Ukraine Crisis

Relax and chat about anything not covered elsewhere.
greenmark

Ukraine war could last to end of next year - Johnson

I wonder how many other folks feel utterly powerless. What size of donation will make a jot of difference?
Does anyone here have suggestions to help these battered people?
Derek27

greenmark wrote:
Fri Apr 22, 2022 6:43 pm

I wonder how many other folks feel utterly powerless. What size of donation will make a jot of difference?
If we did, I don't think BJ, Biden or Stolenburger visit this forum. :)
The Silk Run

greenmark wrote:

Sadly G, it's the Spoils of War !!!! Not, dissimilar to Gambling n Trading darling.
Do have a nice weekend Sir
Minnie LAI
greenmark

The Silk Run wrote:
Fri Apr 22, 2022 8:05 pm
greenmark wrote:

Sadly G, it's the Spoils of War !!!! Not, dissimilar to Gambling n Trading darling.
Do have a nice weekend Sir
Minnie LAI
The phrase " Spoils of War" deserves a thread of it's own.
Have a good weekend too Silk Run.
Archery1969

Metro - Russia investigating claims of ‘sabotage’ by British SAS in Ukraine. As the UK is a NATO member it could seriously escalate the conflict. It’s believed 20 members of the unit were sent to Lviv.
firlandsfarm

Let me make one thing crystal clear ... I do not in any way condone Russia's actions but from a Putin point of view I can somewhat understand his position re NATO.

For those old enough to remember the Cuban missile crisis of 1962 (and for those not just google "Cuban missile crisis"). In short JFK/USA went 'ape' because Russia did a deal with Cuba to post nuclear missiles on the island of Cuba. It was a major threat to the USA because firstly all their 'anti-missile' defences were pointed towards Russia and Cuba was in the opposite direction and secondly even if they turned some of them to monitor and defend against launches from Cuba it is so much closer to the USA than Russia and therefore time for detection and defence was greatly reduced.

Now compare that with Putin's claims against NATO. By USA placing nuclear missiles in NATO countries bordering (or close to) Russia USA/NATO are effectively doing the same as Russia/Cuba did to the USA in 1962. The USA went 'ape' and now Russia are going 'ape' in similar circumstance. Is it any surprise.

The Cuban missile crisis was negotiated into history and this current conflict should have been likewise negotiated into history by Russia and USA/NATO. It's too late now for a similar peaceful negotiated agreement, the damage has quite literally been done. I think the only way this conflict will end is for Russia to be pushed back to it's borders or Putin to be removed from power by any means possible. The conflict in Ukraine will never end until Russia withdraws. The country will never be at peace as an occupied country and Russia will find it very difficult to hold on to it. They should have learned their lesson over their 'occupation' of Afghanistan where after a 9 year war with Afghan guerrillas they pulled out with loss of face and 15,000 dead soldiers.
Archery1969

firlandsfarm wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:11 am
Let me make one thing crystal clear ... I do not in any way condone Russia's actions but from a Putin point of view I can somewhat understand his position re NATO.

For those old enough to remember the Cuban missile crisis of 1962 (and for those not just google "Cuban missile crisis"). In short JFK/USA went 'ape' because Russia did a deal with Cuba to post nuclear missiles on the island of Cuba. It was a major threat to the USA because firstly all their 'anti-missile' defences were pointed towards Russia and Cuba was in the opposite direction and secondly even if they turned some of them to monitor and defend against launches from Cuba it is so much closer to the USA than Russia and therefore time for detection and defence was greatly reduced.

Now compare that with Putin's claims against NATO. By USA placing nuclear missiles in NATO countries bordering (or close to) Russia USA/NATO are effectively doing the same as Russia/Cuba did to the USA in 1962. The USA went 'ape' and now Russia are going 'ape' in similar circumstance. Is it any surprise.

The Cuban missile crisis was negotiated into history and this current conflict should have been likewise negotiated into history by Russia and USA/NATO. It's too late now for a similar peaceful negotiated agreement, the damage has quite literally been done. I think the only way this conflict will end is for Russia to be pushed back to it's borders or Putin to be removed from power by any means possible. The conflict in Ukraine will never end until Russia withdraws. The country will never be at peace as an occupied country and Russia will find it very difficult to hold on to it. They should have learned their lesson over their 'occupation' of Afghanistan where after a 9 year war with Afghan guerrillas they pulled out with loss of face and 15,000 dead soldiers.
Looks very likely that Finland and Sweden will join Nato in May or apply too. At that point, if Putin is still in power then it could well be the start of the end. The Saturn II missile recently test fired can carry warheads 3,000 times more powerful than the one dropped on Hiroshima many years ago. Would only take one to completly destroy the UK.

Some are arguing that the Russian soldiers in Ukraine are all conscripts with little to no training, Putin is holding back with his elite troops to be used against Nato if and when that happens.

Personally, i think its scary times ahead. Unlike Ukraine the UK has no Nuclear shelters avaialble for joe public, a select few will be made safe but thats < 0.1% of the population with everyone else being turned into hot mince meat.
goat68

Archery1969 wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:22 am
firlandsfarm wrote:

Looks very likely that Finland and Sweden will join Nato in May or apply too. At that point, if Putin is still in power then it could well be the start of the end. The Saturn II missile recently test fired can carry warheads 3,000 times more powerful than the one dropped on Hiroshima many years ago. Would only take one to completly destroy the UK.

Some are arguing that the Russian soldiers in Ukraine are all conscripts with little to no training, Putin is holding back with his elite troops to be used against Nato if and when that happens.

Personally, i think its scary times ahead. Unlike Ukraine the UK has no Nuclear shelters avaialble for joe public, a select few will be made safe but thats < 0.1% of the population with everyone else being turned into hot mince meat.
There seems no way for de-escalation. I do think West needs to talk to East, but no-one wants to appear weak, feeble,... so we'll just blow up mother Earth instead!
I blame the "internet" and natural human greed for all this...
goat68

Humans can't be nice to each other any more, especially now most of us "work from home"... makes it a lot easier to throw insults and not stare someone in the face...!
napshnap

firlandsfarm wrote:

So what do you suggest to besieged Russia - surrender? Sweden and Finland gonna join nato in may - another threat, another step to escalation. You should ask your leaders why are they keep doing it, keep escalation growing. But as you say it maybe too late to ask or protest...
Last edited by napshnap on Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Archery1969

napshnap wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:38 am
firlandsfarm wrote:

So what do you suggest to besieged Russia - surrender? Sweden and Finland gonna join nato in may - another threat, another step to escalation. You should ask your leaders why are they keep doing it, keep escalating growing. But as you say it maybe too late to ask or protest...
Nato hasn't asked Finland and Sweden to join, they have/are requesting it. Its upto each country to decide what they wish todo, not Russia. Nobody can win a Nuclear war, it will just be the end. So, no more Betfair.
napshnap

Archery1969 wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:43 am
napshnap wrote:
firlandsfarm wrote:

So what do you suggest to besieged Russia - surrender? Sweden and Finland gonna join nato in may - another threat, another step to escalation. You should ask your leaders why are they keep doing it, keep escalating growing. But as you say it maybe too late to ask or protest...
Nato hasn't asked Finland and Sweden to join, they have/are requesting it. Its upto each country to decide what they wish todo, not Russia. Nobody can win a Nuclear war, it will just be the end. So, no more Betfair.
Yes, but nato will welcome them with open arms not like they(nato) rejected Russia.

"Nobody can win a Nuclear war..."

I know it, I dont want it. Goat mentioned greed, I'm still hoping that good old greed will beat all this moronic idealistic almost commie like ideas or these total superiority ideas (being it an economy or law or ""moral high ground"" or whatever else) with which the West is obsessed now.
Last edited by napshnap on Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:35 am, edited 5 times in total.
goat68

napshnap wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:46 am

"Nobody can win a Nuclear war..."
Where are my "Paddypower Pants" when I need them...?
Derek27

firlandsfarm wrote:

Russia is an aggressor whereas NATO is a defender of peace, it's not the same. Of course Putin won't see it that way but he sees (and talks) through his arse. :)
Derek27

napshnap wrote:
firlandsfarm wrote:

So what do you suggest to besieged Russia - surrender? Sweden and Finland gonna join nato in may - another threat, another step to escalation. You should ask your leaders why are they keep doing it, keep escalation growing. But as you say it maybe too late to ask or protest...
Putin's not besieged, he's invaded Ukraine so it's only natural surrounding states will want to join NATO.

Return to “Chill Out Area”