TPD accuracy & reliability question.

Integrate live racecourse data into your favourite Betfair trading interface from TPD.
Ambettor

Is there any up to date data on the reliability & accuracy of TPD? I'd love to start using it but it would be good to learn the opinion of other users before wasting cash on what seems to be an unreliable service. 'Look forward to hearing from anyone regarding this topic. I have a few ideas if anyone is interested in collaboration. I think it might be possible to win in play under certain conditions.
Raskol(nee Kov)

I've only seen videos of people using it and people recommending it.
I notice that TPD is attempting to show whether horses are running above or below par times in races. This is a very very complicated topic and I'd be curious to know what par times they are using. Is it par times for the grade, the track, the time of year, the age, ground?
Calculating par times is a notoriously difficult thing to do, due to the very narrow band of horses you're assessing, especially at tracks which feature a lot of lower-grade races. Often you'll hear pundits complain about standard times at certain tracks being much faster than the course record. Well, there is a simple reason for that and it is to do with the lack of top-quality horses which are likely to have competed there.
Anyway, I'm aware some people use the service.
xtrader16

TPD is just another part of the puzzle, similar to a form guide. I've used it for around 6 months and to be honest it is quite good at times. The only negative thing I'd say is it pulled me back into In running trading where 80% of my losses came from. It probably not a good idea for me to revert back to IR as it makes me lazy and if you think you can rely on this TPD information 100%, you will get burnt. It provides information like other services but its still down to you to control your risk. I find it makes me lazy and I get smacked for it all the time. I'm not convinced by the times/splits but that is probably because I don't know how to use that information to such an effect. Try it, its £25 and if you smash your bank up that's on you not TPD.
jamesedwards

Is it accurate enough to let you smash 1.01 on the winner before everyone else? No.

Does it improve your visibility of race dynamics, facilitate better and faster decision making, and allow for in-play automation? Yes.

I wouldn't trade in-play without it.
richardhenri

It is a useful tool for in running against slow pictures and wil be interesting to see how it holds up when they eventually get the rest of UK racecourses onboard. Saying that, the customer service is poor and they are prone to break downs in middle of meetings and never seem to post any updates on their twitter feeds (who uses telegram?!). They cancelled service yesterday at Ffos Las due to illness but you would only have known that if you go to their website and check the race status page in advance. I don't feel like they are relying on individual subscriptions for their income, possibly because there is no competition, their responses to queries can be slow at times. Unless you pay for the standard (£60/month) speed or higher you are wasting your time and money.
Euler

jamesedwards wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2023 4:23 pm
Is it accurate enough to let you smash 1.01 on the winner before everyone else? No.

Does it improve your visibility of race dynamics, facilitate better and faster decision making, and allow for in-play automation? Yes.

I wouldn't trade in-play without it.
This echo's my view

I think people who claim it isn't good enough are generally using it incorrectly.

When I saw this technology I jumped at the chance to adopt it and we put it into Bet Angel at no cost to users and we receive no revenue for promoting it. We did it because it's a transformative technology.

My in-play trading has been completely transformed by it. So it's always really surprising to see people saying they don't think it's value. We even had discussion with TPD around pricing, which they lowered significantly to reach this market.

If you can't see it's value, then you should be looking again at what you are using it for and how.
jamesedwards

richardhenri wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:28 am
... and never seem to post any updates on their twitter feeds (who uses telegram?!).
I didn't know they had Telegram. Anyone know the handle?
Geordie

jamesedwards wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2023 7:29 pm
richardhenri wrote:
... and never seem to post any updates on their twitter feeds (who uses telegram?!).
https://t.me/TPDZone
jamesedwards

Geordie wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2023 6:24 am
jamesedwards wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2023 7:29 pm
richardhenri wrote:
https://t.me/TPDZone
Thanks!
iDooze

My personal experience has been super positive with TPD. I've spoken with the TPD team on many occasions and they couldn't be more helpful when I had issues or questions. You have to understand that using TPD isn't always going to be 100% accurate as issues do arise from time to time and the data sometimes is inaccurate (I know TPD does their best to mitigate these issues). That said, the overwhelming majority of the time I believe TPD provides an edge in the market that you cannot get anywhere else. It is a very unique product and has revolutionised my trading.

If you want to avoid inaccurate data, my recommendation is to use TPD in conjuction with different parameters that reduce the ability for skewed data that leads to avoidable losses (ie. use it with set prices, TPD refresh rate, limits on stored values etc). Very appreciative to Peter and Betangel for bringing TPD to us users. It has taken me many months of trial and error to fully best utilize the data provided by TPD and is incredibly powerful when applied to the right strategy and market.

Return to “Bet Angel - Total Performance Data - FAQ's”