Guardian Automation, referencing external data

Advanced automation available in Guardian - Chat with others and share files here.
sniffer66

I've built quite a few automation files now and am currently focusing on tennis. I'm at the stage where I could really use external in-game stats to drive bet conditions in the automation and am thinking about pulling live data using JSON, API,screen scraping etc

However, as far as I am aware, there is no way I can reference that data from within Guardian automation i.e as a Stored Value linked to a cell in Excel. Is that correct ? If I were able to get the stat data into Excel, either pre match or live could I utilise it ? Or is my only option to switch to a purely Excel driven setup, ignoring Guardian automation altogether ?
Last edited by sniffer66 on Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
CallumPerry

Pretty sure it's not possible via automation so Excel would be the best way to go moving forward. Been interested in learning how to screen scrape for a while now too. Think it's still a bit out of my ability range though.
sniffer66

CallumPerry wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:57 am
Pretty sure it's not possible via automation so Excel would be the best way to go moving forward. Been interested in learning how to screen scrape for a while now too. Think it's still a bit out of my ability range though.
Thanks Callum. I did assume that was the case, but thought I'd ask

I was thinking that if we could use a linked workbook to assign an SV, for example, it could give us the best of both worlds.
CallumPerry

I think I saw a suggestion before on a different thread which pretty much asked for that in a future update, not sure how viable that would be to implement however as it is beyond the scope of my knowledge. I pretty much only use Excel so linking to external sources is something I will explore at some point in the future, plenty of reading to be had before that stage though.
sniffer66

CallumPerry wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:05 pm
I think I saw a suggestion before on a different thread which pretty much asked for that in a future update, not sure how viable that would be to implement however as it is beyond the scope of my knowledge. I pretty much only use Excel so linking to external sources is something I will explore at some point in the future, plenty of reading to be had before that stage though.

I'll see if I can find it and add my weight behind it. Even dropping pre -game stats manually into a worksheet and being able to reference them would be useful serve hold %'s etc
StefanBelo

I did something similar, but would like to see how you solve this your way.
sniffer66

StefanBelo wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:26 pm
Ah, are you saying its actually possible in the current version, combining both Excel and Guardian automation ? If so I'll see if I can work it out.
jimibt

sniffer66 wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:28 pm
StefanBelo wrote:
Ah, are you saying its actually possible in the current version, combining both Excel and Guardian automation ? If so I'll see if I can work it out.
yeah - i do a similar thing using a webservice call via the Excel worksheet (when the workbook is changed to a new market, the webservice is called and a vba class/collection is populated. thereafter, any candidate bets are pushed thro the class structure to validate if they are good to go).

the nice thing about this type of approach is that you can encapsulate all the required logic in your vba collection class and therefore leave your code open to change, should the webservice need to be overhauled etc... (in truth, i use the vba class as a COM wrapper around a set of c# classes -but the concept is the same, other than this little technical hurdle.)
sniffer66

jimibt wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:34 pm
sniffer66 wrote:
StefanBelo wrote:
yeah - i do a similar thing using a webservice call via the Excel worksheet (when the workbook is changed to a new market, the webservice is called and a vba class/collection is populated. thereafter, any candidate bets are pushed thro the class structure to validate if they are good to go).

the nice thing about this type of approach is that you can encapsulate all the required logic in your vba collection class and therefore leave your code open to change, should the webservice need to be overhauled etc... (in truth, i use the vba class as a COM wrapper around a set of c# classes -but the concept is the same, other than this little technical hurdle.)
But isnt that dependent on all of your automation using purely Excel ? Or did I not understand that correctly ?
jimibt

sniffer66 wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:38 pm
jimibt wrote:
sniffer66 wrote:

But isnt that dependent on all of your automation using purely Excel ? Or did I not understand that correctly ?
it relies on Guardian for the selections/betangel engine -but yes, the logic would be contained inside excel, rather than a baf file (altho a baf file could be added as a further filter - but this isn't something I do...)
sniffer66

jimibt wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:49 pm
sniffer66 wrote:
jimibt wrote:

it relies on Guardian for the selections/betangel engine -but yes, the logic would be contained inside excel, rather than a baf file (altho a baf file could be added as a further filter - but this isn't something I do...)
]

OK, thanks. I was actually hoping to do the opposite, owing to my lack of (current) Excel\VBA skills

Use a baf for the logic but link to Excel to pull either static or dynamic data into a Stored Value i.e in game tennis stats. I think I do (or can) have the ability to populate a spreadsheet via API\screen scraping. Or even use static season data
StefanBelo

sniffer66 wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:55 pm
jimibt wrote:
sniffer66 wrote:

]

OK, thanks. I was actually hoping to do the opposite, owing to my lack of (current) Excel\VBA skills

Use a baf for the logic but link to Excel to pull either static or dynamic data into a Stored Value i.e in game tennis stats. I think I do (or can) have the ability to populate a spreadsheet via API\screen scraping. Or even use static season data
I managed to get atp data on 4 lines of code, something like this:

AtpWorldTourProvider.GetPlayerDetails(mySelection.Name)

Which data you want to get for your bot?
sniffer66

StefanBelo wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:17 pm
sniffer66 wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:55 pm
jimibt wrote:

]

I managed to get atp data on 4 lines of code, something like this:

AtpWorldTourProvider.GetPlayerDetails(mySelection.Name)

Which data you want to get for your bot?
Well, it was more a proof of concept idea and ideally I'd like to pull live stats. 1st/2nd serve %'s, unforced errors etc but accept that might be tricky.
Season to date, any opf the usual stats would be helpful. i.e

Singles Service Record
Aces 3,434
Double Faults 1,808
1st Serve 68%
1st Serve Points Won 72%
2nd Serve Points Won 57%
Break Points Faced 5,765
Break Points Saved 67%
Service Games Played 13,497
Service Games Won 86%
Total Service Points Won 67%
Singles Return Record
1st Serve Return Points Won 34%
2nd Serve Return Points Won 55%
Break Points Opportunities 10,009
Break Points Converted 45%
Return Games Played 13,394
Return Games Won 34%
Return Points Won 42%
Total Points Won 55%

Is this an Excel only solution or could this be pulled into Guardian Automation somehow ? I'd assume not
StefanBelo

Yes, I have got such data, what you can offer me in exchange?
sniffer66

StefanBelo wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:55 am
Yes, I have got such data, what you can offer me in exchange?
That depends if I can use it in my automation. I don't believe I can, currently

Return to “Bet Angel - Automation”