How many races traded per day?

The sport of kings.
kerza

Hi all, I've been following the forum for a while but never posted until now.

I'm wondering, on average how many races do you end up trading compared to how many you showed up to but didn't see anything worth trading in?

I know the answer will be different for everyone but I thought it would be interesting to ask, as I assume the more experienced will be able to find a trade in most races.
Emmson

Today 19 so far incorporating Yank, Aus, Irish & British., if I had risen out of my pit earlier and there was not an IPL T20 cricket game going on, many more. I'm still on my learning curve with the nags.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
alexmr2

From what I have seen I think you are right assuming that experienced traders can find a trade in MOST races. However I would say that the long-term expectancy from certain races will be very low compared to others. So there comes a point where it is a much more efficient use of time to focus on the higher quality races and miss the lower quality ones (see the 80/20 rule).

In my experience this is not just a case of turning your nose up at a fiver but a case of keeping your psychology intact and much more when you don't have as much of an edge
Derek27

I open a trade in almost 100% of the races I look at, but that's partly because I'm over-enthusiastic and partly because I have a speculative, have-a-go approach. I probably should bypass a few more races but I use smaller stakes if I'm not confident.
smallplayer

Emmson wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:16 pm
Today 19 so far incorporating Yank, Aus, Irish & British., if I had risen out of my pit earlier and there was not an IPL T20 cricket game going on, many more. I'm still on my learning curve with the nags.
Some nice results there Emmson, esp if still new to the nags. I assume you are scratching not so good ones very quick and letting good ones run, based on figures I am seeing?
rik

Emmson wrote:
how come so many small wins and some a lot bigger?
Trader Pat

I think the number of races you trade depends on what stage of your trading journey your at. When your using larger stakes it makes sense to be more selective and to leave some races out altogether. But when your using small stakes you can trade pretty much every race if you want to as you can cycle smaller stakes through the market much easier than larger stakes. At the start of your journey if you're using £20-£50 stakes imo it doesn't make sense to select markets based on quality because you're potentially passing up some very good opportunities on lower quality racing. Obviously as stakes increase it no longer makes much sense to trade some races unless there's a very obvious opportunity.

Also you're style of trading comes into it as well. Are you a person who only puts one trade into the market and sits and waits for a very clear opportunity before getting involved or would you be someone who places an order then scratches it several times over?

In the month of September of all the markets I sat down to looking for an opportunity I traded 79.6% of them. Of the 20% of races I didn't trade I still watched the market but either I didn't see an opportunity, or the risk reward wasn't worth it or there just wasn't time with races overlapping etc..

When starting out you should be aiming to trade as many markets as possible as that's how you will learn.
Derek27

smallplayer wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:46 am
Emmson wrote:
Some nice results there Emmson, esp if still new to the nags. I assume you are scratching not so good ones very quick and letting good ones run, based on figures I am seeing?
He's been new to the nags for a few years now, the world's most experienced newbie. ;)
goat68

Derek27 wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:56 pm
smallplayer wrote:
Emmson wrote:
He's been new to the nags for a few years now, the world's most experienced newbie. ;)
Still amazing, 100% strike rate without a loss!
I find usually within 10seconds I am sitting small negative before much happens...
Saw some similar PnL in Aus thread from someone else as well, I can only think it's a scaled in strategy and trade out as soon as it goes -ve...
Emmson

Derek27 wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:56 pm
smallplayer wrote:
Emmson wrote:
Not a newbie but a learner, you can outside returns on some races by not hedging across all runners and also when you're super confident you can push harder. Most of the time it is between 50 pence and a quid
eightbo

rik wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:24 am
Emmson wrote:
how come so many small wins and some a lot bigger?
not saying he's done it of course but 1day P&L results are pointless to analyse, only ever half the picture as doesn't reflect risk taken/MAE
i used to have terrible days full of emotional trading where P&L looked pretty but it was heavy -ve expectancy, sample size was just too small to show it
eightbo

if you're not clearing 100 mkts every Saturday are you even a committed horse racing trader?
gazuty

Once automated and your bot finds favourable positions you trade them all, without emotion.
Capture.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
eightbo

gazuty wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:11 am
always love seeing your matched bets gazuty, very inspiring knowing it works well for you.
kerza

eightbo wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:55 pm
if you're not clearing 100 mkts every Saturday are you even a committed horse racing trader?
:lol: It was a question that popped into my head but I realise everyone is different. You don't need to trade many markets to make a decent profit.

Return to “Trading Horse racing”