A place to discuss anything.
firlandsfarm

megarain wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:26 pm
One side effect of this :

When you first u get your VPS, it seems to come with 2 accounts :

Administrator

Guest.

Each Guest account has Bet Angel installed.

I never understood they are completely separate desktops. I now understand u can create multiple guest accounts, and run a different Bot on each
account, without fear of it impacting refresh .. at least that's what I am assuming.

This is pretty clever - wish someone had told me 5 yrs ago.
Megarain could you clarify please … you say it comes with 2 accounts, Administrator and Guest and then say "Each Guest account" (implying more than one) … does that mean each time you create a Guest account BA is automatically installed? You now have me wondering if this is the case with a normal PC setup. Would active BA installs on different Windows accounts keep running when you log over to another Windows account on the PC or is that something that is VPS specific?
Euler

A VPS windows license only comes with one account by default unless you buy additional windows CAL licenses.

But of course, you need an administrator account to manage that main account so you do have two accounts in effect. But they share resources so everything, including the power of the VPS, is divided in two.

You can set up more than one account on Windows as well, but you can only switch in and out of the account to use it. So it's very different from a VPS.
megarain

Megarain could you clarify please … you say it comes with 2 accounts, Administrator and Guest and then say "Each Guest account" (implying more than one) … does that mean each time you create a Guest account BA is automatically installed? You now have me wondering if this is the case with a normal PC setup. Would active BA installs on different Windows accounts keep running when you log over to another Windows account on the PC or is that something that is VPS specific?
This is v well beyond my scope of expertise. I was going to run a shed load of bots, on multiple guest accounts and see what damage it did.

Maybe its not worth the bother.
marketraisen

I've skim read the thread a couple of times but I must have missed what VPS service OP was using? Was it the one advertised on the BA website?
megarain

Yes - but they all come with Administrator by default.
marketraisen

megarain wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:05 am
Yes - but they all come with Administrator by default.
Ok thank you, whenever I make the move to VPS it was always going to be the BA one so I'll keep this thread in mind for when the time comes.

Is this a common problem?
marketraisen

Right now my automation computer is my old laptop, its been sitting in the back room of the house for 2 years now just betting away for me, I've barely touched it in that time.

I havent considered security to be an issue on the thing at all but perhaps I should be getting rid of the admin user account even though its on a home connection, should probably do it on every windows machine reading this thread, there doesnt seem to be a downside.
megarain

Ok thank you, whenever I make the move to VPS it was always going to be the BA one so I'll keep this thread in mind for when the time comes.

Is this a common problem?
I have 6-8 VPS running.

4 have been hacked in 3 years. Just lucky they haven't done any real damage apart from time-wasting.

If u notify the VPS owner/leaser, they normally do a clean install for you.
marketraisen

megarain wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:22 am
4 have been hacked in 3 years. Just lucky they haven't done any real damage apart from time-wasting.
That sounds like a pretty serious problem, if the person throwing bots at peoples VPS clients knows anything about betfair theyll recognise what theyre seeing on the machine straight away and could easily extract money from an account.

I'll need to learn more on security before signing up it seems, every VPS service always highlights security as one of the main benefits of using a service at all.
firlandsfarm

megarain wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:26 pm
I never understood they are completely separate desktops. I now understand u can create multiple guest accounts, and run a different Bot on each
account, without fear of it impacting refresh .. at least that's what I am assuming.
Euler wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:04 pm
A VPS windows license only comes with one account by default unless you buy additional windows CAL licenses.

But of course, you need an administrator account to manage that main account so you do have two accounts in effect. But they share resources so everything, including the power of the VPS, is divided in two.

You can set up more than one account on Windows as well, but you can only switch in and out of the account to use it. So it's very different from a VPS.
You can do likewise on a Win10 Pro PC at home but it will affect your refresh rate so excluding the speed advantage of the VPS you can set your home PC up with multi-accounts as if it is a VPS at home. But the computer's resources are what they are whether a PC or a VPS and the resources will be shared around the users as required. As Euler says you can have multiple accounts on windows including a windows PC but you don't need to switch in and out of them to use them. You can have say 3 windows accounts on the PC and open them all using Remote Desktop (RDP) to address localhost so any app running will remain so and you use the windows created by RDP to switch between them as you would switch between any windows on a PC. It has the same effect as having multiple accounts on a windows VPS.

With Win10 Home RDP is loaded but disabled. It can be activated with RDP wrapper (https://www.thewindowsclub.com/how-to-u ... s-home-rdp) but is a little complicated and you need to dig out an update/workaround because a later windows update changed some settings but 'the boys' soon found a way around that! :)

Return to “General discussion”