Trading Greyhound racing

We've gone to the dogs.
Euler

BetScalper wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:23 pm
You can just wait until 5k has been matched in the market, trade and get out before 40 seconds to go. The off times are scheduled start times but not set in stone. They can also be delayed if a dog gets pulled and a reserve one is used. Some tracks are worse than others. The big races at established tracks tend to go off on time. But not always. I don't know why but on-course bookies can influence the actual start times. Always thought greyhound racing was seriously bent. All the hassle (travel, vet bills, food, training) and very often the winner gets £50, given some races have 25k matched then why would you bother unless you knew full well your dog had no chance and betting against it on the side.
I've tweaked by bot to look for races that start early. I'll report back when I get some data. Currently, it wouldn't pick up on it as it only looks at timings after post time.
Dallas

Euler wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:36 pm
BetScalper wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:23 pm
You can just wait until 5k has been matched in the market, trade and get out before 40 seconds to go. The off times are scheduled start times but not set in stone. They can also be delayed if a dog gets pulled and a reserve one is used. Some tracks are worse than others. The big races at established tracks tend to go off on time. But not always. I don't know why but on-course bookies can influence the actual start times. Always thought greyhound racing was seriously bent. All the hassle (travel, vet bills, food, training) and very often the winner gets £50, given some races have 25k matched then why would you bother unless you knew full well your dog had no chance and betting against it on the side.
I've tweaked by bot to look for races that start early. I'll report back when I get some data. Currently, it wouldn't pick up on it as it only looks at timings after post time.
On the data i've been capturing during the last few months i've only ever noticed a max 2-3 races per day that don't get to to post time (ie they went off early) and don't recall seeing any that have gone off more than 30secs early. Though i wasn't specifically looking for early starts so will be interested in seeing what Euler bot picks up
MemphisFlash

Just putting the final touches to my Dog Trading and automation Excel sheet that covers 150 markets in one go.
Looking good so far
chart.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MemphisFlash

chart.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BetScalper

MemphisFlash wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:01 am
chart.JPG
What's the point in posting these please ?

Do they explain anything ?

Haven't your previous posts on Greyhounds shown you to be some kind of system's seller or something ?

Can you show any REAL trading results or is it all smoke/mirrors and faked Betfair statements ?

Seems rather odd that your still around ?

From what I have read, cracking Greyhound markets is probably the hardest thing to accomplish. If you or anyone else has then I don't see why anyone would post such information. You would, in theory have the knowledge to untold riches and I am sure the Sports Trading companies would be very interested if you didn't have the funds to build your own rainbow etc ?
Naffman

+1 that shows nothing mate, looks a nice screen but achieves nothing
deansaccount

Agree those screen shots show nothing.

I'm very sceptical about anyone having a long term profitable trading bot, not because I have not created one (although I have tried), but the markets are so thin and spikes can really shift the market. Of course you can try to use the back spikes when LTP is below the lay price, but do you assume the price will carry on shortening (happens sometimes) or return to it's previous odds / drift (happens sometimes)?

Also do you look to scalp a tick or two? That's all very well for a few markets, then the following market the price gets shifted against you 6 ticks and either hits your stop loss or you are left looking at a red and considering where the price will go next.

I'm sure people are trying to make market after a spike, but i'm sceptical that's a long term profitable approach either.

I would however be very happy for someone to prove me wrong.
Euler

After Memphis posted on greyhounds some time ago, I got into some dialogue with him and started my own greyhound bot and have been refining it since then. I last looked at them in 2010, but Bet Angel has moved on massively since then. My bot is profitable most days and has been very profitable since inception.

The lesson, never focus on the negative because you will always find it. Just stay focused on your objective and keep moving roughly in the right direction.
deansaccount

Euler wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:49 pm
After Memphis posted on greyhounds some time ago, I got into some dialogue with him and started my own greyhound bot and have been refining it since then. I last looked at them in 2010, but Bet Angel has moved on massively since then. My bot is profitable most days and has been very profitable since inception.

The lesson, never focus on the negative because you will always find it. Just stay focused on your objective and keep moving roughly in the right direction.
What percentage of races does your bot trade in day and evening?

How much does the bot average on the races it trades?
Euler

I originally traded them all and was profitable, but it was with a very wide deviation. Lots of occasion bit profits and losses. It was very profitable but I didn't seem to frame the risk well.

So I've evolved to stop it from trading anything that doesn't have decent forecast volume as that was where the big profits and losses were coming from.

In the last seven days it's traded 307 races, which is too low really. So I'm looking to raise that through finding the right balance between risk and reward. It's very efficient now, but probably too efficient. Only picking off the best opportunities.
MemphisFlash

Naffman wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:00 am
+1 that shows nothing mate, looks a nice screen but achieves nothing
your right it shows nothing if you don't know what your looking at!!!.
let's break it down a little for you.....
lets look at race 2.

there are 2 dogs that have traded under £1000 pound, one where only 102 quid has been matched but then there is a massive £16,000 on dog 5. it would be easy to lay dog 5 in this instance as you know the money is there for a couple of ticks movement,

Race 3...

there are four dogs that are trading within a £4000 pound range.... does this look like a dutching opportunity for dogs 3 and 5. No clear favourite there?.

But your right, it tells you nothing.
chart.JPG
BetScalper

Race 2 Dog 5 - Why is that a lay, if anything wouldn't it shorten more before the start ?
deansaccount

Euler wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:54 pm
I originally traded them all and was profitable, but it was with a very wide deviation. Lots of occasion bit profits and losses. It was very profitable but I didn't seem to frame the risk well.

So I've evolved to stop it from trading anything that doesn't have decent forecast volume as that was where the big profits and losses were coming from.

In the last seven days it's traded 307 races, which is too low really. So I'm looking to raise that through finding the right balance between risk and reward. It's very efficient now, but probably too efficient. Only picking off the best opportunities.
Interesting, so does the bot have a fixed tick offset or is it capable of catching a big drift? I'm testing a trailing stop, but it gets taken out too often at present
Euler

It's really simple, it's just gap filling at the moment.
LeTiss

Euler wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:38 pm
It's really simple, it's just gap filling at the moment.
Gap filling, ah yes, that takes me back to 2003-2006. Making money seemed so easy back then

Return to “Trading Greyhound racing”