Australian Open 2022

Dallas

Officials announce ALL players must be vaccinated to compete in the upcoming Aus open, which throws the spot light whether Novak Djokovic (couldn't pick a better name lol) will be able to defend his title.
Trader Pat

Dallas wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:59 pm
Officials announce ALL players must be vaccinated to compete in the upcoming Aus open, which throws the spot light whether Novak Djokovic (couldn't pick a better name lol) will be able to defend his title.
:lol:

Never noticed that good spot!

He'll probably tell the organisers that he's got natural immunisation thanks to his emotions which can change the virus at a molecular level!

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2020/05/novak- ... nce-babble
gazuty

The Djoker has an exemption - https://www.theage.com.au/sport/tennis/ ... 59lw1.html

Book remains over broke due to the prospect of withdrawals.
Trader Pat

Wonder what kind of reception he'll get from the Aussie fans
Dallas

Trader Pat wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 3:28 pm
Very hostile I suspect

My money would be on him getting access through recently having Covid 'again'
Can't see what other medical exemption would apply to him
Trader Pat

Dallas wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 3:31 pm
Trader Pat wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 3:28 pm
Very hostile I suspect

My money would be on him getting access through recently having Covid 'again'
Can't see what other medical exemption would apply to him
Lack of transparency is a problem on Tennis Australia's end. Individual exemption submissions are obviously confidential but they should at least lay out step by step how the process works.

Jamie Murray said it best when he said "I wouldn't get an exemption"! :)
gazuty

Medical guidance is reasonably transparent.

https://www.health.gov.au/sites/default ... ccines.pdf

What we won’t know is the particular ground of exemption for any specific individual. But we can guess that it is the exemption to delay the vaccination for up to 6 months after testing positive (on the grounds that the body would have plenty of its own antibodies after recovering from infection - my understanding of the literature is bodies response is 27x background antibodies and the vaccine is about 13x background antibodies).
Trader Pat

gazuty wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:19 pm
Medical guidance is reasonably transparent.

https://www.health.gov.au/sites/default ... ccines.pdf

What we won’t know is the particular ground of exemption for any specific individual. But we can guess that it is the exemption to delay the vaccination for up to 6 months after testing positive (on the grounds that the body would have plenty of its own antibodies after recovering from infection - my understanding of the literature is bodies response is 27x background antibodies and the vaccine is about 13x background antibodies).
Thanks for that Gaz.

I spent about a half an hour this morning trying to find that info and couldn't!
gazuty

Trader Pat wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:01 pm
Thanks for that Gaz.

I spent about a half an hour this morning trying to find that info and couldn't!
No worries.

I agree with Dallas - I think the Djoker is in for a very hostile reception in Melbourne (always a sad spectacle in sport when a player wins a match and is booed off court - but I suspect this will reguarly happen). (Of course, there has always been a degree of abrasiveness to his character over a long period but this will probably take things to a whole new level). Over the past few years he has been in local advertisements, but outside his global sponsors, I can't see any Australian corporates touching him with a barge pole this time around. The major sponsors will really be hoping for an upset in the early rounds, I can't imagine anyone wants to stand next to him on the victory dais. Will just be a bad situation all round.
Trader Pat

gazuty wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:20 pm
Trader Pat wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:01 pm
Thanks for that Gaz.

No worries.

I agree with Dallas - I think the Djoker is in for a very hostile reception in Melbourne (always a sad spectacle in sport when a player wins a match and is booed off court - but I suspect this will reguarly happen). (Of course, there has always been a degree of abrasiveness to his character over a long period but this will probably take things to a whole new level). Over the past few years he has been in local advertisements, but outside his global sponsors, I can't see any Australian corporates touching him with a barge pole this time around. The major sponsors will really be hoping for an upset in the early rounds, I can't imagine anyone wants to stand next to him on the victory dais. Will just be a bad situation all round.
If it is hostile it I wonder how he'll handle it. It really seems to bother him that he's not as popular with the fans as Federer or Nadal. The optics will be even worse if this is the tournament where he wins #21.
Dallas

This looks set to rumble on, in the face of fierce backlash Morrison has now come out and said Djokovic must provide the reason for his exemption

From my understanding when the decision is made by the committee (or whoever makes it), its done so without knowing who the records belong to so it removes any suggestion of biasness.
If that's the case then either all those who are exempt are going to have to declare their reasons or it could end up looking like a witch hunt against Djokovic
Crazyskier

Dallas wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 12:33 pm
This looks set to rumble on, in the face of fierce backlash Morrison has now come out and said Djokovic must provide the reason for his exemption

From my understanding when the decision is made by the committee (or whoever makes it), its done so without knowing who the records belong to so it removes any suggestion of biasness.
If that's the case then either all those who are exempt are going to have to declare their reasons or it could end up looking like a witch hunt against Djokovic
I agree that they should make the rules equal for all, and therefore ALL exemptions should be given public reasoning - say available on a .Gov website or similar...

CS
goat68

Are officials really that stupid that they didnt see this situation coming?
gazuty

Novak stuck at the airport. May have wrong paperwork - https://www.theage.com.au/national/visa ... 59m75.html
Euler

If he gets in then it will be interesting to see the fans reaction when he steps on court. Afterall still restrictions in place for mere mortals.

Return to “Tennis Trading”