Is there a way? or rule? Loss Recovery

Don't chase your losses, it doesn't work. You will eventually bust your bank.
Derek27

PapaShango wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:52 pm
Yes, only ever saw a couple of actual “stop at a winner” slips, and they were usually only ever staked in pence anyway as as you said, they had to pay the full stake up front. If they do get a winner, the rest get refunded as non runners.

It’s probably being asked to pay the full stake up front that makes you realise what a bad idea it is.

It was far more common to see people attempt it like the pensioner. He clearly needed a couple of unexpected trips to the bank or building society that day, though he survived, for me to tell the tale. ( I imagine he is dead now, he was very old back then, and that staking plan couldn’t have done much for his heart health).
I always thought of it as a quit while your ahead strategy rather than for the Martingale. :)
Last edited by Derek27 on Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Derek27

PapaShango wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:13 pm
sniffer66 wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:18 pm
Every time I see these threads I start singing White Lines, by Grandmaster Flash, in my head.
…a magic betting system, there in black and white,
a multi-million dollars, almost overnight,
twice as much on this bet, twice as much on that,
and if you get hooked, baby, it’s nobody else’s fault, SO DONT DO IT… !
That's not the real lyrics, is it? :lol:

Edit: I've just looked them up, that's a pretty good adaption. :D
wearthefoxhat

Memories...cue Barbera Streisand.... https://www.bing.com/search?q=barbera+s ... 54DD448945

I remember a greyhound system called, Greyform, specifically for Hackney greyhounds. (closed 1997)

It was a "cover to win" system on the return favourite, on the first race at Hackney, on a saturday morning only. Each bet, each week, was to be calculated at 7/4. If a winner was backed less than 7/4, the remainder not won and new CTW amount had to be carried over. If a winner was backed at 7/4 or bigger, happy days, draw winnings and start afresh with initial CTW following week.

I checked previous results, losing runs were short, winning favourites were seemingly above the norm...yep, you guessed it, first 5 weeks of running the system live, all lost. Because of the long break in between bets, the sixth week required £200 or so, on the return favourite, I bottled it and it lost. Dodged a bullet and learned an early lesson when I was 20 years old or so.
sniffer66

PapaShango wrote:
sniffer66 wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:18 pm
Every time I see these threads I start singing White Lines, by Grandmaster Flash, in my head.
…a magic betting system, there in black and white,
a multi-million dollars, almost overnight,
twice as much on this bet, twice as much on that,
and if you get hooked, baby, it’s nobody else’s fault, SO DONT DO IT… !
Nicely done :D
ShaunWhite

PapaShango wrote:
Screenshot_13.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Euler

I've grouped this with other similar threads in their own section. Hoping that gives people some perspective and reading material before heading down this route.
Derek27

Euler wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:59 pm
I've grouped this with other similar threads in their own section. Hoping that gives people some perspective and reading material before heading down this route.
:lol: :lol: I didn't realise you were being serious about the new section. Makes sense though. Potential users of the Martingale can spend their time searching for the thread that has the most positive feedback. :)
ShaunWhite

The best loss recovery strategy is to just say it doesn't matter, because it's only a work event.

Return to “Loss recovery systems and methods”