Tiger Woods

Morbius

Euler wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:52 am
Aged 45, this surely has to be career ending? Let's hope it's not going to impact the rest of his life too much.

I've actually driven along that section of road, so not sure how you could have such a serious accident there. Guess we will find out in time.

I think we can make some pretty accurate assumptions given his history and the fact that cars don't flip by themselves. The county sheriff saying his car was travelling at a relatively greater speed than normal pretty much sums it up
greenmark

Morbius wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:38 am
Euler wrote:
Aged 45, this surely has to be career ending? Let's hope it's not going to impact the rest of his life too much.

I've actually driven along that section of road, so not sure how you could have such a serious accident there. Guess we will find out in time.

I think we can make some pretty accurate assumptions given his history and the fact that cars don't flip by themselves. The county sheriff saying his car was travelling at a relatively greater speed than normal pretty much sums it up
The police have said crashes in that area aren't unusual. What puzzles me is Tiger is, presumably, highly co-ordinated. But perhaps there is a gap between poise over a golf ball and a sudden, unexpected realization that you're in charge of a vehicle going too fast for the situation. If you saw the drone view of the track of him leaving his own double carriageway to coming to rest off the opposite carriageway, he must have been motoring.
In any case, he will always be held in high esteem by sports fans.
Only positive I can put in re: his injuries is a friend suffering a greenstick fracture and the subsequent x-rays for the injury/repairs/scaffolding looking horrendous. He plays tennis and runs regularly and feels no repercussions.
Maybe elite golf is now beyond Tiger, but hell, I think he's done alright.
Morbius

greenmark wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:49 pm
Morbius wrote:
Euler wrote:

The police have said crashes in that area aren't unusual. What puzzles me is Tiger is, presumably, highly co-ordinated. But perhaps there is a gap between poise over a golf ball and a sudden, unexpected realization that you're in charge of a vehicle going too fast for the situation. If you saw the drone view of the track of him leaving his own double carriageway to coming to rest off the opposite carriageway, he must have been motoring.
Only positive I can put in re: his injuries is a friend suffering a greenstick fracture and the subsequent x-rays for the injury/repairs/scaffolding looking horrendous. He plays tennis and runs regularly and feels no repercussions.

Many moons ago I worked for an insurance company and did quite a bit of theory on the root causes of car accidents and the implications of that on risk and premiums. When police say that crashes aren't unusual then it doesn't mean that the driver is innocent, in fact far from it. Certain types of roads just tempt drivers of a certain disposition into doing certain things. Then it is the compounding effect of tiny events that often cause fatal car accidents not too unlike the causes of plane crashes, its usually several reasons combined but the main factor with driving is that excess speed reduces the ability to react correctly or at all in situations where a slower speed would have avoided the problem. Then a lack of driver ability or the inability of the car to handle a certain type of manoeuvre just compounds the problem. In a large number of cases, it is driver error/fault plain and simple or in many cases, driver stupidity
Derek27

greenmark wrote:
What puzzles me is Tiger is, presumably, highly co-ordinated.
Not when he's had a drink he ain't. ;)
The Silk Run

Derek27 wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:22 pm
greenmark wrote:
What puzzles me is Tiger is, presumably, highly co-ordinated.
Not when he's had a drink he ain't. ;)
Red line Dex. Peter will unsubscribe you :shock:
greenmark

Morbius wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:07 pm
greenmark wrote:
Morbius wrote:

Many moons ago I worked for an insurance company and did quite a bit of theory on the root causes of car accidents and the implications of that on risk and premiums. When police say that crashes aren't unusual then it doesn't mean that the driver is innocent, in fact far from it. Certain types of roads just tempt drivers of a certain disposition into doing certain things. Then it is the compounding effect of tiny events that often cause fatal car accidents not too unlike the causes of plane crashes, its usually several reasons combined but the main factor with driving is that excess speed reduces the ability to react correctly or at all in situations where a slower speed would have avoided the problem. Then a lack of driver ability or the inability of the car to handle a certain type of manoeuvre just compounds the problem. In a large number of cases, it is driver error/fault plain and simple or in many cases, driver stupidity
I remember the days when a crash helmet wasn't compulsory. I have to own up to the odd occasion after that imposition that i didn't use one. TBH it felt like freedom, but also a bit of a bungee jump. Certainly, riding without a crash-hat changed my perception of danger, like "let's be conservative here". It's kind of weird, the more we try to protect people, the more risk we take.
Morbius

The Silk Run wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:44 pm
Dex. Your mad :P
Edit: And, your going to upset Peter, I think he's a FAN.

How anyone can defend this guy staggers me given his history. This is nothing short of cognitive bias simply because he is a 15 time major winner. If his actions had been the actions of a journeyman pro then nobody would have defended him. His ex-wife had had enough of him after numerous infidelities that most of which he owned up for but only the ones he couldn't get away with. All done with a wife and little kids at home. He's been in several car accidents and stopped by police while under the influence of drugs and so bad he couldn't even walk in a straight line when asked to and these are just the things we know about. His personality stinks. People keeping "hoping this" and "hoping that" for Tiger Woods but the only thing I hope for is that he doesn't cost the life of some young innocent mother with two kids in the back...assuming of course that he wasn't in the car with her after yet another infidelity behind his current partners back.
Crazyskier

Morbius wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:11 am
The Silk Run wrote:

How anyone can defend this guy staggers me given his history. This is nothing short of cognitive bias simply because he is a 15 time major winner. If his actions had been the actions of a journeyman pro then nobody would have defended him. His ex-wife had had enough of him after numerous infidelities that most of which he owned up for but only the ones he couldn't get away with. All done with a wife and little kids at home. He's been in several car accidents and stopped by police while under the influence of drugs and so bad he couldn't even walk in a straight line when asked to and these are just the things we know about. His personality stinks. People keeping "hoping this" and "hoping that" for Tiger Woods but the only thing I hope for is that he doesn't cost the life of some young innocent mother with two kids in the back...assuming of course that he wasn't in the car with her after yet another infidelity behind his current partners back.
I must say I agree. I'm a huge fan of his undoubted talent on-course, but that in no way excuses the deplorable acts and betrayals he has made as a human being.

CS
Derek27

Crazyskier wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:03 pm
I must say I agree. I'm a huge fan of his undoubted talent on-course, but that in no way excuses the deplorable acts and betrayals he has made as a human being.

CS
What's he done wrong? He only shags women. :lol:
greenmark

Crazyskier wrote:
Morbius wrote:
The Silk Run wrote:

CS
As I've said before. Everyone has the right to redemption. What is perplexing is how a sober elite athlete could lose it (on what Euler says is a manageable road). Maybe something as simple as being in an unfamiliar vehicle and being momentarily distracted by the baffling tech.
I've certainly been there as I only drive hire cars, and only periodically. Its getting increasingly challenging to master the tech before setting off.
Feels like an exam. So, usually I just sort out the trip, music, ac/heating.
God knows what features I'm missing out on.
superfrank

According to the Telegraph, "he was heading north-east along Hawthorne Boulevard, a stretch of road known to be treacherous and regularly taken at speed".

Maybe he answered his phone, swerved to miss an animal or overcorrected when driving too fast in an unfamiliar vehicle. Who knows, but whatever it was I'm sure he very much regrets it.
JTEDL

So it was just an accident? Surely they've got to put this down to some reason.

a)driving too fast?
b)drunk or high on drugs? (been ruled out already but....)
c)on his phone?
d)checking out the young lady in yoga pants and crop top on her morning jog across the road?

Derek27 wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:21 pm

What's he done wrong? He only shags women. :lol:
Bet Ryan Giggs says that one too :lol: (although he in a bit of trouble about something else at the moment!)
Derek27

superfrank wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:34 pm
Maybe he answered his phone, swerved to miss an animal or overcorrected when driving too fast in an unfamiliar vehicle. Who knows, but whatever it was I'm sure he very much regrets it.
My money's on a goat. ;)
greenmark

Derek27 wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:19 pm
superfrank wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:34 pm
My money's on a goat. ;)
Have often wondered who is the goat of goats.
Morbius

greenmark wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:25 pm
Crazyskier wrote:
Morbius wrote:

CS
As I've said before. Everyone has the right to redemption. What is perplexing is how a sober elite athlete could lose it (on what Euler says is a manageable road). Maybe something as simple as being in an unfamiliar vehicle and being momentarily distracted by the baffling tech.
I've certainly been there as I only drive hire cars, and only periodically. Its getting increasingly challenging to master the tech before setting off.
Feels like an exam. So, usually I just sort out the trip, music, ac/heating.
God knows what features I'm missing out on.

Everyone most certainly do not have the right to redemption. There's a dividing line, there's always a dividing line. That's like saying Nazi war criminals should be entitled to redemption. Clearly that is an extreme but the point is where is the line in the sand when in some cases no actual laws are broken? The bottom line is this, any father with a daughter would not want this man as his son-in-law and if they did then their reasons would be purely for the lifestyle and nothing else which also says an awful lot about him. Asking for redemption is fine, we are all born human and nobody is perfect but when you have to ask for redemption every verse end because of the frequency of transgressions then it becomes a joke. This is not about a human being making a mistake. This is an inner look at his personality.

You can make comments about "whats he done wrong he's only shagged women" but that ceases to become funny when its your daughter and grand kids lives he's affecting by his actions. Look, maybe there were circumstances in this particular incident that meant he wasn't to blame fully but saying he was in a car that he wasn't familiar with is not one of them. All cars have a break pedal and a speedometer and its not rocket science to apply it irrespective of the model. It always gets me how this man and Jack Nicklaus can even be mentioned in the same sentence. The only time this should ever happen is for golf achievements but that's where it ends. My opinion of Tiger Woods wasn't affected by this incident, it was cemented long ago and once again it staggers me how anyone could ever defend this man.

Return to “Trading Golf”