Today's Football

Football, Soccer - whatever you call it. It is the beautiful game.
Trader Pat

Kai wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:48 pm
Trader Pat wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:30 pm
Kai wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:23 pm
City now clear favorites for the title, until the next City loss at least :)

No idea why Klopp didn't go for a CB after losing Lovren, there are no obvious prospects at the club.
I hope he goes with Fabinho & Matip for the main CB pairing. Big things expected from Billy Koumetio , he's only 17 but I'd expect him to be fast-tracked into the first team squad. Would think Klopp will have to go big in January for a CB, short term this is obviously a disaster but this time next season we could have a CB pairing of Van Dijk and Koulibaly.
Whole season could be a write-off after this point, in terms of challenging for the biggest stuff, massive challenge to play now without him, his aura of composure will be irreplaceable.

Yeah, will have to do what Pep did with Fernandinho and convert Fabinho to CB unless Gomez gets his confidence back. Koumetio very raw still for me, like Rhys Williams, behind van den Berg I think, plus they got rid of Hoever which was the only prospect I really liked. Nat Phillips now has to stay for backup, don't think he has what it takes at this level but could be a big opportunity if taken.

Be interesting to see if Klopp changes tactically, maybe not play such a high line. Still fancy us for the Premier League, don't think any team will be winning 8,9,10 games in a row. Even before this happened I didn't think there would be a stand out team in the league with the condensed fixture list especially in Europe. Going to be dodgy at the back but still think we have more than enough going forward to challenge, especially with Thiago in midfield. His injury not thought to be too serious so he should be back soon. As for the Champions League the group shouldnt pose too many problems, Ajax and Atalanta are attacking teams so we should be able to outscore them (fingers crossed) !

It will probably be a case of fastening your seat belt this season and might be a bit like when Brendan Rodgers was in charge but there should be plenty of goals! :D
Kai

Trader Pat wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:59 pm
It will probably be a case of fastening your seat belt this season and might be a bit like when Brendan Rodgers was in charge but there should be plenty of goals! :D
Aye :D Always had a strong feeling it was all downhill right after winning the league, and winning everything else before that, but these last 2 matches are a bit hard to take.
Trader Pat

Kai wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:05 pm
Trader Pat wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:59 pm
Aye :D Always had a strong feeling it was all downhill right after winning the league, and winning everything else before that, but these last 2 matches are a bit hard to take.
Stay positive Kai!

Sheff Utd in the league next so I'm choosing to believe it will be a confidence boosting win and trying my best not to entertain the thought of Rhian Brewster scoring a hat trick! :)
MemphisFlash

Capture.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
weemac

Home wins this weekend:

1/8 in EPL
1/12 in Championship
0/9 in Bundesliga
0/5 in Scots Premier
Kafkaesque

Trader Pat wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:08 pm

Sheff Utd in the league next so I'm choosing to believe it will be a confidence boosting win and trying my best not to entertain the thought of Rhian Brewster scoring a hat trick! :)
Wellllll, in terms of a must-win and/or confidence booster, I'd say Sheffield United - poor form notwithstanding - are the worst team to come up against. In the context of a first match without your defensive lynchpin.

Outside the shithousery-show that is Barnes & Wood, there's not a pair of strikers who's more in the lineup to get in the central defenders' faces, at least as much as to score goals, as is the case with McBurnie & McGoldrick. They'll be looking to rattle whoever's put in there.

Also, Sheffield United's greatest strength is imo the ability to create overloads, especially 3-on-2's in and around the opposition fullbacks. There'll be a need for some very disciplined and smart tracking back from the three CM's and/or Mane/Salah. Which isn't going to happen from Salah. The risk of CB's being dragged out is real. Not the best opponent without the player usually marshalling the defence.

Which isn't to say that Matip and Fabinho/Gomez can't handle it. Or that Klopp can't come up with a workable plan to counter it. He did last season. But an automatic confidence booster it isn't ;) It will be interesting tactically though, and it could easily be yet, yet another muliti multi goal cracker imo.
Derek27

Interesting match. Over 0.5 was 1.05 at the start of the match. Neither side looked highly likely to score, yet prices stayed steady for the first 20 minutes and the draw was 1.5 with 10 minutes to go!
download.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kai

"Joel Matip a fitness doubt vs. Ajax after undergoing scan"

That didn't take long, for him to get injured out of thin air! Yet again! When you need him most!

How is this man even a professional athlete? Surely by now he's just a professional patient whose career has been blighted by football :roll:
Dallas

Kai wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:18 pm
"Joel Matip a fitness doubt vs. Ajax after undergoing scan"

That didn't take long, for him to get injured out of thin air! Yet again! When you need him most!

How is this man even a professional athlete? Surely by now he's just a professional patient whose career has been blighted by football :roll:
:lol:
Trader Pat

You wont find a bigger Liverpool or VVD fan than me but some pundits and journalists are acting like the world has ended and we wont be able to win another match until he returns. Sky Sports website has an article with the lead paragraph:

Liverpool are stepping into the unknown

We did win quite a few trophies before the big man came to Liverpool :lol:

I love Van Dijk and for me he's the best CB in the world but calm down! Some journalists are even saying PIckford should be banned until VVD comes back from injury, that's ridiculous! You can argue about whether or not he deserved to be sent off but that's all down to the interpretation of the rules by the officials but he wasn't so just move on.

I cant think of another player who had a potentially career ending injury that had the same kind of response. I don't agree with much that Carragher has to say but he's got this spot on, its a bad injury from a bad challenge but it happens and that's football!

Trying to stay positive about the whole thing so Alisson is already back in training so should be back soon, Thiago is only expected to miss the Ajax game. On the negative like Kai has said sicknote Matip is injured again!
Kai

Cheers lads, it's nice to get things off your chest here in the Liverpool thread!
wearthefoxhat

weemac wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:58 pm
Home wins this weekend:

1/8 in EPL
1/12 in Championship
0/9 in Bundesliga
0/5 in Scots Premier
Good spot!
Trader Pat

Kai wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:22 pm
Cheers lads, it's nice to get things off your chest here in the Liverpool thread!
:lol:

There only seems to be a Liverpool thread and a Southampton thread on the forum :)
Trader Pat

Klopp on Van Dijk : 'We will wait for him, like a good wife waits on a husband who's in jail' :lol:
Kai

Trader Pat wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:22 pm
Klopp on Van Dijk : 'We will wait for him, like a good wife waits on a husband who's in jail' :lol:
He said the exact same thing about Ox when he got badly injured the first time, at 0:40 in this clip : https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6ktrfa

Sadly he is still waiting on Ox :(

Return to “Football trading”