Scalping Suddenly a Boxing Match

We were all new to Bet Angel once. Ask any question you like here and fellow forum members promise not to laugh. Betfair trading made simple.
Thrungus

Hi all.

Wanted to ask for some advice - as over the past 48 hours I've found that scalping any market has become like a boxing match.

What's more annoying is that prior to this, I was happily scalping markets and leaving with a profit and with a smile on my face. However these past few days it's like everytime I get a price matched, it shoots in the complete opposite direction / doesn't quite return to where I want it to be.

- I know that I could have been profitable thanks to random results, which hurts to think that was the case as I really thought I was getting somewhere!

I'm not just diving in, looking at charts and seeing a confident plunge on . . . and then as soon as I enter the market, it's like word gets out! My £10 stake is the new bogeyman.

What would people suggest as where to reset to after you've pulled your hair out / feel like everything's against you?

Thanks in advance
Realrocknrolla

Well as a boxing man. I can tell you that every opponent is different. 🥊

Other than that I can only advise on letting the trade breathe as someone told me once and it helped massively. The more experienced traders will tell you the same.

Wish you the best of luck though.
Thrungus

Realrocknrolla wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:07 pm

Other than that I can only advise on letting the trade breathe as someone told me once and it helped massively. The more experienced traders will tell you the same.

Much appreciated.

Typically I just add a position to the market and wait. But as of late it's like there's a sudden spring - everything drifts all of a sudden. :-(
Derek27

I noticed scalping was getting much harder several years ago. It's all about picking the right markets that are generally more stable but they're getting harder to find these days.
Headless Chuck

Thrungus wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:11 pm
Realrocknrolla wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:07 pm

Much appreciated.

Typically I just add a position to the market and wait. But as of late it's like there's a sudden spring - everything drifts all of a sudden. :-(
I don't think I've ever traded anything that didn't instantly move at least one tick in the wrong direction.
rik

If you compare now with 10 years ago definitely scalping used to be easier
compared to recently i doubt there has been a general change its probably less suited markets you selected combined with a bad phase for you, at least the horse racing i didint notice anything different today
sometimes just have the days when nothings going right thats normal
Thrungus

Is it worth me going down the route of 'offset bet with greening'? I recall there being a helpful video for that, but I can't find it at the moment.

Have started using the Make Market option on the one-click screen with some success.

But then again, could entirely be random and I could just be getting smashed about.
Derek27

Personally, I find offset bets convenient if you have a lot going on in the market but manually placing offsets and greening gives you more control and you can sometimes get an extra tick or two.
Thrungus

It appears to have calm down this week - less hair loss.

I'd be keen to see some guides on how to dutch the frequent greyhound markets (they're very all over the gaff) and even the US racing.

When there are considerable gaps in the market, can you fill these and profit from them?
Archery1969

Thrungus wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:20 pm

I'd be keen to see some guides on how to dutch the frequent greyhound markets (they're very all over the gaff) and even the US racing.

When there are considerable gaps in the market, can you fill these and profit from them?
On gappy markets you can employ leapfrogging type trades. But you still need to have an idea on which dogs are likely to shorten or drift. You don’t need to be right all of the time due to the size of some of the gaps etc.
Swamidee

Thrungus wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:20 pm

In my experience (which is not always something to go by) Gap filling isn't necessarily that straight forward. There are plenty of gaps for sure as the markets develop, but even with really sounds Mut knowledge, prices don't often move as expected a lot of the time. That and the fact the markets seem to be bot-drenched makes it rather more tricky than you might think. But if you can crack Greyhound..hey ho!! happy days. :D

Return to “Bet Angel for newbies / Getting started”