Credibility

A place to discuss anything.
alexmr2

megarain wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:58 pm
having halos over their forum name or something similar.
Betfair could integrate users' lifetime P&Ls from the API with the forum so that members with multiple 7 figure P&Ls could have different coloured umbrellas above their names.

Those on PC1 get a cowboy hat, those on PC2 get a Mexican sombrero and newbies get a dunce hat. Each object shows how much protection is needed depending on how many notes they are making it rain and then newbies could easily identify which advice is genuine
Derek27

alexmr2 wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:00 am
Each object shows how much protection is needed depending on how many notes they are making it rain and then newbies could easily identify which advice is genuine
Genuine is the wrong word. Just because somebody isn't a PC payer, isn't profitable and doesn't have an edge doesn't mean advice is ungenuine or uncredible.

NigelK, for example, could be a crap trader (not suggesting he is) but he's an Excel wizard and helped me out, as has a few other members. The same applies to questions regarding using BA, specific questions about sports, etc.
alexmr2

Derek27 wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:32 am
alexmr2 wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:00 am
Each object shows how much protection is needed depending on how many notes they are making it rain and then newbies could easily identify which advice is genuine
Genuine is the wrong word. Just because somebody isn't a PC payer, isn't profitable and doesn't have an edge doesn't mean advice is ungenuine or uncredible.

NigelK, for example, could be a crap trader (not suggesting he is) but he's an Excel wizard and helped me out, as has a few other members. The same applies to questions regarding using BA, specific questions about sports, etc.
I'm glad you brought that up, that's where the wizard hat comes in. If you can get the blue umbrella AND green (for Excel) wizard hat above your username then your advice is double trustworthy.

The only problem would be if a Russian short-legged omnivore hacker managed to get onto a double-trustworthy account and start making posts about laying Man City at odds of 1000 by bypassing the best price. If that happened a newbie could be fooled into losing thousands of pounds because the guru told them it was a good idea
tumby

I understand why there is a desire to provide some kind of stamp of credibility on the various posters to assist in filtering through the noise. I think its missing the reality of the forum, at least from my perspective.

There is a lot of great technical advice freely given on how to implement your chosen strategy, the posters that help may be not be profitable but it doesn't affect the quality of their advice.

The information I have benefited from the most is hearing about peoples mistakes, avenues that have been explored and failed. Not because these are dead ends necessarily but because the greatest lessons are learnt in failure (from my personal experience anyway). I don't think a badge of credibility is that relevant here.

So from my perspective leaves things as they are.
Crazyskier

Derek27 wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:42 pm
megarain wrote:
I don't think anyone would have a problem with Dallas and other BA support staff having halos over their forum name or something similar.
Reverend CS should get the halo. ;)
Just a +1 or -1 to individual posts (and the ability to sort by this method) should give enough guidance as to 'credibility' I should think? It works wonderfully on the Daily Mail. 😁

CS
Derek27

Crazyskier wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:10 am
Derek27 wrote:
megarain wrote:
I don't think anyone would have a problem with Dallas and other BA support staff having halos over their forum name or something similar.
Just a +1 or -1 to individual posts (and the ability to sort by this method) should give enough guidance as to 'credibility' I should think? It works wonderfully on the Daily Mail. 😁

CS
Sorting posts according to rankings/ratings is all well and good on a forum with advice in self-contained posts. The problem here is that there is a lot of discussion so sorting posts would randomise the order and lose the meaning/context of the discussion.
Kai

I have a cunning plan...

I propose a closed Super Forum where 12 biggest posters debate each other and receive guaranteed credit while the rest can only read and not post for a small subscription fee, but there will be 5 slots open for anyone else to get in based off postcount alone.

All those in favor post your favorite emoji 👍
Crazyskier

Derek27 wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:51 pm
Crazyskier wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:10 am
Derek27 wrote:

CS
Sorting posts according to rankings/ratings is all well and good on a forum with advice in self-contained posts. The problem here is that there is a lot of discussion so sorting posts would randomise the order and lose the meaning/context of the discussion.
Valid point. Perhaps then, an icon for visibility, dependent upon the number of likes?

CS
wearthefoxhat

Kai wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:20 pm
I have a cunning plan...

I propose a closed Super Forum where 12 biggest posters debate each other and receive guaranteed credit while the rest can only read and not post for a small subscription fee, but there will be 5 slots open for anyone else to get in based off postcount alone.

what.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jamesg46

Kai wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:20 pm
I have a cunning plan...

;)
Trader724

I propose a closed MEGAFORUM with €1,000,000 subscription fee, to show credibility.
Kai

On a completely unrelated note this might be a good a place as any to place a random advert.

Looking for someone skilled at Microsoft Paint and Photoshops 👍
alexmr2

Kai wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:48 pm
On a completely unrelated note this might be a good a place as any to place a random advert.

What for? I can do both Photoshop realistic or meme quality Paint :lol:
Kai

alexmr2 wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:59 pm
Kai wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:48 pm

What for? I can do both Photoshop realistic or meme quality Paint :lol:
Sorry, thought it was clear. Easy job, just to add a few zeros here and there!

But very impressive Alex, you already have the skillset of a profitable trader 👍
alexmr2

Kai wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:13 pm
But very impressive Alex, you already have the skillset of a profitable trader 👍
received_144272424314970.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “General discussion”