RANT CORNER

A place to discuss anything.
Derek27

firlandsfarm wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:56 am
Remembering some of the convos here re filling in mortgage forms etc how did you present your loss of earnings re jury service and did they question it?
In order for a self-employed juror to claim for loss of earnings you have to be registered for tax with HMRC and provide tax returns to confirm your earnings. As far as I can see you have two other options. Apply to be excused on financial grounds and explain your predicament or kiss goodbye to two weeks earnings. :lol:

On the plus side, as well as travel expences you get £5.71 a day for subsistence, more commonly known as food. If you don't have time to make breakfast you can get a sausage bap from the canteen (which consists of a single sausage cut in half in a roll) and a large cup of coffee-coloured hot water for £3.99. That leaves you £1.72 to spend on lunch. :)

I'm still glad I've been summoned though.
greenmark

Bee's I will catch with a glass and card, then release. Bee's are great. Wasps. Meh!!. I will still catch and release but with less enthusiasm.
Flies are a different thing. If they ignore an opportunity to exit through an open window/door (by me wafting them towards freedom), I get fed up quickly and it turns into a horror show of appalling flailing of publications and shameless violence, for which I apologise to the fly population.
Apparently there are 17 million flies per person. And we think we're the dominant species! :-)
Derek27

greenmark wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:20 pm
Bee's I will catch with a glass and card, then release. Bee's are great. Wasps. Meh!!. I will still catch and release but with less enthusiasm.
Flies are a different thing. If they ignore an opportunity to exit through an open window/door (by me wafting them towards freedom), I get fed up quickly and it turns into a horror show of appalling flailing of publications and shameless violence, for which I apologise to the fly population.
Apparently there are 17 million flies per person. And we think we're the dominant species! :-)
Not surprising with so many idiots not only wasting good food but dumping it on the streets.
greenmark

Derek27 wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:26 pm
greenmark wrote:
Not surprising with so many idiots not only wasting good food but dumping it on the streets.
Indeed. I remember the 'Keep Britain Tidy' campaign. Why do we need a campaign?
You go to a park with 'stuff', you consume 'stuff' and leave the detritus instead of binning it, or taking it home (or binning it on the way back home or wherever you're going next).
One of my daily walks is along a semi-rural road. You would be surprised how many Mac bags etc are there. They can only have been chucked out the window of a car. It makes me so angry.
Derek27

greenmark wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:37 pm
Derek27 wrote:
greenmark wrote:
You go to a park with 'stuff', you consume 'stuff' and leave the detritus instead of binning it, or taking it home (or binning it on the way back home or wherever you're going next).
One of my daily walks is along a semi-rural road. You would be surprised how many Mac bags etc are there. They can only have been chucked out the window of a car. It makes me so angry.
In all honesty, I'm more ashamed of the litter I dropped as a teenager than the park benches I set on fire, disgraceful behaviour!
greenmark

Derek27 wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:21 pm
greenmark wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:37 pm
Derek27 wrote:

In all honesty, I'm more ashamed of the litter I dropped as a teenager than the park benches I set on fire, disgraceful behaviour!
Lol. Decent people do daft things. 2 of my flat mates decided, on the way back from an enjoyably drunken evening, that it would be a good idea to break into their old school. I declined the offer to join them. Some time later they were arrested in a flurry of sirens, blue lghts and shouting.
But my point is both were really good guys that had a moment of insanity that took on its own momentum.
C'est la vie!
firlandsfarm

Derek27 wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:21 pm
I hope you were careful to check nobody was sleeping on them at the time! :lol:
Jukebox

I don't have a problem with personnel considered essential being told to ignore being pinged by NHS app. But won't that just lead to everyone else getting pinged as they go to work etc.
ged1200

On the plus side, as well as travel expences you get £5.71 a day for subsistence, more commonly known as food. If you don't have time to make breakfast you can get a sausage bap from the canteen (which consists of a single sausage cut in half in a roll) and a large cup of coffee-coloured hot water for £3.99. That leaves you £1.72 to spend on lunch. :)
Greggs: Sausage bap (x3 smallish whole sausages) plus coffee (not great, but better than coffee flavoured hot water): £2.30

Or as above with bacon bap instead of sausages.

Bargain.
Realrocknrolla

Jukebox wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:53 pm
I don't have a problem with personnel considered essential being told to ignore being pinged by NHS app. But won't that just lead to everyone else getting pinged as they go to work etc.
Madness….

I just had to get the app ready for some tests i have to get to go to a festival in a month…

Seems surreal to be honest… checking in to a festival healthy and covid free… but getting off my nut for 3 days and leaving like a zombie
Derek27

Jukebox wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:53 pm
Yes, but it will also result in everybody who gets pinged considering themselves essential. :)
Derek27

ged1200 wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:29 pm
Greggs: Sausage bap (x3 smallish whole sausages) plus coffee (not great, but better than coffee flavoured hot water): £2.30

Or as above with bacon bap instead of sausages.

Bargain.
Thanks, I might try that. I saw a traditional breakfast (sausage, bacon, fried egg, beans and tomato) for £3.35 plus refillable coffee for 99p at a Wetherspoon but didn't have time to stop.
greenmark

5 days after 'freedom day' and I'm confronted with people (albet a minority at present) in Tescos maskless. Worst of all. My Tesco has an escalator, the trolleys are magnetised so you're stuck wherever you get on.
Two maskless idiots, one with no trolley and within 1 metre of the masked lady in front, conducting a loud conversation with someone she knew 3 metres ahead (also not wearing a mask) all the way up the escalator (perhaps 45 seconds).
So they conducted this loud chat with this poor woman inbetween.
She looked at me and slightly shook her head, I got it straight away and just shrugged. The world contains selfish idiots.
jamesg46

greenmark wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:56 pm
5 days after 'freedom day' and I'm confronted with people (albet a minority at present) in Tescos maskless. Worst of all. My Tesco has an escalator, the trolleys are magnetised so you're stuck wherever you get on.
Two maskless idiots, one with no trolley and within 1 metre of the masked lady in front, conducting a loud conversation with someone she knew 3 metres ahead (also not wearing a mask) all the way up the escalator (perhaps 45 seconds).
She looked at me and slightly shook her head, I got it straight away and just shrugged. The world contains selfish idiots.
You do know it's a choice? People can be normal, we don't all want to live life treating each other like walking bio weapons. I couldn't care less if someone wants to wear a mask but people that do, seem to think it's their God given right to look down on those that don't. My advice would to be keep your opinions to yourself and don't confront anyone... not unless you're wearing a gum shield behind that mask. People have just about had it with others forcing their desires and opinions upon them and I feel it's going to get nasty before long.
greenmark

jamesg46 wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:11 pm
greenmark wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:56 pm
You do know it's a choice? People can be normal, we don't all want to live life treating each other like walking bio weapons. I couldn't care less if someone wants to wear a mask but people that do, seem to think it's their God given right to look down on those that don't. My advice would to be keep your opinions to yourself and don't confront anyone... not unless you're wearing a gum shield behind that mask. People have just about had it with others forcing their desires and opinions upon them and I feel it's going to get nasty before long.
According to ONS 70% intend to maintain mask wearing, social distancing.
So these 'rebels' are out of step with their fellow citizens.
The next few weeks will prove the reality, one way or the other.
And I do care whether someone wears a mask or not.
I wear one to protect those around me. It's a minor inconvenience.
I wish you well :-)

Return to “General discussion”