US Presidential Election 2020

Betfair trading & Punting on politics. Be aware there is a lot of off topic discussion in this group centred on Political views.
sionascaig

I really don't know on this market but I bet when its over it will be obvious!
Naffman

spreadbetting wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:07 am
Anbell wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:01 am
ddjsphere wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:38 pm
I am confident money will be made from this market.
I'm also very confident of this.
The amount of time some people have spent on this market you'd hope they'd be in at least 4-5 figures by now.
What a strange comment - people have different strategies
gazuty

spreadbetting wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:07 am
Anbell wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:01 am
ddjsphere wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:38 pm
I am confident money will be made from this market.
I'm also very confident of this.
The amount of time some people have spent on this market you'd hope they'd be in at least 4-5 figures by now.
Profit correlation to forum participation 🤔
sionascaig

The Trump Show - pretty entertaining programme on BBC2...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p08svdkn
Trader Pat

I really cant wait for this election to be over. The sooner a result is called the sooner I can pocket my green and go back to focusing on stuff I actually care about. I've had such a gut full of it I cant even be arsed responding to comments on this thread anymore! :lol:
Rabbs

Trader Pat wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:37 pm
I really cant wait for this election to be over. The sooner a result is called the sooner I can pocket my green and go back to focusing on stuff I actually care about. I've had such a gut full of it I cant even be arsed responding to comments on this thread anymore! :lol:
I'm the Yin to your Yang. Wait 4 years for this. Monster market. So entertaining. And in the end you walk away flush. Love it
Trader Pat

Rabbs wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:20 am
Trader Pat wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:37 pm
I'm the Yin to your Yang. Wait 4 years for this. Monster market. So entertaining. And in the end you walk away flush. Love it
Dont get me wrong I love the market, I wish there was an election every year! :D

Its just all the BS that comes with it
johnsheppard

Trader Pat wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:03 pm
Well if there was no such thing as marketing...and advertising....

Imagine if at a job interview the interviewee turned up and said, well....this is the honest truth. Then the interviewer said...this is the honest truth.... I am almost certain the outcome would be better for everyone involved (including those not present at the interview)...
Trader Pat

johnsheppard wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:14 pm
Trader Pat wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:03 pm
Well if there was no such thing as marketing...and advertising....

Imagine if at a job interview the interviewee turned up and said, well....this is the honest truth. Then the interviewer said...this is the honest truth.... I am almost certain the outcome would be better for everyone involved (including those not present at the interview)...
Was talking more about how people get tribal and emotionally attached to their opinions. Then you get sucked in to arguing with people about it and debating the ins and outs of yours and their opinion. The truth seems to get lost in the commotion and common sense doesn't even come into the equation. People are so entrenched in their opinions that they aren't even open to the possibility that they're wrong.

Something that has always amazed me is how people don't judge a comment on its merits but on who is saying it. You see it everywhere especially on social media but it really comes into its own in politics with supporters of one candidate or another.

The whole circus gets very tiring after a while.
jamesedwards

Been a full-on Trump steam in the last few hours. Over 3 into 2.64. not sure of the cause, unless it's Derek hedging out some more of his enormous green... :mrgreen:
Trader Pat

Who knows but long may it continue! I want Trump odds on so I can lay off some of my comedy green
johnsheppard

Trader Pat wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:33 pm
Was talking more about how people get tribal and emotionally attached to their opinions.
Ahh ic!

I'm a relative noob at observing political markets and things. I think the tribalism thing is probably a US thing? In my local politics (Australia) I don't think we get all that much of that....I would guess we're a bit more like the UK....

Our state gov elections are running now also and I get all this useless advertising in the mail. It's sole purpose is to tell me that the OTHER party is shit and the worlds gonna implode if we vote them. The result being I have no idea what the political parties actually stand for... Then they use blatant images out of context and all the tricks in the graphic designers book with colour psychology and all that stuff.... just turns into a bunch of 3 year olds in a sand pit...
Trader Pat

johnsheppard wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:38 pm
Our state gov elections are running now also and I get all this useless advertising in the mail. It's sole purpose is to tell me that the OTHER party is shit and the worlds gonna implode if we vote them. The result being I have no idea what the political parties actually stand for... Then they use blatant images out of context and all the tricks in the graphic designers book with colour psychology and all that stuff.... just turns into a bunch of 3 year olds in a sand pit...
Yeah its a real shame, the message always seems to gets lost in the noise!

Unless you don't have a message in the first place in which case it works well! :D
Rabbs

Bye bye Biden
firlandsfarm

johnsheppard wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:38 pm
... I get all this useless advertising in the mail. It's sole purpose is to tell me that the OTHER party is shit and the worlds gonna implode if we vote them. The result being I have no idea what the political parties actually stand for... Then they use blatant images out of context and all the tricks in the graphic designers book
Yep it's what I call the Criticise Culture of today. Don't say what you would do better just say where what they are doing is crap in your opinion.
The reason is that the media look for disagreement. Disagreement makes news, agreement is boring! Also it only takes one "expert" to disagree with something to make news while the others who agree are not mentioned. A good example was when Prof. Neil Ferguson claimed he told the Government to lockdown a week earlier than they did and it would have saved lives ... scientists who did not make that recommendation were not mentioned!

And they always claim "the people" agree with them. I am a member of "the people" but I've never been asked if I agree with them!

Return to “Political betting & arguing”