If there'd been a mix up with the transponders that would of effected and been seen by loads of people who were trading that race, so I would have thought there'd be a lot of people posting about it on here, twitter etc but I've not seen any posts or reports except yours

If you let me know which race you are referring and post your BA log from that race I'll double check it against the TPD and data here
Realrocknrolla

Dallas wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:20 pm
kevchall wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:48 pm
If there'd been a mix up with the transponders that would of effected and been seen by loads of people who were trading that race, so I would have thought there'd be a lot of people posting about it on here, twitter etc but I've not seen any posts or reports except yours

If you let me know which race you are referring and post your BA log from that race I'll double check it against the TPD and data here
All races spot on today.
SomeDude

Hi all

I've been playing with this automation (thanks Dallas for this framework and all the others you've provided!!) and with TPD more generally and have found that errors and inconsistencies with TPD are relatively common, beyond normal margin of error issues. People reporting problems aren't making it up.

Here's an example, with data taken from the same refresh (and I'm paying for the faster response services):

9/12/2021 09:56:25: [G_Auto 1] : Store Value (Shared) for M V Speed: runner_position = 1
9/12/2021 09:56:25: [G_Auto 1] : Store Value (Shared) for M V Speed: percentage_remaining = 0.22
9/12/2021 09:56:25: [G_Auto 1] : Store Value (Shared) for M V Speed: distance_remaining = 3.1
9/12/2021 09:56:25: [G_Auto 1] : Store Value (Shared) for M V Speed: distance_behind_leader = 0
9/12/2021 09:56:25: [G_Auto 1] : Store Value (Shared) for M V Speed: velocity = 13.76
9/12/2021 09:56:25: [G_Auto 1] : Store (range calc) Value (Shared) for M V Speed: AvgVelocityLast10Secs = 14.36

9/12/2021 09:56:25: [G_Auto 1] : Store Value (Shared) for Divine Control: runner_position = 2
9/12/2021 09:56:25: [G_Auto 1] : Store Value (Shared) for Divine Control: percentage_remaining = 0.135
9/12/2021 09:56:25: [G_Auto 1] : Store Value (Shared) for Divine Control: distance_remaining = 1.9
9/12/2021 09:56:25: [G_Auto 1] : Store Value (Shared) for Divine Control: distance_behind_leader = 1.6
9/12/2021 09:56:25: [G_Auto 1] : Store Value (Shared) for Divine Control: velocity = 14.85
9/12/2021 09:56:25: [G_Auto 1] : Store (range calc) Value (Shared) for Divine Control: AvgVelocityLast10Secs = 15.113

Notice anything unusual?

M V Speed is shown as leading, with 3.1m remaining, velocity 13.76.
Divine Control is shown as second, with 1.9 remaining, velocity 14.85, and running 1.6 behind M V Speed.

So, Divine Control is somehow in second place, yet with less distance to go.. and, at the same time, behind M V Speed. (By the way, this wasn't a momentary glitch... the logs show this for quite some time, I just snipped logs towards the end for demonstration purposes.)

As it turns out, Divine Control won the race, with M V Speed showing in first place the entire time and Divine Control showing both behind the leader and ahead by distance and percent remaining. Put another way, Divine Control got to 0 distance remaining before M V Speed, yet still showed 1.6 behind M V Speed and in second place.

Even assuming some margins of error in telemetry sent (the reported speed, exact location, etc., may be off by a bit), this cannot be explained, as there should be zero margin of error in calculations based off telemetry sent (i.e., using the reported data...say, distance remaining... to infer position, e.g., if horse A has the least distance left, it is leading).

The cynic in me says that if you were to be psychic and know what is being reported incorrectly, you could make an absolute fortune. An automated influx of back bets for a horse actually losing creates a wonderful lay opportunity.... but no one is psychic, right?

I've contacted TPD with a number of questions, asking for full technical detail around feeds, known margins of error, how certain information is calculated, etc. Depending on what they provide (or if they even answer), I may or may not have more comfort with their product and services. Ultimately, transparency is key to being able to trust the service.

In the meantime, please be careful using TPD (or any other real-time data service). Even if they're committed to being as accurate as possible, errors do happen and these errors could cost you real money if you don't have compensating controls in place. Use them if you like, but assume problems will happen.
PeterLe

SomeDude wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:09 pm
Hi all

I've been playing with this automation (thanks Dallas for this framework and all the others you've provided!!) and with TPD
Good post. Just out of interest how many races did you use the automation on and was the overall profit greater than the losses? I lose on many races with my automation but the wins exceed the losses over all...

Just a though...you could create a signal 'stop' for the market based on the P&L of each selection and whether the selection os less than say -£10, same for the number of matched bets etc and included in the conditions..Same for the selection you are backing, stop when the P&L exceeds say £100 , depends upon how quick the rearm is set but it may help

Id also not use the TPD in isolation. If the distance to finish of the leader is say <20m and the second horse is 6 meters behind, there is probably something wrong if the leader is avail to back for 20 for eg. and other combinations

The only other thing Id add is that if you make your automation bullet proof you will miss some good opportunities as it will fire less often and when it does you will be late to the party..its a fine balancing act
SomeDude

PeterLe wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:55 pm
SomeDude wrote:
Hi all

I've been playing with this automation (thanks Dallas for this framework and all the others you've provided!!) and with TPD
Good post. Just out of interest how many races did you use the automation on and was the overall profit greater than the losses? I lose on many races with my automation but the wins exceed the losses over all...

Just a though...you could create a signal 'stop' for the market based on the P&L of each selection and whether the selection os less than say -£10, same for the number of matched bets etc and included in the conditions..Same for the selection you are backing, stop when the P&L exceeds say £100 , depends upon how quick the rearm is set but it may help

Id also not use the TPD in isolation. If the distance to finish of the leader is say <20m and the second horse is 6 meters behind, there is probably something wrong if the leader is avail to back for 20 for eg. and other combinations

The only other thing Id add is that if you make your automation bullet proof you will miss some good opportunities as it will fire less often and when it does you will be late to the party..its a fine balancing act
I've only tested this automation on around 300 races thus far, so not infinite data, but definitely enough to get a flavour for what works and what can be problematic. I'm still in the negative unfortunately, but mainly because of a couple of early tests where my stakes were too large for testing and I didn't have controls in place to identify and/or counter errors... stupid, rookie errors. I was a bit optimistic that the data would be accurate and I only had to deal with published margins of error. As it turns out, the information is generally, roughly correct, but can be wildly wrong sometimes! Now that I have a better feel, I've got much tighter controls in place and am consistently getting positive returns... though I'm still in testing phase with small stakes. I'll likely come positive soon (unless I've missed something else) and from that point it'll all be gravy for a while (until too many hit on the same approach and my profits disappear).

You're exactly right on your last two points:
1) never use TPD in isolation; put in plenty of controls and conditions to manage the risk. To anyone planning to test, ask yourself what could go wrong and what would you do to counter or prevent it.
2) Risk / Reward is absolutely a balancing act. I'm not necessarily risk averse, but my approach and motto is to get rich slowly. I'd rather small consistent returns than higher volatility. This approach means that my triggers don't hit as often as they would if I tweaked the settings a bit, so I'm probably leaving some money on the table. That approach works for me, as I consider myself a trader who looks for situations with +EV rather than a gambler who rolls the dice.... but I know it won't work for others... and that's ok too! Of course, the flip side to being conservative is that my losses are minimised and even when the approach stops working (and, in my experience, this is inevitable), I won't actually lose money, I'll just stop making profit.

Still, I'm looking forward to hearing from TPD regarding the questions I asked them. To be clear, I'm not saying they're doing anything wrong... but, I've got enough instances of the math not working out that I'd like some type of explanation, accounting, or independent audit. Even if there's a genuine bug or two, my concern is that these could be easily exploited and that makes the game rigged (intentionally or not). I want to understand how they identify these problems, how they fix them, how they provide assurance that they're fixed, how they provide assurance that they stay fixed, etc.... especially if I'm paying a massive (at least for me) premium to use the product regularly.
SomeDude

SomeDude wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:46 am
PeterLe wrote:
SomeDude wrote:
Hi all

I've only tested this automation on around 300 races thus far, so not infinite data, but definitely enough to get a flavour for what works and what can be problematic. I'm still in the negative unfortunately, but mainly because of a couple of early tests where my stakes were too large for testing and I didn't have controls in place to identify and/or counter errors... stupid, rookie errors. I was a bit optimistic that the data would be accurate and I only had to deal with published margins of error. As it turns out, the information is generally, roughly correct, but can be wildly wrong sometimes! Now that I have a better feel, I've got much tighter controls in place and am consistently getting positive returns... though I'm still in testing phase with small stakes. I'll likely come positive soon (unless I've missed something else) and from that point it'll all be gravy for a while (until too many hit on the same approach and my profits disappear).

1) never use TPD in isolation; put in plenty of controls and conditions to manage the risk. To anyone planning to test, ask yourself what could go wrong and what would you do to counter or prevent it.
2) Risk / Reward is absolutely a balancing act. I'm not necessarily risk averse, but my approach and motto is to get rich slowly. I'd rather small consistent returns than higher volatility. This approach means that my triggers don't hit as often as they would if I tweaked the settings a bit, so I'm probably leaving some money on the table. That approach works for me, as I consider myself a trader who looks for situations with +EV rather than a gambler who rolls the dice.... but I know it won't work for others... and that's ok too! Of course, the flip side to being conservative is that my losses are minimised and even when the approach stops working (and, in my experience, this is inevitable), I won't actually lose money, I'll just stop making profit.

Still, I'm looking forward to hearing from TPD regarding the questions I asked them. To be clear, I'm not saying they're doing anything wrong... but, I've got enough instances of the math not working out that I'd like some type of explanation, accounting, or independent audit. Even if there's a genuine bug or two, my concern is that these could be easily exploited and that makes the game rigged (intentionally or not). I want to understand how they identify these problems, how they fix them, how they provide assurance that they're fixed, how they provide assurance that they stay fixed, etc.... especially if I'm paying a massive (at least for me) premium to use the product regularly.

Just a quick update on this. TPD has replied to my inquiry and, while they haven't yet answered some questions, they did provide me with a lot of detail which I need to digest. I'll post more once I've got a handle on what they've provided.
SomeDude

SomeDude wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:57 am
SomeDude wrote:
PeterLe wrote:

Just a quick update on this. TPD has replied to my inquiry and, while they haven't yet answered some questions, they did provide me with a lot of detail which I need to digest. I'll post more once I've got a handle on what they've provided.
As update, I've learned a bit more now. TPD will not release or provide post-race data or analysis to normal paying customers. They said that they only provide that information to the massive corporate customers paying huge dollars... so, if you want to see a post-race audit or assessment, forget about it. This seems really strange to me, as any paying customer can grab the API stream and save that data... so, it's not the in-play performance data they're protecting, it's the details and explanations of errors and screw-ups... which is what I would expect them to want to be transparent about. When pushed, they simply said that I'll have to trust that the big players are asking the tough questions. They may be right, but I'd still like to see it for myself.

When pushed about a number of very specific errors I've logged that cannot be solely explained by margin of error issues, they told me that they have passed the logs to the developers for review and they'll get back to me when they've fully reviewed. I'll post again when I get their reply.
SomeDude

SomeDude wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:11 pm
SomeDude wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:57 am
SomeDude wrote:

As update, I've learned a bit more now. TPD will not release or provide post-race data or analysis to normal paying customers. They said that they only provide that information to the massive corporate customers paying huge dollars... so, if you want to see a post-race audit or assessment, forget about it. This seems really strange to me, as any paying customer can grab the API stream and save that data... so, it's not the in-play performance data they're protecting, it's the details and explanations of errors and screw-ups... which is what I would expect them to want to be transparent about. When pushed, they simply said that I'll have to trust that the big players are asking the tough questions. They may be right, but I'd still like to see it for myself.

When pushed about a number of very specific errors I've logged that cannot be solely explained by margin of error issues, they told me that they have passed the logs to the developers for review and they'll get back to me when they've fully reviewed. I'll post again when I get their reply.
I still haven't heard from devs, but I've continued to experiment and I have a great example of why you need to be careful when using the data. Check out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6AnwIfgmBs . This is the 4th race at Gulfstream Park on 16 Dec 2021. This view is great because it overlays the TPD data on top of the actual runners. Watch the TPD overlay compared to the actual runner behaviour. Essentially, these horses are outside the published typical positional margin of error (MoE), which is 1.5m... but the raw data also shows a calculated velocity MoE, as 7 was clearly gaining on 2 at the end, but the raw data shows 7 as travelling marginally slower, both for momentary velocity and velocity over last 10 seconds. As Peter has said, you'll never get mm accuracy and TPD is overall a great tool....BUT, please go in with your eyes fully open. If you don't allow for errors in positioning and velocity, you will eventually get caught out, especially if you're sniping.
wearthefoxhat

I wonder if this bot would have picked up this winner (27.Dec.21)

An Forghas.png
An Forghas2.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Martybhoy99

Lol unfortunately not - TPD doesnt cover Limerick. Im still working on final automation rules but I havent managed to capture a large winner as yet.

Think the next question would be - at what price would that horse wouldve been at WHEN the bot picks it up ;)
PeterLe

SomeDude wrote:
Fri Dec 17, 2021 3:35 am
[ Check out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6AnwIfgmBs . This is the 4th race at Gulfstream Park on 16 Dec 2021. This view is great because it overlays the TPD data on top of the actual runners. Watch the TPD overlay compared to the actual runner behaviour. Essentially, these horses are outside the published typical positional margin of error (MoE), which is 1.5m... but the raw data also shows a calculated velocity MoE, as 7 was clearly gaining on 2 at the end, but the raw data shows 7 as travelling marginally slower, both for momentary velocity and velocity over last 10 seconds. As Peter has said, you'll never get mm accuracy and TPD is overall a great tool....BUT, please go in with your eyes fully open. If you don't allow for errors in positioning and velocity, you will eventually get caught out, especially if you're sniping.
Thanks for posting that. Yes its as clear as day there is a problem with that particular race.
Not sure who you are talking to at TPD but I found George Swindells really helpful when I was setting mine up (on my own software not BA)

Good luck with this, hope you crack it. Some of the folk on the Betfairlightweight slack group are having a lot of success, ive still got an open mind for now
wearthefoxhat

Martybhoy99 wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 2:24 pm
Lol unfortunately not - TPD doesnt cover Limerick. Im still working on final automation rules but I havent managed to capture a large winner as yet.

Think the next question would be - at what price would that horse wouldve been at WHEN the bot picks it up ;)
Dang, you're right! :lol:
SomeDude

Just an update on all this. I still don't have any answers from TPD (possibly the holidays), but I'm not giving up. I think there are a number of people who will benefit by knowing what's happening.

Return to “TPD / Total Performance Data”