BITCOIN as an alternative to regular currency

PDC

Euler wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:42 pm
I always sell into strength. The future is inheritably uncertain so why not sell when everybody wants to buy. ;)
Glad to hear you took your chips off the table.

The problem with that is timing it though and figuring out when in the strength is the time to sell as you can risk leaving a lot of chips behind.

Take Amazon for example, 2008 it was around $80 a share, 2 years later it had doubled in value to $160. Great everyone is buying and it is really strong, the contrarian is selling into the strength and you pat yourself on the back for a double bagger. But hold on, the price keeps going up, contrarian says not to buy into the strength, maybe even short it, but it keeps going up, still the contrarian says no, and it keeps going up and keeps going up and hits a high of around $2,000!

Yes you got the 2 bagger and doubled your money but by being a contrarian and selling out into the strength you miss out on a 25 bagger.

Have you been selling out of your Berkshire Hathaway, selling into the strength?
Euler

I account managed amazon when they were about to go bust and one of the guys sold his 250,000 shares. That's bad timing.

True investment isn't about timing to be honest, it's about placing a price on a company, seeing a yield and adding or trimming positions based on that. My play on Nvidia was all about bitcoin so hadn't really expected to be holding it forever.
PDC

Euler wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:54 am
I account managed amazon when they were about to go bust and one of the guys sold his 250,000 shares. That's bad timing.

True investment isn't about timing to be honest, it's about placing a price on a company, seeing a yield and adding or trimming positions based on that. My play on Nvidia was all about bitcoin so hadn't really expected to be holding it forever.
Now that is what you call bad timing! He must be sick to his stomach everyday, wouldn't fancy being the delivery driver knocking to see if he can take in his neighbours Amazon parcels :lol:

I don't see much point in selling out like he did, I very rarely sell anything, as companies go down they become so irrelevant to the overall portfolio it just isn't worth it and better to hold on for an Amazon or a Netflix type situation.

You don't need many of them in your life time to make up for all of the losers.

I will assume by not answering the Berkshire question you aren't quite the contrarian you say you are ;) I wouldn't sell either.

Bitcoin is taking another hammering today, nearly saw the $4,000 level go earlier though rebounding a bit now.
Euler

Because Berkshire doesn't pay a dividend you are effectively handing your return over to the management to invest. I'm happy for that to continue.
PDC

Euler wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:17 am
Because Berkshire doesn't pay a dividend you are effectively handing your return over to the management to invest. I'm happy for that to continue.
Yes as am I, I like the ~$15 billion growth in banking positions they took in the last quarter. Also with the current sell offs I am sure they are adding to that Apple position.

Sorry for taking the thread off topic but do you invest in residential property much? For me the government has and is making it so much harder I am thinking about exiting entirely.
CallumPerry

Interested to know trader's thoughts on Ripple, known as xrp. Had a little look but still have quite basic knowledge, a child's (who I tutor once a week) father has recently put a few hundred down with some guys at work for an investment.

Any worth short/mid/long term in your opinion?
Dallas

PDC wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:29 am

Sorry for taking the thread off topic but do you invest in residential property much? For me the government has and is making it so much harder I am thinking about exiting entirely.
Might be worth starting a new thread for this, if its the new tax relief being phased in your referring to I think it's going to hit a few ppl hard and I'm already considering what options are best
Euler

I wonder who bought in at the top of these cryptocurrencies?

While Bitcoin has plummeted to roughly $4k, Ethereum is off nearly 92% from its peak.
ec0n0mist

There is of course the plain retail FOMO but incidentally there were also a few hedge funds that stacked up heavily OTC at hefty premiums from $8k all the way to the top. Grayscale comes to mind for example, allegedly paid 100% premium, 40k when bitcoin hit ATH ($19,891). I know, madness right? Lol! I think they were most likely anticipating a third wave up and wanted to front-run it. As the saying goes; liquidity is an illusion. It's always there when you don't need it but rarely there when you do. I believe the opposite true also.

I wonder how these funds are going to treat their positions going forward. I.e. will they treat BTC like any other risk asset and liquidate it first as we continue to see equities correct globally and book a 90% loss (possibly more if the $4k double bottom doesn't hold), or do they simply HODL along with the trapped retail bulls?
Last edited by ec0n0mist on Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ec0n0mist

CallumPerry wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:28 pm
Interested to know trader's thoughts on Ripple, known as xrp. Had a little look but still have quite basic knowledge, a child's (who I tutor once a week) father has recently put a few hundred down with some guys at work for an investment.

As a trader I like XRP. TA works quite well on it (even on smaller time frames i.e.3-30 mins), as do most large caps. From a consumer's POV, I'm philosophically against everything Ripple stands for. It still boggles the mind as to why their community is growing as fast as it is. BTW, Ripple is the technology company, XRP is the token (cryptocurrency). They are not the same thing in spite of what most will have you believe. Secondly, Ripple's success does not depend on XRP's survival. Even if it did, why would XRP's price need to go up for it to work? It doesn't. XRP is a shit-coin through and through. [That's not to say money can't be made. However, 'Investment' or 'HODL' approach is not a strategy I'd recommend when it comes to XRP].

It's been rumoured for some time now, that banks are planning to turn Ripple into a segmented global network, essentially substituting SWIFT to an extent. This hasn't happened yet. In fact, a number of banks have outright declined such claims.
LinusP

ec0n0mist wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:42 pm
CallumPerry wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:28 pm

As a trader I like XRP. TA works quite well on it (even on smaller time frames i.e.3-30 mins), as do most large caps. From a consumer's POV, I'm philosophically against everything Ripple stands for. It still boggles the mind as to why their community is growing as fast as it is. BTW, Ripple is the technology company, XRP is the token (cryptocurrency). They are not the same thing in spite of what most will have you believe. Secondly, Ripple's success does not depend on XRP's survival. Even if it did, why would XRP's price need to go up for it to work? It doesn't. XRP is a shit-coin through and through. [That's not to say money can't be made. However, 'Investment' or 'HODL' approach is not a strategy I'd recommend when it comes to XRP].

It's been rumoured for some time now, that banks are planning to turn Ripple into a segmented global network, essentially substituting SWIFT to an extent. This hasn't happened yet. In fact, a number of banks have outright declined such claims.
The issue is that swift is very much embedded into everything the banks do, even updating to MX message formats has been met with resistance to the point that the underlying data structure (xml) is now out of date and it hasn’t even been rolled out yet!

I just don’t see how ripple can do it to be honest.
PDC

Euler wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:14 pm
I wonder who bought in at the top of these cryptocurrencies?
$4,000 didn't take long to breach. There was a bit of a feature on Saturday's BBC Money Box on Bit Coin and the guest still sees it hitting $500,000 in the next few years :shock: Good luck with that!

Money Box along with a lot of media heavily covered Bit Coin in the lead up to the pop, I would suspect a lot of older, 50's+ were buying in, this was the impression I got from listening to shows such as Money Box this time last year as it was being talked about as an 'investment'. I know a few people at my gym started to talk to me about how they were 'investing' in it this time last year and how they were going to make a killing, I suggested at the time they didn't and any money they were putting in they could afford to lose. I know one guy who actually gave up his well paid job to trade bitcoin. He doesn't come to the gym anymore ;)

This was a good tweet I saw last week:

Morgan Housel
@morganhousel
Thanksgiving 2016: tell everyone about tech stocks.

2017: tell everyone about crypto.

2018: tell everyone about tax loss harvesting.

:lol:
Naffman

If Bitcoin gets to $500 then I think it's worth thinking about, up until then though it'll be good to watch it plummet with all the others.
Zenyatta

I don't think we've hit bottom yet. I predicted the bust and guessed a bottom of between $1 000-$2 000 for Bitcoin way back when in this thread. It remained stable for longer than I thought though, holding at $6K for quite a while before plunging again. Let's see... 8-)

Return to “Cryptocurrency”