% Return on Turnover

The sport of kings.
Naffman

jimibt wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:33 am
MemphisFlash wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:56 am
a piece of string is twice the distance from the centre to the edge!!!
you're late this year... normally round about september when you roll that one out :D
MemphisFlash wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:25 pm
A piece of string is twice the distance from the centre to the end. Everyone knows that.
:lol: :lol:
jimibt

Naffman wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:37 am
jimibt wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:33 am
MemphisFlash wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:56 am
a piece of string is twice the distance from the centre to the edge!!!
you're late this year... normally round about september when you roll that one out :D
MemphisFlash wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:25 pm
A piece of string is twice the distance from the centre to the end. Everyone knows that.
:lol: :lol:

the previous time, it was more springtime when the cliche 1st surfaced :D
MemphisFlash wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:50 am
a piece of string is twice the distance from the centre to the end? :D :D :D ;) :o :o :lol: :lol: :lol:
Morbius

smallplayer wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:40 am
Hi again Mobius. I think I first seen you on the thread I started about 6% ROI. You didn't get an answer on that one and in this one you are trying again. I think these questions are almost impossible for the guys here to answer for all the reasons already given and many more. As you already know, "how long is a piece of string" is the standard answer to all trading questions because of the complexity of trading. When I started out, as a very logically minded person, I found the lack of concise answers to be infuriating but as I started to understand more, I realized that no one could give me the satisfaction I craved. So I started trading and posted a few P & l's and worked things out and asked questions from there. I recommend you do the same, as I feel if you wait until you are armed with all the information you feel you require before starting, then you will never get going. I know you have already traded, so I am not saying you don't trade but I feel you are searching for something extra you will never find. Ignore me if I am way off the mark. GL :D

You are way off the mark my friend but thanks for replying ...much appreciated. this forum isn't my only educational source so no worries. Thankfully Wall Street brains think differently

How long is a piece of string???? Show me a picture of the string with something to scale it against and I can tell you ;)
Euler

I've never really concerned myself with return on turnover, though I do measure it. On pre-off footy I'll use large stakes but can only ever return small amounts unless the market is spectacular. So I'm more concerned about the risk I'm taking. If there is little risk, I'll happily use much large stakes and accept a lower return.

But the return on turnover varies wildily between markets and strategies. There is no one answer that is correct and everybody will be wildly different. I don't think there is much you can infer from that.
Derek27

Learn to swim and then read books about how to improve your technique. Don't start off reading books. Knowing that you're 10% buoyant won't help. :)
Morbius

Euler wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:37 am
I've never really concerned myself with return on turnover, though I do measure it. On pre-off footy I'll use large stakes but can only ever return small amounts unless the market is spectacular. So I'm more concerned about the risk I'm taking. If there is little risk, I'll happily use much large stakes and accept a lower return.

But the return on turnover varies wildily between markets and strategies. There is no one answer that is correct and everybody will be wildly different. I don't think there is much you can infer from that.

Thanks Peter....at last a post with detail but there was more to infer from your post than what seems apparent. Your post indicates that you take volatility seriously which I know your philosophy is geared around it. The level of risk is connected to volatility and position sizing so dollar volatility plays a part but these metrics differ in a strategy to strategy basis and even a market to market basis as you well know. However a return on turnover is a derivative of these components and so in the absence of further data, you can only take a piece of the puzzle and back engineer, as for what Derek said about walking before you can run.....well let's just say I walk very well in that regard and sometimes in financial markets one has to do the opposite of what is obvious and work not from the beginning but from further down the line
Morbius

That's me done with this thread as clearly the "conversation" didn't go down the expected pathway :D
spreadbetting

Only a matter of time before you start asking for everyone's star signs ;)
Jukebox

spreadbetting wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:07 pm
Only a matter of time before you start asking for everyone's star signs ;)
LOL It depends!
Kai

I think OP is just gathering feedback to compare the numbers with his own strategy and approach, not specifically asking in order to copy what others are doing.

I don't measure these things since I already know my trading is woefully inefficient.
Kai

Morbius wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:04 pm
That's me done with this thread as clearly the "conversation" didn't go down the expected pathway :D
Question wasn't specific enough. Can more or less gauge how people trade if you read enough posts, people do talk about their trading more than they say.

I'm crap with numbers but you can probably work out sensible healthy numbers without needing feedback from others.
Kai wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:30 pm
I don't measure these things since I already know my trading is woefully inefficient.
You probably already know what I meant, but by inefficient I mean for market A I should be applying strategy A but I'll too often apply strategy B instead, just because it's easier for me to execute and smooths out the variance, that's the trade-off that I am happy to take.

Even though it would be more prudent patiently sitting on a good valuable position and not give it away on the cheap, we all love a bit of instant gratification in our trading. A bit like, we should all be eating healthy because it's good for us long term, but it doesn't taste as good as junk food :)

So it may make trading that much easier to execute and handle better mentally, but it's far from efficient. Neither is skipping the more difficult markets just because there's a decent chance of incurring a loss.
The Silk Run

Lexical semantics angel !!!

Return to “Trading Horse racing”