Tiger Woods

Trader Pat

greenmark wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:37 pm
"most men sleep around if given the opportunity" I find that a bleak outlook.
Bleak yes but true
greenmark wrote:
None of my friends/relatives have gone down that route
How do you know? It's not something most men would boast about.
greenmark wrote:
But I have worked with/met people who have a reputation for seeking out liaisons despite being in a marriage with children.
And TBH I didn't like any of them.
You don't have to be seeking it out for it to happen though.

I'm 42, single and I've only had 2 serious relationships in my life and I didn't cheat in either of them. Love had nothing to do with that though it was respect. I suppose it depends a lot on what type of relationship you have. I'm no Dr Ruth but I suppose if its built on respect and love rather than just love then you're less likely to stray.

Having said all that I have been known to talk bollocks! :D
The Silk Run

I think your skills are transferable ;) Some GOOD content from you, and greenmark.
Derek27

The covid and US election thread has dropped off the front page. I bet Peter regrets starting this topic now. :lol:
greenmark wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:49 pm
TBH I think you should cut Tiger (and people like him) some slack. You aren't insulated from issues like infidelity or substance abuse., just because you're rich and famous. Infidelity-wise, come on! He's had women throwing themselves at him for decades. Yes, it is IMO reprehensible to cheat on your life partner. But its hardly unusual. Substance abuse? Well, yes that indicates a deeper problem. Knowing someone in the alcohol counselling arena informs me that the issue is far from simple. Generally, there are other factors other than just being a slob or having a lack of willpower. The addiction is just a symptom/outlet for other deep-seated emotional issues. And being rich/famous is no antidote to that.
That's a fair point. I've never been unfaithful but in the time I've spent with the few girlfriends that I've had, I never encountered the opportunity. :)
Trader Pat

Derek27 wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:31 pm
The covid and US election thread has dropped off the front page. I bet Peter regrets starting this topic now. :lol:
The forum at its best! :D
Trader Pat

The Silk Run wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:31 pm
I think your skills are transferable ;) Some GOOD content from you, and greenmark.
Honesty is always the best policy :)
Crazyskier

superfrank wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:49 pm
Morbius wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:40 am
It always gets me how this man and Jack Nicklaus can even be mentioned in the same sentence. The only time this should ever happen is for golf achievements but that's where it ends. My opinion of Tiger Woods wasn't affected by this incident, it was cemented long ago and once again it staggers me how anyone could ever defend this man.
In Jack Nicklaus' day people and society generally had higher standards.

In today's post-Christian western world anything goes and the results shouldn't come as a surprise.

It's unfair to judge Tiger by the moral standards of another era. I don't think anything he did is particularly shocking today.
What a load of bollocks! The West may have become multi-cultural in recent decades, for better or worse, but it is still working upon Christian laws, values and holidays, even if those actually attending church is in decline. The Queen remains the head of the Church of England.

Almost everyone I know is at least nominally Christian, or has at least some belief in a 'supreme being' and the vow of HOLY MATRIMONY is hardly 'of another era' is it?

Adultery is just as sinful today as it ever was. It's an absolute betrayal of one's spouse, and always will be. To even suggest otherwise is to indulge in self-deception of the worst kind.

How can you even begin to condone Tiger Wood's behaviour, on any level? To suggest that morality somehow belongs in 'another era' is frankly, absurd, and actually indicative of the selfish me, me, me mentality that is causing so much damage to wider Western society. God help us if you and others genuinely have that attitude, Superfrank. I'm both shocked and disappointed.

CS
Derek27

Crazyskier wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:18 pm
What a load of bollocks! The West may have become multi-cultural in recent decades, for better or worse, but it is still working upon Christian laws, values and holidays, even if those actually attending church is in decline.
Infidelity is not against the law so you can't say the west is working upon Christian laws.
Crazyskier wrote:
Almost everyone I know is at least nominally Christian, and the vow of HOLY MATRIMONY is hardly 'of another era' is it?
That's because you're Christian. Most people I know are nominally atheist.
Crazyskier wrote:
Infidelity is just as sinful today as it ever was.
I googled the word sin: an immoral act considered to be a transgression against divine law.

On that definition, it's only 'considered' to be wrong, and only against divine law, which nobody is obliged to obey. :)
Trader Pat

Crazyskier wrote:

How can you even begin to condone Tiger Wood's behaviour, on any level? To suggest that morality somehow belongs in 'another era' is frankly, absurd, and actually indicative of the selfish me, me, me mentality that is causing so much damage to wider Western society. God help us if you and others genuinely have that attitude, Superfrank. I'm both shocked and disappointed.

CS

I don't think anyone is condoning his behaviour but why is he being singled out? My own opinion is he's been down more than once and its always easier to kick a man when he's down. He's not the only elite sportsman who's cheated on his wife.

Morality doesn't belong in another era but immorality was much harder to detect before 24 hours news and social media.
superfrank

Crazyskier wrote:
What a load of bollocks! The West may have become multi-cultural in recent decades, for better or worse, but it is still working upon Christian laws, values and holidays, even if those actually attending church is in decline. The Queen remains the head of the Church of England.
How many children go to Sunday school these days or sing hymns in the school assembly? 1 in 10 at a push.

When he becomes King, the Prince of Wales is likely to become 'Defender of Faith' rather than 'Defender of The Faith' and the charlatan currently holding the office of Archbishop of Canterbury has admitted to doubts about the existence of God!

I'm a Christian, and I'm not condoning Tiger's behaviour, but society is very different to what it was 50 years ago and it's increasingly less Christian and less moral. Not good imho, but we are where we are.
greenmark

superfrank wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:27 pm
Crazyskier wrote:
How many children go to Sunday school these days or sing hymns in the school assembly? 1 in 10 at a push.

When he becomes King, the Prince of Wales is likely to become 'Defender of Faith' rather than 'Defender of The Faith' and the charlatan currently holding the office of Archbishop of Canterbury has admitted to doubts about the existence of God!

I'm a Christian, and I'm not condoning Tiger's behaviour, but society is very different to what it was 50 years ago and it's increasingly less Christian and less moral. Not good imho, but we are where we are.
What about people like me?. I see a lot of merit in religious teachings. They are remarkably similar. Tolerance, charity, selflessness.
But I'm agnostic.
I just think Tiger is human. Money and fame means nothing. Sure, he's rich therefore he should behave and/or get help if he can't. But emotions are really not that simple. To me the guy may be be in another turmoil. I don't understand how someone so excellent in one sphere of life can be so rubbish outside of that sphere.
Are we looking at the 2020's version of Elvis?
Crazyskier

Derek27 wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:38 pm
Crazyskier wrote:
What a load of bollocks! The West may have become multi-cultural in recent decades, for better or worse, but it is still working upon Christian laws, values and holidays, even if those actually attending church is in decline.
Infidelity is not against the law so you can't say the west is working upon Christian laws.
The Laws I referred to are the UK common laws that govern wider society. Thou shalt not kill, etc are from the 10 commandments, given to Moses on Mount Sinai.

As regards 'thou shalt not commit adultery' there are many countries in which this IS still actually illegal as well as sinful, just like sodomy / buggery. And rightly so, in my view.

CS
Derek27

Crazyskier wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:51 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:38 pm
Crazyskier wrote:
The Laws I referred to are the UK common laws that govern wider society. Thou shalt not kill, etc are from the 10 commandments, given to Moses on Mount Sinai.

As regards 'thou shalt not commit adultery' there are many countries in which this IS still actually illegal as well as sinful, just like sodomy / buggery. And rightly so, in my view.

CS
CS, I hereby publically and in the presence of all Bet Angel forum members instruct you not to kill, steal or commit adultery. Therefore you are now obeying my instructions and not your Christian teachings. :lol:

In all seriousness, do you really think it took someone clever to figure out that you shouldn't kill? :lol:
Trader Pat

Crazyskier wrote:

CS

Gay sex doesn't rock my boat and neither do Man Utd but I don't think either of them should be banned just because I'm not into them.

As for religion I'm going out on a limb here but I'm pretty sure its caused more ills in the world than gay people
sniffer66

Trader Pat wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:21 pm
Crazyskier wrote:

CS

Gay sex doesn't rock my boat and neither do Man Utd but I don't think either of them should be banned just because I'm not into them.

As for religion I'm going out on a limb here but I'm pretty sure its caused more ills in the world than gay people
People have caused the ill, often in the name of religion, often not. Sexuality is irrelevant - except to those who have an issue with what others do in the privacy of their own bedroom\dining table\play room\bathroom (*delete as appropriate)
Euler

Thought I'd check is something had happened to Tiger. Seems not! :lol:

Return to “Trading Golf”