Do you Know How to Use Signals in Automation?

Advanced automation available in Guardian - Chat with others and share files here.

Do you Understand how to use Signals in Automation

I Fully Understand How to Use Them
6%
I Have a Basic Understanding of How to Use Them
45%
I have No Idea How to Use Them
48%

Total votes: 95
Dallas

I thought I'd run a poll for automation users to see how many Bet Angel users fully understand how to use 'Signals' within automation, before submitting a vote there are already two threads which I have created on using signals I would suggest reading these first if you have not yet seen them.

viewtopic.php?f=37&t=11941
viewtopic.php?f=43&t=11943

Also, there is the following section of the Bet Angel user guide
https://www.betangel.com/user-guide/sig ... g1&mw=MzIw#

It would also be handy if people who are still struggling despite reading through the links above could give a brief description of what part they're struggling with, that will enable me (if needed) to create some further examples

I've therefore set the poll so that users can 'change' their vote so it would be helpful if after some additional examples users could update their vote if they now have a better understanding

EDIT
Following the feedback and results from the poll, I have started to put together a 'Signals made Simple' thread which you can find here
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=17725
Dallas

If anyone wants to add any comments on what/were they are struggling with I'll try and put some deeper examples together over the coming weeks
Oscar

Hi Dallas,
The recent survey shows a fair percentage of subscribers are having difficulty using signals, me included.
The idea of using signals is simple enough, it's just the application of them within the rules of a file that's not so obvious.

Eg, How and where to attach the emitting signal.
When it stands alone as a separate rule.
How it's attached to the recipient bet.

These questions (and answers) will seem obvious to people who have "evolved" with automation. Another couple of applications will be easy to absorb. But a "nuboid" needs to peel back all the layers to reveal and understand the basic foundations. Some people have the ability to bypass this process :twisted:

What would be really helpful would be an example of a simple automated trade using just two selections, showing the initial bet and it's rules emitting the signal, and the process it goes through to influence it's recipient bet. Initially using one market. Then another example using two markets of the same event.

It's not a hunt for ideas or strategies, just a way to apply them using signals. The potential is there.

Dallas, you must be either rolling around laughing at all these nuboid questions, or on tranquillizers. :lol: :o
You seemingly, calmly and consistantly offer advise in such an empathetic manner :D

Have a profitable day at the races!
megarain

Here is an example of where i think signals needs to be used, but, I just cant put together the pieces.

I have these stored values :

10 min VWAP - called 10minVWAP
10min LTP = called 10minLTP .. which is 10minVWAP/10minLTP

5 min VWAP - called 5minVWAP
5min LTP - called 5minLTP

3min - called threeLTP

1m - called oneLTP

45 secs - called 45LTP

30 secs - called 30LTP etc.

These all display nicely on the layout.

So, now the fun starts.

I sorta expect, that to write an automation, that checks if every cell, is lower than previously, I should use signals, and somehow increment a counter if its right, and then maybe place a bet.

At that point, my brain freezes, and I look for something else to do.

So, the signal should start with 10minVWAP, set the signal to maybe 1.

If 5minVWAP is lower than 10minVWAP, set counter to 2.

If 3minVWAP is lower than 5minVWAP, set counter to 3.

if 1minVWAP is lower than 3minVWAP, set counter to 4.

etc

If final count = 8, or whatever, place a bet.

Thx
record vwap pre race v 7 - signals would be nice.baf
vwap v 7 layout.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jimibt

Showcase and Sally's Realm were your targets there :D

Will try and post a more detailed explanation as to why at some point next week. but from your description, i'd say you need to have a set of stored values that records the upper and lower range of the *move*. from that, you can then determine whether your action point is closer to the top vwap or lower vwap value and then take the required action.

clear as mud - right?? :D
mcgoo

megarain wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:21 am
Here is an example of where i think signals needs to be used, but, I just cant put together the pieces.

I have these stored values :

10 min VWAP - called 10minVWAP
10min LTP = called 10minLTP .. which is 10minVWAP/10minLTP

5 min VWAP - called 5minVWAP
5min LTP - called 5minLTP

3min - called threeLTP

1m - called oneLTP

45 secs - called 45LTP

30 secs - called 30LTP etc.

These all display nicely on the layout.

So, now the fun starts.

I sorta expect, that to write an automation, that checks if every cell, is lower than previously, I should use signals, and somehow increment a counter if its right, and then maybe place a bet.

At that point, my brain freezes, and I look for something else to do.

So, the signal should start with 10minVWAP, set the signal to maybe 1.

If 5minVWAP is lower than 10minVWAP, set counter to 2.

If 3minVWAP is lower than 5minVWAP, set counter to 3.

if 1minVWAP is lower than 3minVWAP, set counter to 4.

etc

If final count = 8, or whatever, place a bet.

Thx

record vwap pre race v 7 - signals would be nice.baf

vwap v 7 layout.jpg
Don't forget to decrease the count if the conditions are not true :)..but you probably knew that :geek:
Dallas

Thanks to those that have voted already (and PM'ed me), I'm going to try and put together some basic examples this week which should explain them further
If anyone else wants to add anything further before I do so, please post a reply to the end of this thread

Megarain - Your on the right track with the 'Increment values' but I've just downloaded your file now and will pop it into BA later tonight or in the morning and post an answer to what your looking for
ShaunWhite

Let me try and help.....
A signal is just a pidgeon hole you can put numbers in to use later. The name of the signal is the label written on the pidgeon hole that tells you which one to use.

Eg. Put the sp in a box called 'ThisIsTheSP '. Later. You can look in the box called' ThisIsTheSP' and see what it was. The name on the label can be anything you like, the value that goes in the pidgeon hole can only be one of the things BA lets you choose from.

I think most people would understand how to use signals if they could conceptualise it. My brain likes visualisations so the pidgeon hole analogy works for me.
ShaunWhite

If people eventually move into programming they will find that 'signals' are more usually known as variables. You create and name them, and then store things in them, like a numbers, times or the names of horses.
jimibt

ShaunWhite wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:14 pm
If people eventually move into programming they will find that 'signals' are more usually known as variables. You create and name them, and then store things in them, like a numbers, times or the names of horses.
now, you've just mentioned an interesting shared value (as opposed to signal) that isn't yet present - name of runner. this would be very useful when contended runners are bobbing about and you want to keep a tight reign (no pun intended) on which runner is the current fave (out of a number previously being followed/measured). why would you want to do this?? in order to compare (name for name) the values of signals as the positional element (of runners) in the race changes.

obviously you can kind of do this via nominated selection -but!

i know the intention by Dallas was to flag up knowledge of signals/shared values but this little gem is conspicuous in its absence.
Gauss

Absolutely clueless with signals, I haven’t a clue if I’m able to name or label something that isn’t listed as an option such as IP%, Projected SP (or whatever) in Guardian, I think the problem lies with some of these automation rules is that it’s assumed that most of us on here understands coding & that the examples given are based on that.
Dallas

Gauss wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:20 pm
Absolutely clueless with signals, I haven’t a clue if I’m able to name or label something that isn’t listed as an option such as IP%, Projected SP (or whatever) in Guardian, I think the problem lies with some of these automation rules is that it’s assumed that most of us on here understands coding & that the examples given are based on that.
I have started to put together a thread that breaks down how to use them (link at bottom of OP) and will include the answer to your question above in the first post of the new thread
Gauss

Think a video explaining mapping out signal automation step by step with it then in action on a market would be useful.
sentinel

Hi Dallas
I want to prevent any more bets being placed after "Green All Selections" has triggered.
Is it possible to set a signal to do this or is there another way?
Best regards.
Dallas

sentinel wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:33 pm
Hi Dallas
I want to prevent any more bets being placed after "Green All Selections" has triggered.
Is it possible to set a signal to do this or is there another way?
Best regards.
On your 'Green Up' rule go onto the Signal tab and set a signal on the market (give it any name and value)

Then on your back & lay bet rules add a 'Signal Set condition' to test the signal on the market named (whatever you called it) is NOT set with a value
ie, it/they will be able to trigger while there is no signal set, but once the green up rule triggers and sets a signal they will no longer be able to

Return to “Bet Angel - Automation”