NAS to run BetAngel?

MD7890

Hi
I have a Synology disk station NAS that I currently use for storage and sharing media at home.
It has plenty of free space (2TB+) so I was wondering if I could run betangel from there...like a local vps just without the monthly fees.
Not sure if it’s feasible/viable or if anyone does anything similar?

The main motivation is to have my bots running without needing my pc unlocked and running 247. But I would also want to be able to manually trade from it too.
Dallas

Bet Angel is licenced to your Betfair username so you can install it on as many Windows based PC's, servers etc as you want. So there'd be no problems logging into it remotely in any way
Euler

MD7890 wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 1:15 pm
Hi
I have a Synology disk station NAS that I currently use for storage and sharing media at home.
It has plenty of free space (2TB+) so I was wondering if I could run betangel from there...like a local vps just without the monthly fees.
Not sure if it’s feasible/viable or if anyone does anything similar?

The main motivation is to have my bots running without needing my pc unlocked and running 247. But I would also want to be able to manually trade from it too.
The disk station is just a storage device isn't it? You would need to run it on something with an OS
ShaunWhite

NAS is just storage isn't it? You can't actually run anything on it.
ShaunWhite

:D almost the same reply word for word.
MD7890

Thanks for the replies....I see a trend!! ;-)

Having looked a bit deeper since my post yesterday, Synology does offer a "Virtual Machine Manager" app that allows you to create a virtual machine on the NAS. You can then install a copy of Windows and run it alongside the storage functionality.
However, it would appear that my NAS is too old and/or doesn't have the processing capability to do this which may be why the App isn't available for me to select within the Synology interface.

so I'll be parking this idea for now.

Thanks again
ShaunWhite

MD7890 wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 7:20 am
Thanks for the replies....I see a trend!! ;-)

Having looked a bit deeper since my post yesterday, Synology does offer a "Virtual Machine Manager" app that allows you to create a virtual machine on the NAS. You can then install a copy of Windows and run it alongside the storage functionality.
However, it would appear that my NAS is too old and/or doesn't have the processing capability to do this which may be why the App isn't available for me to select within the Synology interface.

so I'll be parking this idea for now.

Thanks again
There are plenty of affordable VPS providers and if you only want a small amount of space and moderate processor then they can be as cheap as free. Even something fairly decent shouldn't be more than a dollar a day.

Running BA on another machine in your house (other than your main pc) won't give you much benefit. It will still need to be running 247 and you'll need to manage the connection if it goes down. With a proper vps, they're paying the electric bill and the internet connection is always solid and fast. The other advantage is that you can access it from anywhere so you can check it on a laptop, tablet or phone when you're out and about.

Return to “Technology”