The sport of kings.
Derek27

Anbell wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:32 am
Scheduled outage
Wednesday 8th July from 0845-0915 BST
which I think is 5.45pm-6.45pm AEST today
https://forum.developer.betfair.com/for ... 5-0915-bst
It might be a good idea if we start a separate thread for maintenance/outages that are 'scheduled' by Betfair, but more importantly, unannounced and totally unexpected by people who use the exchange. ;)

I'm often the first to report a major outage on the Betfair down thread but feel like the last (or perhaps the 2nd ;) ) to hear about outages - stream information into one place. :)
Anbell

More:
" additional info for this evening's outage. You can expect:
* two 60 second period where bet placement with fail with ERROR_IN_MATCHER
* a pause on the Market Stream API where the documented status 503 error will be returned"
Naffman

Anbell wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:08 am
More:
" additional info for this evening's outage. You can expect:
* two 60 second period where bet placement with fail with ERROR_IN_MATCHER
* a pause on the Market Stream API where the documented status 503 error will be returned"
Nice, very much looking forward to that
firlandsfarm

Derek27 wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:04 pm
firlandsfarm wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:35 pm
For traders I can see it hurts but it would just about kill any betting system.
Bettors would be unaffected by turnover charge because they will generate more than 1.25% commission on turnover by generating 1.5% commission on losers and usually more on winners, which excludes them from the charge. The 10% commission though, would kill any small-margin betting system.
Thanks for clarifying Derek, I'm working on a small-margin system just now and assuming an average of 8% commission for the first pass!
Anbell

Derek27 wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:04 pm
The 10% commission though, would kill any small-margin betting system.
firlandsfarm wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:24 pm
Thanks for clarifying Derek, I'm working on a small-margin system just now and assuming an average of 8% commission for the first pass!
Of course, we have to remember that the commission is only on winnings/race, so if you have a successful 'small margin' system that wins 1% POT net of 8% commission, it would still be valuable at 10% commission.
firlandsfarm

Anbell wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:07 am
Of course, we have to remember that the commission is only on winnings/race, so if you have a successful 'small margin' system that wins 1% POT net of 8% commission, it would still be valuable at 10% commission.
Anbell don't forget that you effectively pay commission on your losses with the winnings that cover them! So if you made a profit of 1 point after 8% commission on total stakes of 100 points and let's say you have a 25% strike rate so you would have enjoyed 25 winning bets at 1 point stakes returning 82.61 gross winnings which net down to 76 points after 8% commission, offset the 75 losing bets gives you a 1 point profit. But if the commission rate was increased to 10% your commission deduction would be 8.26 points giving net winnings of 74.35 points which after deducting the 75 losing stakes gives the system a loss of 0.65 points!

It's a common misunderstanding of the effect of commission when using an exchange. "You only pay commission on your winnings" depends on how you define your winnings! "commission is only on winnings/race" is of course correct but because a long term profit is produced at X% commission does not mean there will still be a profit at a higher Y% rate. Your long term commission is effectively …

total commission = (system profit + losing stakes) x Comm%
Naffman

Big lumpy bets on early cairns r8
Naffman

Naffman wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:07 am
Big lumpy bets on early cairns r8
Can't get enough on, already 30k 8 mins out on a CL2
Anbell

firlandsfarm wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:43 am
Anbell wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:07 am
Anbell don't forget that you effectively pay commission on your losses with the winnings that cover them! So if you made a profit of 1 point after 8% commission on total stakes of 100 points and let's say you have a 25% strike rate so you would have enjoyed 25 winning bets at 1 point stakes returning 82.61 gross winnings which net down to 76 points after 8% commission, offset the 75 losing bets gives you a 1 point profit. But if the commission rate was increased to 10% your commission deduction would be 8.26 points giving net winnings of 74.35 points which after deducting the 75 losing stakes gives the system a loss of 0.65 points!

It's a common misunderstanding of the effect of commission when using an exchange. "You only pay commission on your winnings" depends on how you define your winnings! "commission is only on winnings/race" is of course correct but because a long term profit is produced at X% commission does not mean there will still be a profit at a higher Y% rate. Your long term commission is effectively …

total commission = (system profit + losing stakes) x Comm%
All true
Derek27

Trading early, you can get 10-15 ticks at Scone and get the most out of your chips.
Heisenberg

I've been on holiday for the past week and a bit so haven't traded but I notice today that BF are suspending MUCH faster than previously. Looking at about 1.5-2 seconds now, instead of 5+. Looks like they've finally got themselves a decent feed.
Anbell

Heisenberg wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:32 am
I've been on holiday for the past week and a bit so haven't traded but I notice today that BF are suspending MUCH faster than previously. Looking at about 1.5-2 seconds now, instead of 5+. Looks like they've finally got themselves a decent feed.
They did suggest that things were going to get better yesterday and asked for feedback. I've sent your comment to them.
spreadbetting

Heisenberg wrote:
Thanks, good to see they're getting things back to normal as 7 seconds etc was ridiculous.
Heisenberg

Anbell wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:41 am
Heisenberg wrote:
They did suggest that things were going to get better yesterday and asked for feedback. I've sent your comment to them.
Was that on Twitter? Or from your account manager? Just curious as to what 'things getting better' actually means in terms of the mechanism of turning the markets in play. Most likely a fast feed but could also be suspending off a slightly delayed radio call. Either way I'll have to adjust some strategies but if it's a permanent change then it can only be a good thing, far more confidence in taking BSP for starters.
Derek27

Heisenberg wrote:
Or maybe they've got the same feed and are just hitting the button earlier. :)

Return to “Trading Horse racing”