Australian Open 2022

Derek27

jamesg46 wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:39 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:13 pm
All this hassle just to avoid a harmless jab. :lol:
I’m not much for the word harmless “not able or ‘likely’ to cause harm”. Although technically correct (about the jab) it comes across somewhat deceiving. It’s pretence imo.

We know there are side effects, although unlikely, so let’s umbrella it with the word harmless.

Just my opinion, as we were. 😔
Relatively speaking, it would be harmless to his bank balance, reputation, tennis standing and stress levels. I think it's unlikely that fear of the jab would cause him as much stress as he's undergoing now.
jamesg46

Derek27 wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:56 pm
jamesg46 wrote:
Derek27 wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:13 pm
All this hassle just to avoid a harmless jab. :lol:
I’m not much for the word harmless “not able or ‘likely’ to cause harm”. Although technically correct (about the jab) it comes across somewhat deceiving. It’s pretence imo.

We know there are side effects, although unlikely, so let’s umbrella it with the word harmless.

Relatively speaking, it would be harmless to his bank balance, reputation, tennis standing and stress levels. I think it's unlikely that fear of the jab would cause him as much stress as he's undergoing now.
Surely he would of thought through those things before making his decisions, & if he didn’t then surely to god his lawyers or immediate team would of spoken to him about it. If so then he still chose the path of no jab which suggests he fears the jab over any of the above things.

Who knows, we can only speculate, but it appears he’s willing to go down on this ship.
Derek27

jamesg46 wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:09 pm
Derek27 wrote:
jamesg46 wrote:

Surely he would of thought through those things before making his decisions, & if he didn’t then surely to god his lawyers or immediate team would of spoken to him about it. If so then he still chose the path of no jab which suggests he fears the jab over any of the above things.

Who knows, we can only speculate, but it appears he’s willing to go down on this ship.
Not necessarily. He may have just thought, I'm Novak Djokovic, they must let me in.
jamesg46

Derek27 wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:34 pm
jamesg46 wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:09 pm
Derek27 wrote:

Not necessarily. He may have just thought, I'm Novak Djokovic, they must let me in.
It’s possible, not sure how likely… I guess people will make judgment of likeliness based on his character & actions but I suppose that’s riddled with bias depending on individual perception of his character & actions.

I’m sure we will get to see an abundance of egocentric bias with this situation.
Euler

It's curious.

Becomes the greatest Tennis player of all time by getting a jab or finding a way around the issue well in advance of the tournament you are most likely to win.

Or ignore all the above, have a total shit show and jepordise the next grand slam and ruin your brand.

Difficult choice...
Kai

gazuty wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:02 am
@Kai - be interested if you have any views on this article- https://www.nytimes.com/2022/01/13/worl ... kovic.html
Obviously can't speak for Serbians even though I do have many Serb friends but I think the article sums it up well enough.

Like I mentioned earlier in the thread, there are a lot of vocal anti-vaxers in the region and the whole lockdown periods did not go well in Serbia in particular. I think people overall take their personal freedoms very seriously and just see it as another form of oppression. I've seen Serbian users reading this thread so I'd rather leave it to them to expand on that should they wish to.

Clearly, for anti-vaxers this basically makes Novak a martyr so this will only serve to cement his champion status in their eyes, like someone already pointed out in the thread earlier. Don't really have much of an opinion/interest personally on the drama, been blown way out of proportion and doesn't reflect well on anyone involved, I think either way a decision needed to be reached very quickly, the only tennis drama that deserves this type of media attention is the Peng Shuai one for me.

I'm sure top athletes get away with stuff all the time, Novak probably didn't think it was going to be a big deal at all.
Trader Pat

Djokovic is a conspiracy theorist and believes in crackpot science. Most conspiracy theorists are anti-vax so its not surprising he doesn't want to get a vaccine. Again though this has got nothing to do with personal beliefs or his stance on getting the jab. It boils down to the fact that he's been caught out in more than one lie so I don't see what option the Aussie government had other than to cancel his visa.

If he is out of the tournament it might be a good thing for him. Poor preparation probably means he's no longer the favourite; he'd be saved the wrath of the fans and he wouldn't have to sit in front of the media and answer questions. Plus he can play the victim and will have extra motivation for the rest of the slams. (Apart from the French :D )
Euler

@ari_shapiro wrote:I’ll always remember Roger Federer for his legendary consistency, Rafael Nadal for his clay court mastery, Andy Murray for his heart and soul prowess, and Novak Djokovic for visiting Australia unvaccinated during COVID-19 and turning it into a miserable and unnecessary shit show.
Trader Pat

Penny for the thoughts of the remaining players in the draw who have Covid exemptions
greenmark

Euler wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:11 pm
@ari_shapiro wrote:I’ll always remember Roger Federer for his legendary consistency, Rafael Nadal for his clay court mastery, Andy Murray for his heart and soul prowess, and Novak Djokovic for visiting Australia unvaccinated during COVID-19 and turning it into a miserable and unnecessary shit show.
That made chortle! :-)
Derek27

Euler wrote:
I'll just remember him for being a twit. :)
bennyboy351

gazuty wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:20 pm
Trader Pat wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:01 pm
Thanks for that Gaz.

I spent about a half an hour this morning trying to find that info and couldn't!
No worries.

I agree with Dallas - I think the Djoker is in for a very hostile reception in Melbourne (always a sad spectacle in sport when a player wins a match and is booed off court - but I suspect this will reguarly happen). (Of course, there has always been a degree of abrasiveness to his character over a long period but this will probably take things to a whole new level). Over the past few years he has been in local advertisements, but outside his global sponsors, I can't see any Australian corporates touching him with a barge pole this time around. The major sponsors will really be hoping for an upset in the early rounds, I can't imagine anyone wants to stand next to him on the victory dais. Will just be a bad situation all round.
IMHO, the main problem with ALL sports these days is caused, on the whole, by people like us - GAMBLERS! There is FAR TOO MUCH 'money' in sport these days! "Back in the day", you could only bet on the 'Footie' and the 'Ossies' - (Horses). These days, it seems that you can bet on whether or not a pair of flys will produce more boy flys than girl flys!

Human nature is geared towards being the best/making the most money - so issus like this are BOUND to arise....
gazuty

Kai wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:09 pm
Obviously can't speak for Serbians even though I do have many Serb friends but I think the article sums it up well enough.
Thanks Kai - always appreciate and value your perspectives.
wearthefoxhat

Derek27 wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:55 pm
Euler wrote:
I'll just remember him for being a twit. :)

He'll be known as Novak Novax for a while to come...
Derek27

The Australian government has described Novak Djokovic as a..... you can finish the sentence yourself. :D

Return to “Tennis Trading”