Coronavirus - A pale horse,4 men and ....beer

A place to discuss anything.
StellaBot

;)
SweetLyrics

I don't think so, but I hardly see the relevance!
StellaBot wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:52 pm
Is there a vac for aids?
StellaBot

k
Derek27

SweetLyrics wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:20 pm
I think that's a good point.

The government have said from the start that they are listening to the experts. I don't doubt that's the case. But are they inviting the right experts into the conversation, i.e. do they listen to economists as well as epidemiologists to get a balanced view of the short- and long- term effects of their policies? And are they asking the right questions? Are they asking merely 'What can do to minimise the number of people getting Covid?', or are they asking 'What can we do that will minimise the years of life lost?'.

I'm sceptical of the government's decisions (and very critical of a lot of their decision making, which can be inconsistent and sometimes comes across as being made on the basis of someone's gut feeling). However, I don't claim to know what the answer is (and I think many experts would privately admit that they don't, either).
Derek27 wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:14 pm
Many people are in one camp or the other without balancing health and the effect on the economy.
I guess they got some good brains advising them. The problem is BJ goes along with them if it suits him but ignores them if he doesn't like what he hears, like the national Christmas virus spreading event.
alexmr2

StellaBot wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:35 pm
Meet me ouside London Hospital
I will pay you money to work there?
This is one of the standard responses to anti-lockdown or rule breakers, I do think it's a pointless exercise unless you have some context to compare it to e.g. 10 years experience in ICUs through multiple flu seasons. In reality people have been dying in hospitals for hundreds of years and 1600 deaths per day is the normal UK death figure any other year.

All I have saw is the BBC broadcast the 1% of the 1% critical care wards with the patients in the worst conditions struggling to breathe, giving a warped perspective of reality. I have also saw some people walk round hospitals videoing, and I'm not saying there's no patients but there's certainly not ambulances queued up or beds piled up in corridors as you would expect from a true pandemic
Derek27

alexmr2 wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:40 pm
All I have saw is the BBC broadcast the 1% of the 1% critical care wards with the patients in the worst conditions struggling to breathe,
Unless you can explain how you've come to that 1% conclusion, you're talking bollocks as usual!
TraderFred

I think it’s great that Alex has found an ally in long term serial loser, and probably the worst trader to ever grace this forum, Jeff.

I know it’s only a small sample, though there does seem to be a correlation between scepticism/ verging on conspiracy and being a losing trader too.

I suppose they are used to blaming dark forces for their own shortcomings, be it market manipulation, inside information, betfair controlling their own markets, fake news, government conspiracies.

Though they continue to do it, with such authority and conviction. With the same authority and conviction they give trading related analogies too. Anyone reading from the outside would be forgiven for thinking they actually know what they are talking about !
TraderFred

And if you think people are being overly concerned about something that has a 99% chance of survival, next horse that goes off at 100 +, lay it for everything you are worth, and see how you feel about the risk then.
sionascaig

SweetLyrics wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:09 pm
All I am saying is that there is such a thing as an acceptable risk. You can't insulate yourself from risk without taking such extreme measures that, ironically, there is a danger of even creating even greater risk.

Some people say, for example, that lives are more important than the economy. However, that argument breaks down when you consider that you need a healthy economy for the NHS to buy drugs. To put it crudely, if the economy ends up fucked because the government has shut down just about every business out there, then the NHS will be fucked too, and people will die.

Jeff
Taiwan has something like 8 deaths and no lockdown - they have a test, track, trace & supported isolation system that works (and that is with twice the population density of the uk)..

==> the "risk" appears to have been largely avoidable and has been created by the morons currently in charge of government

Hindsight is a great thing, but NZ managed to change their approach & are reaping the benefits now.

So yes there is an "acceptable risk" but its a lot lower than the rate we are experiencing by self inflicted own goals.
Euler

I think it would be a fun experiment to create a time machine and dump social media into the second world war. I can imagine the debates now.

People arguing that German unification of Europe is a good thing as it would bring many benefits against a fragmented and outdated system. How the government is allowing people to starve with rationing while spending a fortune on building it's military might. How excess deaths in Europe were really just the impact of a particularly bad winter, after all, attempts by Germany to reunify Russia failed because of the bad weather.

Ultimately we will only the correct path through the pandemic when it's over. Till then it's just a judgement on probabilities and there are likely to be errors. Life is best understood backwards, but you have to live it forwards.
alexmr2

TraderFred wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:32 am
I think it’s great that Alex has found an ally in long term serial loser, and probably the worst trader to ever grace this forum, Jeff.

I know it’s only a small sample, though there does seem to be a correlation between scepticism/ verging on conspiracy and being a losing trader too.

I suppose they are used to blaming dark forces for their own shortcomings, be it market manipulation, inside information, betfair controlling their own markets, fake news, government conspiracies.

Though they continue to do it, with such authority and conviction. With the same authority and conviction they give trading related analogies too. Anyone reading from the outside would be forgiven for thinking they actually know what they are talking about !
I'm a winning trader as of 7pm on the 18th of December, all £8.18 of profit proves it :)
pl.png

It wouldn't be hard to find a correlation between losing traders and anything given that only 0.5% of people actually win a decent enough amount to pay PC.

It's not conspiracy theories, it's just critical thinking by questioning the logic and statistics as opposed to taking the word of the Government as 100% true when it's obvious that something is off. I think it's the greatest availability cascade of all time.

The fact that such emotionally charged people can trade properly gives me some hope that I can eventually overcome the occasional emotional obstacles preventing me from becoming long term profitable :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TraderFred

Well done on the trading alexmr2, glad you’ve turned a corner, keep up the good work.

I was only joking with the correlation stuff. Truth is, as Euler said above, nobody knows. I just don’t like how you see people speaking with so much conviction on a subject that nobody can be an expert in.

Also, I seem to have upset sweetlyrics. I was only joking about him too, no offence intended. I just read on this thread or another one that he wasn’t very good at trading.

I guess you shouldn’t believe everything you read on the internet. I am guilty of not fact checking before I reposted what I had read. It was a conspiracy/fake news. Sweetlyrics is actually a very knowledgeable trader, and you could probably learn a lot from him, Alexmr2.
ANGELS15

Forgive me if somewhere among the 3000+ posts this point has already been made:

In the media coverage there is a distinct lack of balance and proportion in the way this pandemic is being reported. There is indeed a virus and it will be deadly to a small minority. The vast majority of people if they were to get it would either not even know they had it, or suffer mild symptoms no worse than a common cough or cold. The way the media report it, if you get covid you'll be rushed off to hospital and be hooked up to ventilator.

Unfortunately viruses pick on the weakest people to do their worst and it will be fatal for those with serious underlying health conditions and the elderly. At least these people are easy to identify and will get priority for vaccination.

There is one worrying aspect to this. I looked up the stats for UK cancer deaths. Apparently there are normally around 450 cancer deaths per day along with 1000 daily new diagnoses. Even flu can kill tens of 1000s annually. We don't really hear about that anymore and if people are not able to be seen one wonders what the death figures will be in the future, even the not too distant future.
Derek27

alexmr2 wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:54 am
It's not conspiracy theories, it's just critical thinking by questioning the logic and statistics as opposed to taking the word of the Government as 100% true when it's obvious that something is off. I think it's the greatest availability cascade of all time.
Are you a robot Alex? You seem to think everybody agrees with the government 100% of the time or 0% of the time. Human beings have brains and can think and apply logic to every situation.
alexmr2 wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:54 am
The fact that such emotionally charged people can trade properly gives me some hope that I can eventually overcome the occasional emotional obstacles preventing me from becoming long term profitable :lol:
It might not be a good idea to trade if you're extremely angry or upset, but generally, traders put their emotions aside when trading.
Derek27

ANGELS15 wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:36 am
In the media coverage there is a distinct lack of balance and proportion in the way this pandemic is being reported. There is indeed a virus and it will be deadly to a small minority. The vast majority of people if they were to get it would either not even know they had it, or suffer mild symptoms no worse than a common cough or cold. The way the media report it, if you get covid you'll be rushed off to hospital and be hooked up to ventilator.
That's not the impression I get from the media. They've always been clear that it mainly affects the elderly and people with health problems and that most people will recover from it quickly. The reason they have to be so forceful with their messages is that when 1000 people a day are dying unnecessarily, it's sad to say but many people don't care - it's just a number! As long as it's not them and they know of no one who's died they'll keep going out, spread the virus and kill more people without knowing/believing it.

Return to “General discussion”