Racecaller who disappeared

A place to discuss anything.
Galilee66

I don't wish to appear macabre, but whatever was the outcome of that police investigation into the racecaller who disappeared from his flat one day when he was due to call the races?

cheers
Galilee6
JollyGreen

Sadly he was found dead!
Galilee66

Thanks for that info - sorry to hear of the eventual outcome - was there any suspicion of foul play?

cheers
Galilee66
LeTiss

No, I think it was treated as suicide

It appears people thought he was happy & had a great life, which makes it all the more shocking

I became interested in stuff like this a few years back when a friend of mine took his own life.

The figures are quite shocking - on average 15 people commit suicide in the UK every single day!
75% of these are men. I suppose this backs up the belief that blokes feel weak or embarrassed when admitting to, or sharing problems
CaerMyrddin

Well, that is shocking! Protestantism, the weather and the language are seen as key factors and I guess they all are negative in the UK?

Catholicism considers suicide as a 'capital sin' and those who commit suicide won't go to heaven. I guess that there is no need to talk about the weather, but the language is harder to explain, but it looks like latin languages with their sophisticated structure and irregularities make people less prone to suicide.

I can't really tell how I feel for those who commit suicide, I can't really pitty them, it takes some dignity in most cases to do so, but I can't really sympathise them either.
Galilee66

That's sad to learn of that - suicide always seems so out of character for anyone who is involved in racing/punting/trading as they all appear to require an essentially optimistic outlook.

Galilee66
oddstrader

CaerMyrddin wrote:Well, that is shocking! Protestantism, the weather and the language are seen as key factors and I guess they all are negative in the UK?

Catholicism considers suicide as a 'capital sin' and those who commit suicide won't go to heaven. I guess that there is no need to talk about the weather, but the language is harder to explain, but it looks like latin languages with their sophisticated structure and irregularities make people less prone to suicide.

I can't really tell how I feel for those who commit suicide, I can't really pitty them, it takes some dignity in most cases to do so, but I can't really sympathise them either.
I think you have to sympathise with them it must be a horrendous state of mind to be in to feel that the only option is to die and for your family and friends to be better off without you! rather than stay and find solutions to their problems, its so sad when life gets so complicated that the only option is suicide. I really feel for people in this position and i know it is selfish, but we should have a red button to press for people who feel so low, there must be a solution to help them.
CaerMyrddin

That's a view I agree with and I understand people have different sensibilities. I can't honestly guess how someone in this state of mind feels, I think that's because of my own mental structure.

Maybe you took my words in the wrong sense. I'm sorry, my language isn't english. What I meant is that it takes courage and it's almost like a noble act to commit suicide in most cases. That's why I don't pitty suicidals. Sometimes it's the only dignifying way out.

Different people under the same circunstances take different paths. I had to endure during my life and always fought adversity hardly. I can't really praise that, I think that I was born/educated like that and I understand that others aren't like me. (altough some are!)

Tha's why I can't really sympathise them either. A middle term view, I guess?

Well, I think the suicide thread has gone long enough, hopefully less depressive subjects will be discussed?
oddstrader

absolutey onwards and upwards !

Return to “General discussion”