US Presidential Election 2020

Betfair trading & Punting on politics. Be aware there is a lot of off topic discussion in this group centred on Political views.
Archery1969

jamesg46 wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:58 pm
I noticed some article yesterday that was saying Pelosi was calling for them to not have ammunition over fears that a guard with a loyalty to Trump could be planning on taking Biden out, along with the story posted above.

Videos circulating YouTube today of armed protesters going to their State Capitols. Its quite surreal to see a group of people walking down the street with machine guns strapped to them.

https://youtu.be/REUkovUlQg4
Yeah but what would be the point in having soldiers with guns but no bullets. Unless their going to hit the protesters of the head with them. Plus if that news got leaked out then it would be a free for all.

I was in Texas once looking through a shop window, turned around and there was a guy wearing a cowboy hat with a six shooter straped to his waist openly on show. Thought for one minute I was in a sergio leone film.
Derek27

Archery1969 wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:50 pm
FBI now having to run background checks on every National Guard soldier to makesure they havent been infiltrated.
If they have I think he'll be outnumbered. ;)
jamesg46

Archery1969 wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:32 pm
jamesg46 wrote:
I noticed some article yesterday that was saying Pelosi was calling for them to not have ammunition over fears that a guard with a loyalty to Trump could be planning on taking Biden out, along with the story posted above.

Videos circulating YouTube today of armed protesters going to their State Capitols. Its quite surreal to see a group of people walking down the street with machine guns strapped to them.

Yeah but what would be the point in having soldiers with guns but no bullets. Unless their going to hit the protesters of the head with them. Plus if that news got leaked out then it would be a free for all.

I was in Texas once looking through a shop window, turned around and there was a guy wearing a cowboy hat with a six shooter straped to his waist openly on show. Thought for one minute I was in a sergio leone film.
:lol: I'd probably of let loose in my pants.

No idea why (if true) why Pelosi would ask for that other than there being some intelligence from one of the agencies. I think there is checkpoint zones so maybe armed guards there but other than his secret service staff maybe its not so necessary to have armed soldiers close up.
Derek27

jamesg46 wrote:

The Beast is bombproof, he should be behind bulletproof glass, a soldier out in the open can't easily point his rifle without being seen a mile away.
jamesg46

Derek27 wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:45 pm
jamesg46 wrote:

The Beast is bombproof, he should be behind bulletproof glass, a soldier out in the open can't easily point his rifle without being seen a mile away.
True, so why the call to check the guards political history? Might have something to do with them memory of some of those Capitol officers letting rioters past the gates. Who knows, lets just hope it passes without any serious incidents.
Derek27

jamesg46 wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:56 pm
Derek27 wrote:
jamesg46 wrote:

True, so why the call to check the guards political history? Might have something to do with them memory of some of those Capitol officers letting rioters past the gates. Who knows, lets just hope it passes without any serious incidents.
I've forgotten how many thousand soldiers they've deployed but I don't think there's any realistic chance of them all being vetted in less than 48 hours. Roughly half of them will have voted for Trump anyway!
Archery1969

Derek27 wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:55 pm
jamesg46 wrote:
Derek27 wrote:

I've forgotten how many thousand soldiers they've deployed but I don't think there's any realistic chance of them all being vetted in less than 48 hours. Roughly half of them will have voted for Trump anyway!
I think the worry is that the ‘Oath Keepers’ far right group boast that they have thousands of members who are current or former members of law enforcement and the military. The National Guard vetting is a bit lax anyway so that will add to the worry I guess.

But Biden will have the secret service plus hand picked members of the navy seals and delta force protecting him.

So, I don’t think he will be too worried.
Derek27

Archery1969 wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:06 pm
Derek27 wrote:
jamesg46 wrote:

I think the worry is that the ‘Oath Keepers’ far right group boast that they have thousands of members who are current or former members of law enforcement and the military. The National Guard vetting is a bit lax anyway so that will add to the worry I guess.

But Biden will have the secret service plus hand picked members of the navy seals and delta force protecting him.

He's a bit old to get roughly bundled into a car. ;)
Archery1969

Derek27 wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:44 pm
Archery1969 wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:06 pm
Derek27 wrote:

He's a bit old to get roughly bundled into a car. ;)
They just have to hope there isn’t a nutter marksman with a .50 Rifle at 2,000 yards who fancies a shot...
Derek27

Trump expected to grant around 100 pardons!
Trader Pat

Derek27 wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:22 pm
$$$$$$$$$$$

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/u ... -1.4461112
Archery1969

Derek27 wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:22 pm
Julian Assange ? :roll:
Derek27

If his impeachment trial results in a conviction do his pardons become void? ;)
jamesg46

This news about pardons has been circulating for at least a month, it's not something new that Presidents save their own ass on their way out. Check out some of Obama's final executive orders. Or just dig into the final moments of most Prssidents, they're all self righteous pieces of...
Archery1969

Derek27 wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:42 pm
If his impeachment trial results in a conviction do his pardons become void? ;)
From what I have read then no they dont. But they might if the pardon(s) were for him or members of his family.

Also, a president (good or bad) can pardon someone for past crimes and its accepted by both sides of the house and at supreme court level that its legal and must be upheld.

However, its not clear if a president can pardon someone for future crimes. During the somalia conflict (Battle of Mogadishu) its rummered that Clinton did pardon Delta Special Forces for furture crimes as deciding who the good or bad guys were would be impossible.

Return to “Political betting & arguing”