US Masters 2020

Bubace

All over now you'd think, one in the water from DJ on the 12th wouldve made it an intrestinbg finish
Bubace

Is there honestly a more awkward moment in sport, than the green jacket Ceremony?
Euler

Well done DJ!

My conclusion, a November Masters made the course play softer. So the players were able to be much more aggressive and score lower.
greenmark

Just tuned in to the BBC highlights and was a bit stunned to see Peter Aliss in such poor condition. Hope he's OK.
He was one that (not being a golfer) made watching golf a pleasure. Descriptive, lyrical, romantic, knowledgeable, erudite.
Bubace

greenmark wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:50 pm
Just tuned in to the BBC highlights and was a bit stunned to see Peter Aliss in such poor condition. Hope he's OK.
He was one that (not being a golfer) made watching golf a pleasure. Descriptive, lyrical, romantic, knowledgeable, erudite.
Yeah the voice of Golf for me, Ken Brown was great as well on the course
greenmark

Bubace wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:26 pm
greenmark wrote:
I've not played the game. But Augusta is just amazing. And honestly, listening to Aliss now is very poignant. What a wonderful broadcaster. I think Ken has a few left.
greenmark

Humble pie time (yet again).
Scrub what I said about Alliss. The guy is 89.
What a super human!
superfrank

Bubace wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:26 pm
Is there honestly a more awkward moment in sport, than the green jacket Ceremony?
It's truly cringeworthy.

And then DJ goes and blubs on live TV. What's up with men these days?!

Some good ones in here that give us all hope...
WORST shots of the 2020 Masters https://youtu.be/e-QP3rkg0RY
Morbius

Euler wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:04 pm
Well done DJ!

My conclusion, a November Masters made the course play softer. So the players were able to be much more aggressive and score lower.

Yeah I agree with that and think that's largely pretty spot on. No coincidence that DJ went -20 in the same year as a November Masters. I wasn't surprised by a high score either. Many of the greens are very difficult to hit and hold after many hours of hot sunshine although the trade off is shorter drives when the ground is softer and many players will be taking longer irons into Par 4s and getting fewer eagle/birdie chances on 5s but that didn't seem to happen. But I felt some of the pin positions were easier than usual especially the 16th and I don't recall seeing it on the top level before which takes the water out of play.
Morbius

greenmark wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:13 am
Bubace wrote:
greenmark wrote:
I've not played the game. But Augusta is just amazing. And honestly, listening to Aliss now is very poignant. What a wonderful broadcaster. I think Ken has a few left.

yeah I was shocked to hear Peter Alliss as well. Such a huge golfing knowledge and always made watching golf a pleasure. For me his all time favourite commentary was in the famous 1999 Open where Jean Van de Velde only needed a double bogey 6 on the last to take the jug and he took driver and hit the rough and then the burn. The ball was about a foot under water in a burn that was around 5ft deep and Van de Velde (for the benefit of people that didn't watch it) took his shoes and socks off and rolled his trouser legs up....Alliss just said "oh no no no no no....he is being very silly, somebody needs to have a word with him"

Very sad ending but great commentary
Morbius

greenmark wrote:
Bubace wrote:
greenmark wrote:

A few years ago, someone who I know came back from visiting family in Georgia and played there as a guest of a course member. I asked him if the greens really were as tough as they say on TV and he told me to go and get my putter out and a golf ball. He placed a beer mat 12ft away on my kitchen flooring and said now try rolling up......I couldn't get near :D
greenmark

Morbius wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:18 pm
greenmark wrote:
Bubace wrote:

A few years ago, someone who I know came back from visiting family in Georgia and played there as a guest of a course member. I asked him if the greens really were as tough as they say on TV and he told me to go and get my putter out and a golf ball. He placed a beer mat 12ft away on my kitchen flooring and said now try rolling up......I couldn't get near :D
Yes, don't if you saw Ken Brown's item about that. He got down on his hands and knees and blew a ball on an apparently fairly flat green and it just kept on going.
Morbius

greenmark wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:24 pm
Morbius wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:18 pm
greenmark wrote:

Yes, don't if you saw Ken Brown's item about that. He got down on his hands and knees and blew a ball on an apparently fairly flat green and it just kept on going.

Yes I remember Ken and his balls lol He also did one on a fairway to highlight the slope but couldn't recall the tournament, either the Open or Masters. Ken on the course was a nice feature. I have watched every masters since the early 80s and saw Big Jacks famous run in 86 as well as Mizes' chip in against Norman a year later. Faldo pegging back six shots against Norman though in 96 takes some beating and his 2 iron to the green from a hanging lie on the 13th still lives long in the memory, you can still watch that entire tournament on YT. 2 irons are so hard to hit and I don't even like using 3s and 4s and prefer hybrids or shorter woods. Faldo just fizzed his 2 iron to the centre of the green from a hanging lie on the par 5 13th under huge pressure and even Ken Venturi called it wrong and thought he was laying up :D
Crazyskier

greenmark wrote:
Indeed. He sadly passed away last night.

The former BBC commentator known as 'the voice of golf', has died at the age of 89. He won more than 20 tournaments during his career and played on eight Ryder Cup teams, sadly died on Saturday evening at his home in Surrey.

I will miss his commentary. As you say Greenmark, ''Descriptive, lyrical, romantic, knowledgeable, erudite.'' One of a kind who will be sadly missed by many.

CS
Emmson

Irreplaceable as the voice of golf. Apart from his vast knowledge and experience in all things golf he had a great soothing voice that suits golf commentary perfectly. RIP

Return to “Trading Golf”