US Presidential Election 2020

Betfair trading & Punting on politics. Be aware there is a lot of off topic discussion in this group centred on Political views.
greenmark

Just watching this on bbc's iplayer.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p ... ownfall%5D

Warning to Trump or Farage supporters - it's unpleasant stuff.

But what I've just seen has stunned me.

About 37:30 in. Anthony Scaramucci describes Trump as "a son of a bitch", "a cunning sociapath, he's nuts".

Good grief!
Archery1969

greenmark wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:35 pm

About 37:30 in. Anthony Scaramucci describes Trump as "a son of a bitch", "a cunning sociapath, he's nuts".

Good grief!
No surprise really as no love lost between those 3.
greenmark

Archery1969 wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:40 pm
greenmark wrote:

Good grief!
True. You're not going to be the biggest fan of someone that sacked you.
Maybe it's Trump's marmite persona that raises these opinions from former colleagues up in the media (particularly in the BBC, perhaps). But I don't remember that level of invective directed at former President.
Archery1969

greenmark wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:11 pm
Archery1969 wrote:
greenmark wrote:

Good grief!
Maybe it's Trump's marmite persona that raises these opinions from former colleagues up in the media (particularly in the BBC, perhaps). But I don't remember that level of invective directed at former President.
He was slagging off Trump on Newsnight in October saying he was unhinged. Wonder if he will be called as a witness during the impeachment hearing.
greenmark

Archery1969 wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:26 pm
greenmark wrote:
Archery1969 wrote:

He was slagging off Trump on Newsnight in October saying he was unhinged. Wonder if he will be called as a witness during the impeachment hearing.
For me the only other noteable moment from that video is Mike Pence's stoney faced response to Trump beginning his election result denial.
I guess the power of democracy is still alive and kicking. Pence thinks 'this guy is a nutter but i have to go along with it as far as i can because he commands a big following'. And then he stuck ridgedly to the constitution when refusing to nullify Biden's victory. So long as it remains democratic/political we're all ok. Violence pulls us all doown into anarchy.
Archery1969

greenmark wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:54 pm
Archery1969 wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:26 pm
greenmark wrote:

For me the only other noteable moment from that video is Mike Pence's stoney faced response to Trump beginning his election result denial.
I guess the power of democracy is still alive and kicking. Pence thinks 'this guy is a nutter but i have to go along with it as far as i can because he commands a big following'. And then he stuck ridgedly to the constitution when refusing to nullify Biden's victory. So long as it remains democratic/political we're all ok. Violence pulls us all doown into anarchy.
I think when/if Trump is found guilty of impeachment that the violence will start. Although proving he insighted a riot will be difficult to prove due to US freedom of speech laws. Instructing a crowd to "March on Capitol Hill" is not the same as "March on Capitol Hill and forcibly enter the building".

Also, on one hand Biden says its time to put this behind us, come together and move forward. But is that really true if they are going after Trump and going to send those rioters to prison for 20 years. That doesnt really sound like moving forward. What are the oath keepers and other militia groups going todo when a number of their members are thrown under a bus. I doubt they are going to say ok then.

Not saying people shouldn't be punished but its a difficult situation. Its not like over here or other countries where you march, demonstrate and maybe chuck a few bottles/bricks at the Police if your that way inclined etc. As we all know, over there its more likely to be bullets and bombs.
Derek27

Archery1969 wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:15 pm
Also, on one hand Biden says its time to put this behind us, come together and move forward. But is that really true if they are going after Trump and going to send those rioters to prison for 20 years. That doesnt really sound like moving forward. What are the oath keepers and other militia groups going todo when a number of their members are thrown under a bus. I doubt they are going to say ok then.

Not saying people shouldn't be punished but its a difficult situation. Its not like over here or other countries where you march, demonstrate and maybe chuck a few bottles/bricks at the Police if your that way inclined etc. As we all know, over there its more likely to be bullets and bombs.
Many Republicans think it's contradictory for Biden to want to put the hostilities behind them yet pursue impeachment against Trump. But it's not as if Democrats and Republicans are fighting each other like the IRA and Loyalists, at least not yet. ;) They're only pursuing legal avenues and asking for peace without letting that sad excuse for a human being get away with his crimes. Personally, I think he's responsible for five deaths and attempting to rig the election and deserves to be banged up. :D
Naffman

'No' the senate will not convict Trump now into sub 1.2, on evidence there is no chance he gets convicted, but I'm sure some Republican senators would love to have the last laugh, especially those few GOP senators from heavily Democratic states.

Anyone got any info on this?
Trader Pat

Impeachment is no longer black and white along party lines, plenty of Republican politicians want him gone from their party for good but they're calculating how it could hurt them going forward with the voters if they impeach Trump.

I don't agree that there'll be riots on the street if he he's impeached. There's plenty of anecdotal evidence out there since the inauguration that some Trump supporters are feeling conned. These people actually believed that something would happen at the last second to prevent Biden from putting his hand on his massive family bible. Maybe they thought Pence's only reason for showing up was to shove Biden down the steps before he could be sworn in!

If he gets impeached so be it but personally I don't think he'd get the votes even if he was able to run again in 2024. I think failure at the ballot box in 4 years is a better way to exorcise Trump from American politics than impeaching him.
Derek27

Naffman wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:26 pm
'No' the senate will not convict Trump now into sub 1.2, on evidence there is no chance he gets convicted, but I'm sure some Republican senators would love to have the last laugh, especially those few GOP senators from heavily Democratic states.
I don't really know much about how the Senate works, the market speaks for itself. But I would have thought now that Trump's gone, coupled with the fact that there were some very frightened congresspeople from both sides, more Republican senators would be willing to stab him in the back. Can only hope. :)
Capture.PNG
Capture2.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Archery1969

Just thinking out loud as I have no legal experience. :D

When the rioters go to court could they not argue that "My president and commander in chief at the time told me to march on Capitol Hill" therefore I am not guilty ? :)
Naffman

I've just read you need 67 votes in the senate to convict so I can see why the price is so low - he got 48 guilty verdicts in the 1st impeachement.
Derek27

Trader Pat wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:34 pm
If he gets impeached so be it but personally I don't think he'd get the votes even if he was able to run again in 2024. I think failure at the ballot box in 4 years is a better way to exorcise Trump from American politics than impeaching him.
Trump could well win by a landslide in 4 years time, because Americans are bonkers!
Naffman

Derek27 wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:42 pm
Trader Pat wrote:
Trump could well win by a landslide in 4 years time, because Americans are bonkers!
I don't think so, we saw how strong the anti-Trump vote was and we saw a reflection of Trump's antics in the Georgia run offs the other week.
Trader Pat

Derek27 wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:42 pm
Trader Pat wrote:
True! :)

I think the Republican party would be much better prepared for him in 2024, they didn't take him seriously last time until it was too late. Anyway if KFC doesn't catch up with him before then
I think the courts will. Criminal or civil he'll be paying one way or another.

Return to “Political betting & arguing”