US Presidential Election 2020

Betfair trading & Punting on politics. Be aware there is a lot of off topic discussion in this group centred on Political views.
Derek27

Congress should warn Trump that they'll hold him personally and legally responsible for his mob if he makes no serious effort to deter them from further violence in the last few days. His presidency has just got worse and worse and it may not yet have peaked!
jamesg46

Derek27 wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:25 am
Congress should warn Trump that they'll hold him personally and legally responsible for his mob if he makes no serious effort to deter them from further violence in the last few days. His presidency has just got worse and worse and it may not yet have peaked!
Violence in America is the new national sport & its coming from every angle, Antifa are very prone to a good bust up themselves. Red vs Blue or Blue vs Red, don't want to be biased there, the internet is pretty sensitive & tends to interpret sentences into something you weren't suggesting or even write.
Derek27

Now that Trump's sobered up and realises that Biden's the next president, I think he's going to struggle with the videos of police officers getting crushed and beaten up by his mob. I don't think he can rely on Kayleigh to keep defending himself anymore, she appears to be feeling the strain and could easily add her name to the resignation list. :D
Derek27

Twitter's banned 70,000 accounts relating to CT. :D

DT without Twitter must be like me without the rant thread. :lol:
jamesg46

Did the US & UK stock exchanges de list Chinese stocks yesterday?
LeTiss

Derek27 wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:26 am

I actually find this quite disturbing. I think social media and the internet in general has taken a dark turn!
We're now seeing Parler having problems after Google and Amazon removed them from their platforms

One of the beauties of living in a free world is having the freedom to develop your own thoughts, and believe in whatever you wish to believe in
Obviously, politics is a thorny issue, as many if us lean different ways

Howver, to start cancelling accounts because you disapprove of their political views sets a very dangerous precedent

It has been coming for a while though. This modern day 'Cancel Culture' where activists are searching the internet and seeking out views they consider hateful has been increasing for a while. You have to do the 'Walk of Shame' like in Game of Thrones if you're not suitably woke enough
napshnap

LeTiss wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:38 am
Derek27 wrote:

I actually find this quite disturbing. I think social media and the internet in general has taken a dark turn!
We're now seeing Parler having problems after Google and Amazon removed them from their platforms

One of the beauties of living in a free world is having the freedom to develop your own thoughts, and believe in whatever you wish to believe in

Howver, to start cancelling accounts because you disapprove of their political views sets a very dangerous precedent

It has been coming for a while though. This modern day 'Cancel Culture' where activists are searching the internet and seeking out views they consider hateful has been increasing for a while. You have to do the 'Walk of Shame' like in Game of Thrones if you're not suitably woke enough
Leftists and "free world" are two incompatible entities.
verance

LeTiss wrote:
This is true but surely there has to be a line drawn somewhere before your belief turns into terrorism?
superfrank

Realrocknrolla

LeTiss wrote:
Derek27 wrote:

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Shame Shame Shame Shame

Cracked that out already in this lockdown! Brilliant
spreadbetting

As soon as I read the tag line I realised it'd be some fairy story and didn't bother.

"I am a Christian, a husband, a father, a patriotic American, and the CEO of @gab. Now faith is..."
wearthefoxhat

I think some of the really important questions aren't being asked....

trumped1.png
trumped2.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Euler

LeTiss wrote:

The trouble is where to you draw the line, on the left or right? Trump basically incited a riot and yet people get accounts suspended for far less.

The problem is the platform really. Social media gets paid for creating division and oneupmanship and isn't held responsible for the consequences. Ultimately all these social media giants are worth trillions because that have pushed out traditional media that has to play by tougher rules. They do need to be regulated IMHO and make bigger steps to act more responsibly.

I believe in free speech et al but social media is creating divisions and structural problems like never before.

To give you a case in point, I was following a row on twitter last year. This escalated dramatically and the antagnoist threaten to blow the face off this person. To ram home the point he sent a picture of him holding a gun and this persons address. Twitter would not remove his account.

Of course he contacted the police, but twitter would still not remove the account or hand over details. Even if they did they could be anon anyhow.

I got in contact with the person and suggested a way that the police could find out who the person is without relying on social media. So I ended up in dialogue with the Police to help them track down the individual involved.

You have some of the most intelligent people on the planet basically using their talent to create division to sell advertising space. Surely they can come up with a better process and solution to the current set of problems?
LeTiss

Blimey that's pretty serious when people start posting images of guns and making personal threats

You're right though, social media divides people like nothing else I've known in my 50 years

It creates echo chambers, as you can block or mute anyone you disapprove of
Derek27

LeTiss wrote:
Derek27 wrote:

The fact that Trump was allowed to spread so much bullshit for four years is evidence to the contrary. It seems the straw that broke the camel's back was the violence on Capitol Hill being further fuelled by DT and his tweets.

Return to “Political betting & arguing”