Coronavirus - A pale horse,4 men and ....beer

A place to discuss anything.
greenmark

Have to admit I'm not in favour of tearing down statues/renaming public facilities (streets even) of people assosciated with slavery.
Our country is dripping with artefacts of various eras of invasion, rape and pillage.
Are we supposed to destory it all?
All our Viking, Norman, Roman references?
It reminds me of Islamic State trashing ancient sites.
There's an inability to accept stuff that happened yonks ago, but shaped our country.
Should we ask for reparations from Scandanavia, Italy and France?
That woud be preposterous.
The issue isn't slave traders, it's contemporary racism. BLM should be focussing on that, rather than anarchic, mindless destruction.
The violent vandals undermine a genuine cause.
Dallas

I was thinking similar things re tearing down statues and monuments, there was nothing really fair about our or any other countries history, take every poor men, women and children practically forced to work upto 18hrs a day 7 days a week or stave

Look at just the 17th, 18th and 19th centuries countless navvies have died with no care what so ever for them during the construction of bridges, canal's, railways etc yet we have statues honouring the Engineers like Stephenson, Brunell, Telford, Bridgewater who profited from there expoltation, not to mention the mill and factory owners that became insanly wealthy off the suffering and deaths of many people.

Also the first women to be sent to American were sent over after being bought by English settlers and farmers as wives yet i'm sure there must be statues, monuments buildings still named after the King at the time.
Derek27

superfrank wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:26 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:38 pm
Police have published photographs of five people responsible for bringing down the statue in Bristol.

I'm pretty sure number 3 is Andy Cole!
I've spotted spreadbetting in there. :lol:
sniffer66

superfrank wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:26 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:38 pm
Police have published photographs of five people responsible for bringing down the statue in Bristol.

I'm pretty sure number 3 is Andy Cole!
Call me dumb but wouldn't it have been simpler to arrest them at the time of the offence ? Or do we not do that now ?
firlandsfarm

sniffer66 wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:13 am
Call me dumb but wouldn't it have been simpler to arrest them at the time of the offence ? Or do we not do that now ?
They don't do that anymore because the 'mob' rules. The current thinking is that to arrest them at the scene will incite more thuggery and is to be avoided.
sniffer66

firlandsfarm wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:20 am
sniffer66 wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:13 am
They don't do that anymore because the 'mob' rules. The current thinking is that to arrest them at the scene will incite more thuggery and is to be avoided.
So, the police just give out the message that the mob can do wtf they like and you'll only be arrested if they can find you afterwards ?

And the deterrent in that would be ??
firlandsfarm

sniffer66 wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:19 am
So, the police just give out the message that the mob can do wtf they like and you'll only be arrested if they can find you afterwards ?

And the deterrent in that would be ??
There is no deterrent except if you are unlucky enough to get a hand on your shoulder later if identified and traced (and knowing that, they mostly wear face coverings). To me the wearing of a face mask at a gathering is clear evidence of intent to break the law … a defence of "I didn't want to get my face sunburnt" wouldn't work with me in the jury!

I expect the police would have a line drawn somewhere possibly where the immediate crimes are worse than the escalation caused by their intervention. This is not gospel sniffer, it's just my take on snippets picked up in news reports and police interviews. I may be completely wrong but it does fit the evidence. I think it's totally unacceptable.
Derek27

Did the police have the manpower to stop them? Off memory, I don't remember seeing many police around when the statue was pulled down.
firlandsfarm

You are probably right Derek but that in itself is a poor show. The police know where these demonstrations are being held and should call up support from other areas/forces. I bet if it was to be a right wing demonstration they would be there in force!
Archery1969

firlandsfarm wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:37 pm
You are probably right Derek but that in itself is a poor show. The police know where these demonstrations are being held and should call up support from other areas/forces. I bet if it was to be a right wing demonstration they would be there in force!
We have around 82,000 soldiers minus 30% currently on active deployment available to help out. Obviously not carrying an SA80 or bayonet. ;)
spreadbetting

Maybe we should ask Betfair to put up a market for the next statue to topple :lol:
Derek27

Archery1969 wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:16 pm
firlandsfarm wrote:
We have around 82,000 soldiers minus 30% currently on active deployment available to help out. Obviously not carrying an SA80 or bayonet. ;)
Leave out the SA80s but the bayonets could be used effectively. ;)
Archery1969

Derek27 wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:54 pm
Archery1969 wrote:
firlandsfarm wrote:
Leave out the SA80s but the bayonets could be used effectively. ;)
No need for state violence Derek. :lol:
firlandsfarm

Archery1969 wrote:
I agree Archery but the sensationalist media would have a field day with "Army on the streets of Britain"!
firlandsfarm

spreadbetting wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:51 pm
Maybe we should ask Betfair to put up a market for the next statue to topple :lol:
I would lay Nelson! :lol:

Return to “General discussion”