Axe falls on fixtures in response to falling levy

The sport of kings.
hgodden

Can someone who is a paid up member of the racing post please give us the gist of what this story is about? thanks :)

http://www.racingpost.com/news/horse-ra ... gbusiness/
andyfuller

Can't read the article but it looks like about 250 meetings are going to be cut next year due to the fall in Levy - which would equate to around 1,500 races so by anyone's standards that is a big drop in potential income for us horse racing traders - it is a trend I think which will continue as the Levy continues to fall.
Bet Angel
Bet Angel
Bet Angel

A bit concerning for all involved in racing. It would certainly change the complexion of racing and trading it for sure.
jimrobo

not good news for us pro traders
hgodden

Personally I hope they take away some of the evening cards and pretty much leave the winter alone
hgodden

Bet Angel wrote:A bit concerning for all involved in racing. It would certainly change the complexion of racing and trading it for sure.
What do you think about the possibility of the levy being based on turnover Peter, surely they wouldn't actually go down that route again?
andyfuller

With around 1,500 races lost at only £5 a race that is going to knock £7,500 of the yearly income and at only £10 a race that is £15,000 so this is likely to have a big impact before you even consider the knock on effects such as 2 meeting afternoons which have significantly poorer trading conditions than 3 meeting afternoons.

I can't see it being the evening fixtures that get cut tbh.

Also it could be opening a downwards spiral, 1,500 less races means less Levy unless people bet more on what is left which I doubt will happen which could in turn lead to fewer meetings the following year. There are calls for less meetings in racing so I think this could be the first of more fixture list cuts.

Like the other Levy thread - I am surprised by the lack of people commenting on this, perhaps there are less full timers out there than I thought or they don't understand the implications fully :?: Or just aren't bothered :o
Last edited by andyfuller on Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SpikeyBob

Taxi for Horse Racing!

... anyone for Tennis? :)
rhysmr2

Well that's a nightmare,

I will definitely have to learn how to trade some other sports, 100% of my profits/wage is from uk horse racing :(
pt9091

to top it all tonight mr manipulator is out in force epsm 18.20 playing with casution now as just lost a fortune becaiuse of it/him chasing the price down on rowan tiger :shock:
pt9091

If I had a big enough bank and money to burn id oppose everything this person/thing does with bigger amounts than he/it just for fun, relatively new at trading and making 20-30-40 a day and reading news like the axe falling on meetings and dealing with this puts a shadow over my 3 year learning curve on the horse racing win markets, did not want to even think about other sports until i was at a serious level on the horse markets first, did not want to be a jack of all traders master of none so to speak, but looks like i will have to widen my portfolio sooner than later! :(
rhysmr2

pt9091 wrote:to top it all tonight mr manipulator is out in force epsm 18.20 playing with casution now as just lost a fortune becaiuse of it/him chasing the price down on rowan tiger :shock:

That's the big backer, he is not manipulating, he wants a big back bet matching so if you went against him with your big bank :shock:

I was £140 in the red after hedging but I pulled most of it back when it drifted back up to 3, £20 in the red now,

I can't believe there running late on there first race!
pt9091

ah, i was wondering why there was no retraction, thats what i kpet waiting for, should have known when big ammounts kept getting dragged down, think it want from about 3.75 to 2.75, i was near the top of that with a lay order waiting for a retraction, big lesson learned! :oops:

Return to “Trading Horse racing”