US Presidential Election 2020

Betfair trading & Punting on politics. Be aware there is a lot of off topic discussion in this group centred on Political views.
Derek27

Archery1969 wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:16 pm
Biden and Harris seem to be righteous and holy. So we can expect them to be handing over Anne Sacoolas to stand trial can’t we ? :roll:

If not then not everyone is equal and some people are indeed above the law.

But I won’t be holding my breath.
The Queen and people granted diplomatic immunity have always been above the law.

I don't know why people started calling for a change in the law after the Harry Dunn tragedy. Has everyone forgotten about policewoman Yvonne Fletcher, shot dead by a Libyan diplomat in 1984 who was subsequently allowed to go home? Something should have been done about it then.
Trader Pat

If Trump doesn't come out before the inauguration and call for calm then I don't see how people can still defend him with a straight face. Whether he did or didn't incite violence is open to debate but if he doesn't try to calm the situation before next Wednesday its obvious that he's happy for more blood to be spilled.
jamesg46

Trader Pat wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:28 pm
If Trump doesn't come out before the inauguration and call for calm then I don't see how people can still defend him with a straight face. Whether he did or didn't incite violence is open to debate but if he doesn't try to calm the situation before next Wednesday its obvious that he's happy for more blood to be spilled.
He did it today.
jamesg46

Trader Pat wrote:
https://youtu.be/eZ5fM4zC3b0

And what he's referring to about the other politicians saying is in the link posted by superfrank above.
Trader Pat

jamesg46 wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:37 pm
Trader Pat wrote:
He did it today.
He needs to speak directly to his supporters who according to the FBI are planning armed stand offs at state capitols across America and tell them to stand down. He spoke directly to them last week when calling on them to march on the Capitol, he needs to address them directly again and tell them he doesn't want any violence.

Generically saying we don't want any violence to a camera isn't the same thing.
Trader Pat

This could make things very interesting tomorrow :

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/mcconn ... rts-report
jamesg46

Trader Pat wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:57 pm

Yeah, I think its inevitable tbh... what concerns me is how his base react to it. I don't really see the point at this stage, the negative reaction could out weigh their upper cut knock out blow but it is what it is as trump would say.
Euler

I think GOP will lose it's core base if it entertains Trump as a spokesperson for their values. Looks like some corporations are already voting with their feet.

The US constitution is very dear to the American hearts and it feels like he crossed the line. Maybe he was playing a game of chicken?
Archery1969

While this table doesn't necessarily equate to actual sales it is still rather worrying. :o
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Trader Pat

Euler wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:09 pm
I think GOP will lose it's core base if it entertains Trump as a spokesperson for their values. Looks like some corporations are already voting with their feet.
Yeah the battle for the soul of the party is well and truly on now.

I said months ago that if Trump lost the election you'd see the party start to turn against him but I don't think anyone could have imagined whats happened over the past few weeks and there's still a week to go before the inauguration for more chaos.
superfrank

The Founding Fathers never envisioned a leftist America.

They'll be turning in their graves at the way it is going (and would likely get banned from Twitter if they were alive today).
Trader Pat

jamesg46 wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:05 pm
Trader Pat wrote:

Yeah, I think its inevitable tbh... what concerns me is how his base react to it. I don't really see the point at this stage, the negative reaction could out weigh their upper cut knock out blow but it is what it is as trump would say.
It might have something to do with 2024.

A successful impeachment needs a 2 thirds majority in the Senate but a ban on holding office in the future only needs a simple majority. You could have a scenario where the GOP could get rid of him for good without having to actually impeach him.
Archery1969

Trader Pat wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:38 pm
jamesg46 wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:05 pm
Trader Pat wrote:

It might have something to do with 2024.

A successful impeachment needs a 2 thirds majority in the Senate but a ban on holding office in the future only needs a simple majority. You could have a scenario where the GOP could get rid of him for good without having to actually impeach him.
Wasn't there talk of his son running in 2024 ?
Derek27

jamesg46 wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:37 pm
Trader Pat wrote:
He did it today.
What?? He basically endorsed his inflammatory speech as appropriate, effectively encouraging more protest. He also blames the Democrats for creating anger by exercising democratic rights!
Trader Pat

Archery1969 wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:40 pm
Wasn't there talk of his son running in 2024 ?
Can't see the base going for Trump Light

Return to “Political betting & arguing”