3.05 Newbury Listed Feature - Going All In

The sport of kings.
Zenyatta

$100 to win right on the nose of 'Pink Symphony' (currently at 11s). Dare you!
rhysmr2

Hope you didn't go all in there Zenyatta.
andyfuller

I did - I took your word as gospel after such a comprehensive write up as to its chances and have done my bank.

:evil:
rhysmr2

:lol:
andyfuller

Zenyatta wrote:$100 to win right on the nose...Dare you!
On a serious note though it is clear people follow the selections given by others on this forum so perhaps daring people to put £100 on the nose of a horse with no explanation as to why isn't the most sensible of things to do as I am sure some people will have backed this horse on the back of the opening post.

Perhaps some explanation along the lines of Jolly Green in the future would be more wise than daring people?
Zenyatta

Sometimes the big plunges do come off - Think Peter Webb on 'Don't Push It' (Grand National) or Jolly Green on 'Imperial Commander' (Gold Cup), or the $1.10 lays you could have won on both 'Zaynar' and 'Denman' this year.

It was objectivity a good bet due to the fact that it was a highly rated horse at a high price, and in fact it steamed all the way into $2.28 In-Play and was challenging to win, the bet was not a bad idea. Unfortunately I did go all-in to try to chase previous losses, but it didn't come off on this occasion, so I did my bank and will have to lay off punting for while.

I will be back sometime this year for a '$1000 plunge'. I'm serious. I want to do something that not even Webb and Heathcote have done. I intend to place a $1000 gamble on a horse to win, sometime this year. The price range I'm looking for will be between $5-$15 for the win and I will explain the reasoning for my selection when I make the bet. Watch for my announcement on the forum.
lilgreenback

Hiya Zen,

You are right sometimes these gambles that are laid out do come in but a 1000 quid on an bigish outsider??

Is this to build momentum on a selection to lay off; if you are successful trading why would you want to gamble and lose (or win) ?

Good luck with it though if you have got it then why not flaunt it; fortune favours the brave so they say.

LilGB
Zenyatta

lilgreenback wrote:Hiya Zen,

You are right sometimes these gambles that are laid out do come in but a 1000 quid on an bigish outsider??LilGB
Definitely not something you want to do every day, it will need to be set up very carefully. I guess I just want to prove to myself I have the balls to do it. ;)

I will of course check to see what the market is doing in the last 30 minutes before the off or so, and not place the bet if it's drifting badly. Will also seek other opinions, hopefully Jolly Green will give his opinion etc. But I am going to do it at some point.
mulberryhawk

If you have no understanding of form and how to interpret then this is a truly mad proposal. Having a £1000 bet on the outcome of a horse race has nothing to do with having "balls" its to do with value.

The reason the big gamblers like Barney curley and pat veitch gamble in large quantities is purely because they believe that they are getting over the odds on a selection. Therefore whether their gamble comes off or not they know they will have made the correct decision because it was price based not based on proving they have "balls".

If you are going to attempt this big bet then I would suggest you do some research first. Stick to one of the bigger conditions races such as at ascot next week. Look at the timeform race preview on the betfair site, have a look at the racing posts and atr`s take on the runners and then if you feel like it look at the horses latest performances.

I have to say that you say "sometimes these big gambles do come off" but sometimes they come unstuck as well. So beware
Online Trader

It is nothing short of a MUG punt as far as I can see, no research, no knowledge = Poor House :roll:
I want to do something that not even Webb and Heathcote have done.
Well you won't be doing it with punts like this, they are traders not gamblers ;)
rascal01

mulberryhawk wrote:If you have no understanding of form and how to interpret then this is a truly mad proposal. Having a £1000 bet on the outcome of a horse race has nothing to do with having "balls" its to do with value.

The reason the big gamblers like Barney curley and pat veitch gamble in large quantities is purely because they believe that they are getting over the odds on a selection. Therefore whether their gamble comes off or not they know they will have made the correct decision because it was price based not based on proving they have "balls".

If you are going to attempt this big bet then I would suggest you do some research first. Stick to one of the bigger conditions races such as at ascot next week. Look at the timeform race preview on the betfair site, have a look at the racing posts and atr`s take on the runners and then if you feel like it look at the horses latest performances.

I have to say that you say "sometimes these big gambles do come off" but sometimes they come unstuck as well. So beware
and theres other punters who back the odds on, sometimes regardless of the value, Harry Findlay comes to mind
mulberryhawk

Sometimes odds on can be value too, I think Harry Findlay has enough knowledge of percentages and implied probability to know what represents good value. I doubt he would have survived this long as a professional gambler just backing odds on shots blind.

Return to “Trading Horse racing”