Panic buying

Trading is often about how to take the appropriate risk without exposing yourself to very human flaws.
Post Reply
greenmark
Posts: 2713
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:15 pm

Derek27 wrote:
Mon Jan 03, 2022 1:57 pm
firlandsfarm wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 8:16 am
I just swill them around in a bowl of cold water (have considered doing same in hot water to see if that replicates par boiling them as they are thin). Then lay them out on half a towel and fold the towel over to dry them before frying.

I stopped doing it for a while as the mandoline I was using either took the tops off my fingers or if I used the thing to hold the spud and prevent that I found it wasted the final chunk of potato and the thickness of cut was not adjustable and a little too thick but then I discovered this ... it really does the job (and other jobs). It's safe and you can adjust the thickness to whatever you want for say crisps or general salads and cutting julienned veggies. :D

I've also discovered "cheese powder" and am thinking of that and onion salt for cheese & onion! :D
Thanks, I might give that a try. I've always used my trusty chef's knife but you end up with the odd thick cut that comes out of the fryer soft.
Lakeland is always a good shout for kitchen gear. Mandolins are vicious, so I'd gp with the guard and sacrifice the end of a spud rather than my fingertips. The spud end can go into the compost after all, for a few pence.
firlandsfarm
Posts: 1820
Joined: Sat May 03, 2014 8:20 am

greenmark wrote:
Mon Jan 03, 2022 3:05 pm
Lakeland is always a good shout for kitchen gear. Mandolins are vicious, so I'd gp with the guard and sacrifice the end of a spud rather than my fingertips. The spud end can go into the compost after all, for a few pence.
I used the gadget I referred to in my previous post last night, works a treat ... much better than an open mandolin not just for safety but also the adjustable thickness, I set it to 1mm. Also tried washing them in hot (just boiled) water after giving them a good cold water rinse to get rid of the surface starch. Only left them in the boiled water for a quick swirl to make sure each slice was separated and washed both sides ... it had an affect. I think it drew more starch out because they were 'sticky' when drying them. Anyway they fried well (seemed to take a little longer to turn golden, maybe the hot water did draw some starch out and maybe it's the starch gives the colour) and they were much better than when washed in cold water only so will keep doing it that way.
greenmark
Posts: 2713
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:15 pm

firlandsfarm wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 2:34 pm
greenmark wrote:
Mon Jan 03, 2022 3:05 pm
Lakeland is always a good shout for kitchen gear. Mandolins are vicious, so I'd gp with the guard and sacrifice the end of a spud rather than my fingertips. The spud end can go into the compost after all, for a few pence.
I used the gadget I referred to in my previous post last night, works a treat ... much better than an open mandolin not just for safety but also the adjustable thickness, I set it to 1mm. Also tried washing them in hot (just boiled) water after giving them a good cold water rinse to get rid of the surface starch. Only left them in the boiled water for a quick swirl to make sure each slice was separated and washed both sides ... it had an affect. I think it drew more starch out because they were 'sticky' when drying them. Anyway they fried well (seemed to take a little longer to turn golden, maybe the hot water did draw some starch out and maybe it's the starch gives the colour) and they were much better than when washed in cold water only so will keep doing it that way.
I've seen some negative reviews for that piece. But perhaps online reviews aren't reliable. Much rather take 1st hand from a trusted source. Does it seem like it's a durable device? This whole home-made crisp thing has ignited my interest. Crisps used to be great. But they're plummeted in quality. Can't even understand why folks are missing Walkers. Too much salt, too much MSG, too many e numbers replacing real flavour. not enough potatoey flavour.
Big down side is incinerating your kitchen (house) if you don't pay attention to that hot fat.
User avatar
Derek27
Posts: 16041
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:44 am
Location: UK

greenmark wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 5:07 pm
firlandsfarm wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 2:34 pm
greenmark wrote:
Mon Jan 03, 2022 3:05 pm
Lakeland is always a good shout for kitchen gear. Mandolins are vicious, so I'd gp with the guard and sacrifice the end of a spud rather than my fingertips. The spud end can go into the compost after all, for a few pence.
I used the gadget I referred to in my previous post last night, works a treat ... much better than an open mandolin not just for safety but also the adjustable thickness, I set it to 1mm. Also tried washing them in hot (just boiled) water after giving them a good cold water rinse to get rid of the surface starch. Only left them in the boiled water for a quick swirl to make sure each slice was separated and washed both sides ... it had an affect. I think it drew more starch out because they were 'sticky' when drying them. Anyway they fried well (seemed to take a little longer to turn golden, maybe the hot water did draw some starch out and maybe it's the starch gives the colour) and they were much better than when washed in cold water only so will keep doing it that way.
I've seen some negative reviews for that piece. But perhaps online reviews aren't reliable. Much rather take 1st hand from a trusted source. Does it seem like it's a durable device? This whole home-made crisp thing has ignited my interest. Crisps used to be great. But they're plummeted in quality. Can't even understand why folks are missing Walkers. Too much salt, too much MSG, too many e numbers replacing real flavour. not enough potatoey flavour.
Big down side is incinerating your kitchen (house) if you don't pay attention to that hot fat.
A good quality deep-fat fryer and quality sunflower oil and you'll be fine. Certain oils tend to burn/smoke at high temperatures. I'm making my own crisps tonight and I'm gonna try cajun and basil flavour. :D
Trader Pat
Posts: 4165
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:50 pm

Derek27 wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 7:32 pm
A good quality deep-fat fryer and quality sunflower oil and you'll be fine. Certain oils tend to burn/smoke at high temperatures. I'm making my own crisps tonight and I'm gonna try cajun and basil flavour. :D
When I think of all the money I wasted on poor quality take aways when you can't beat real chips from a deep fat fryer! Worth burning the gaff down for :D

That's what I get a craving for now when I'm staring at chicken or fish with veg for an evening meal
User avatar
Derek27
Posts: 16041
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:44 am
Location: UK

Trader Pat wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 7:55 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 7:32 pm
A good quality deep-fat fryer and quality sunflower oil and you'll be fine. Certain oils tend to burn/smoke at high temperatures. I'm making my own crisps tonight and I'm gonna try cajun and basil flavour. :D
When I think of all the money I wasted on poor quality take aways when you can't beat real chips from a deep fat fryer! Worth burning the gaff down for :D

That's what I get a craving for now when I'm staring at chicken or fish with veg for an evening meal
When I have a drink I'm usually trading for the first few hours, then do the housework and spend the rest of the night listening to music. Not that I don't have other things to do but with nothing to trade tonight cooking will have to take the place of trading. :(
Trader Pat
Posts: 4165
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:50 pm

Derek27 wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:07 pm
Trader Pat wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 7:55 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 7:32 pm
A good quality deep-fat fryer and quality sunflower oil and you'll be fine. Certain oils tend to burn/smoke at high temperatures. I'm making my own crisps tonight and I'm gonna try cajun and basil flavour. :D
When I think of all the money I wasted on poor quality take aways when you can't beat real chips from a deep fat fryer! Worth burning the gaff down for :D

That's what I get a craving for now when I'm staring at chicken or fish with veg for an evening meal
When I have a drink I'm usually trading for the first few hours, then do the housework and spend the rest of the night listening to music. Not that I don't have other things to do but with nothing to trade tonight cooking will have to take the place of trading. :(
I can see you now :D

Image
User avatar
Derek27
Posts: 16041
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:44 am
Location: UK

I was hoping to post a picture of some beautiful crisps and say they're better than Walkers. Didn't quite work out this time (I've made good crisps before) but I'll post a picture anyway, they are flipping awful. :lol:

At least it's taken my mind of not trading. :D
20220105_024521.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
firlandsfarm
Posts: 1820
Joined: Sat May 03, 2014 8:20 am

greenmark wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 5:07 pm
I've seen some negative reviews for that piece. But perhaps online reviews aren't reliable. Much rather take 1st hand from a trusted source. Does it seem like it's a durable device? This whole home-made crisp thing has ignited my interest. Crisps used to be great. But they're plummeted in quality. Can't even understand why folks are missing Walkers. Too much salt, too much MSG, too many e numbers replacing real flavour. not enough potatoey flavour.
Big down side is incinerating your kitchen (house) if you don't pay attention to that hot fat.
I've done 3 batches with it now and it's performed fine ... like many things if you mistreat it and use force when it's not going to plan rather than try and see what the problem is you will probably break it! In fact the first time I used it I was disappointed with the lack of consistent thickness but the next time I used less pressure on offering the spud to the blade and now have consistent thicknesses. As I said the main advantage I see is the infinitely adjustable thickness of cut.

Anyway, that's a 1st hand review ... not sure if I can be trusted though!! :lol:
firlandsfarm
Posts: 1820
Joined: Sat May 03, 2014 8:20 am

Derek27 wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 3:01 am
I was hoping to post a picture of some beautiful crisps and say they're better than Walkers. Didn't quite work out this time (I've made good crisps before) but I'll post a picture anyway, they are flipping awful. :lol:

At least it's taken my mind of not trading. :D
20220105_024521.gif
Obviously cooked too long (can't blame anyone for that but the chief!) but because of the irregular burning I wonder if you regularly stir them when cooking?
User avatar
Derek27
Posts: 16041
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:44 am
Location: UK

firlandsfarm wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:38 am
Derek27 wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 3:01 am
I was hoping to post a picture of some beautiful crisps and say they're better than Walkers. Didn't quite work out this time (I've made good crisps before) but I'll post a picture anyway, they are flipping awful. :lol:

At least it's taken my mind of not trading. :D
20220105_024521.gif
Obviously cooked too long (can't blame anyone for that but the chief!) but because of the irregular burning I wonder if you regularly stir them when cooking?
I cut the crisps too thick. I was (pissed and) picking them out of the fryer and tasting them. They were still soft so I left them in the fryer to crisp, and they ended up burnt.

I didn't stir them while cooking. Is that what you do?
firlandsfarm
Posts: 1820
Joined: Sat May 03, 2014 8:20 am

Derek27 wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:29 am
I didn't stir them while cooking. Is that what you do?
Sorry for the delay in responding on such an important subject Derek (and I mean that! :)) ... yes, with a large ladle. I find stirring helps them to cook evenly and prevents them sticking together. I assume you wash and pat dry after cutting.
User avatar
Derek27
Posts: 16041
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:44 am
Location: UK

firlandsfarm wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 8:28 am
Derek27 wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:29 am
I didn't stir them while cooking. Is that what you do?
Sorry for the delay in responding on such an important subject Derek (and I mean that! :)) ... yes, with a large ladle. I find stirring helps them to cook evenly and prevents them sticking together. I assume you wash and pat dry after cutting.
Thanks, but the spuds have been in hot oil for over two months now, so it's a bit late. ;)
firlandsfarm
Posts: 1820
Joined: Sat May 03, 2014 8:20 am

Explains why you burnt them! :lol: :lol: :lol:
User avatar
Derek27
Posts: 16041
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:44 am
Location: UK

I've just bought a litre of sunflower oil from Lidl. :D :D

Shall we start the bidding at £80? :lol:
Post Reply

Return to “Trading Psychology”