US Presidential Election 2024

Betfair trading & Punting on politics. Be aware there is a lot of off topic discussion in this group centred on Political views.
Archery1969

If information is correct then the CIA and Military gave the best option of doing the withdrawl from Bagram Airbase which is about 1 hour from Kabul. It would have been very easy to take back and hold due to demographics for the area. Pretty obvious really as they held it for 20 years.But some muppert told them to leave in the dead of night and has now caused a disaster elsewhere.

I think this is going to haunt Biden and his administration for years. Afghanisatin will just become a launch pad for global terrorism for decades to come.
Naffman

Archery1969 wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:18 pm
If information is correct then the CIA and Military gave the best option of doing the withdrawl from Bagram Airbase which is about 1 hour from Kabul. It would have been very easy to take back and hold due to demographics for the area. Pretty obvious really as they held it for 20 years.But some muppert told them to leave in the dead of night and has now caused a disaster elsewhere.

I think this is going to haunt Biden and his administration for years. Afghanisatin will just become a launch pad for global terrorism for decades to come.
It will haunt him and if there is a terrorist attack anywhere (especially on US soil) it will come back to him but he's still got 85-90% of democratic support, if he wants a second term he'll be the candidate.
greenmark

Why attack refugees (as has happened at Kabul airport)? They want to leave, so let them and fight with the Taliban for control of Afghanistan.
It wouldn't surprise me if The Taliban ask for military support from US, China, Russia, who knows?
The only plus of the pull out is all these nasty people comme out oof the woodwork and make themselves visible. Like allowing IS to flourish in Iraq and attract nutters from around the world - round 'em up, put 'em in a field and bomb that b******s.
Trader Pat

greenmark wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:05 pm
Why attack refugees (as has happened at Kabul airport)? They want to leave, so let them and fight with the Taliban for control of Afghanistan.
It wouldn't surprise me if The Taliban ask for military support from US, China, Russia, who knows?
The only plus of the pull out is all these nasty people comme out oof the woodwork and make themselves visible. Like allowing IS to flourish in Iraq and attract nutters from around the world - round 'em up, put 'em in a field and bomb that b******s.
What a horrible shit-show. Got to wonder what happens when all the foreign troops leave. Will the Taliban even be in charge or will it be a civil war between them and IS? Could end up being another Yemen with the world not giving a toss.

Makes you realise how lucky you are not to have been born in a country like that.
greenmark

Trader Pat wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:24 pm
greenmark wrote:
What a horrible shit-show. Got to wonder what happens when all the foreign troops leave. Will the Taliban even be in charge or will it be a civil war between them and IS? Could end up being another Yemen with the world not giving a toss.

Makes you realise how lucky you are not to have been born in a country like that.
In the context of the OP, Biden is going to have to spin this big-time. The US ain't even out and things are deteriorating.
Suddenly walking away after decades of meddling around the world protecting US interests looks a bit (a lot?) hypocritical.
Naffman

greenmark wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:56 pm
Trader Pat wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:24 pm
greenmark wrote:

In the context of the OP, Biden is going to have to spin this big-time. The US ain't even out and things are deteriorating.
Suddenly walking away after decades of meddling around the world protecting US interests looks a bit (a lot?) hypocritical.
It was always going to get worse before it got better, sadly hearing 4 US troops have now died too, the only way he'd have gotten away with this poorly planned evacuation was if no one died and every last American got back home safe.
Trader Pat

greenmark wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:56 pm
If I was American I'd agree with the decision to pull out of Afghanistan but Biden has made a complete mess of it. The spin started weeks ago but reports are saying American troops were killed in the blast today so that's serious political capital for Republicans and Trump.
Derek27

greenmark wrote:
ISIS probably want to draw the US back into conflict to fight the Taliban.
greenmark

Derek27 wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:40 pm
greenmark wrote:
ISIS probably want to draw the US back into conflict to fight the Taliban.
If IS do want that, it's a dumb approach. IS have now set themselves below the Taliban around the world. To attack refugees is disgusting brutality. My understanding is Taliban are predominantly Afghan. IS are randaom fundamentlist insurgents from Pakistan et al. Afghans have repelled the British, Russian and US/Allies. Cross these people at your peril. Their resistance can melt away only to return to kick your ass. Khyber Pass massacre as reference.
Archery1969

Not good.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lutruwita

America's withdrawal is going well.
robchampion

Think I read somewhere that you could get 4,000/1 on Sen. Rand Paul for president. Given his performance against Fauci, got to be worth a couple of quid.
greenmark

"US 'carries out military strike in Kabul' - Reuters"

"US strike targeted suicide bomber - officials"

"A spokesman for the Taliban also said the US airstrike had targeted a suspected bomber travelling in a car, according to the Associated Press."

Maybe there is an uneasy relationship developing here for the benefit of Afghans.
Trader Pat

it's only 2021 and I've already had enough of this thread and the 2024 election. :)

Return to “Political betting & arguing”