Back on bet Angel after about 12 years

We were all new to Bet Angel once. Ask any question you like here and fellow forum members promise not to laugh. Betfair trading made simple.
westcel

Hi Everyone 1st post ever.
Wow how things have changed. I first used betangel around 10-12 years ago may have even been longer and oh how I wished I could rewind the clock and keep at it, but at the time I was just looking at backing a few horses and laying a few but this programme done that with amazing speed.
But in the end it was just me betting and gambling so as usual always ended up in losing. Really really just want to get back to this and learn as much as possible on how to trade successfully.
Some of the things I'm reading about automation and servents is crazy I didn't even know this was possible 😳 But the best of all has to be practice mode !! This was definitely not around when I first used Betangel. This is definitely where I will be for the next few months.
Practice Practice Practice.
Any extra advice from you guys would be amazing 👍
Euler

Welcome back, a lot has changed!
ShaunWhite

What's your objective? Fun and pocket money or a good living? I 'traded' in 2006 and made such a balls up of it that it put me off for 10yrs. But I returned in 2016 with a very different attitude this time fully expecting to take a couple of years and it to cost a few thousand (I budgeted 10 as a fair crack of the whip) Ie seeing it and treating it as a business opportunity from day 1, no fun, just hard work and sometimes boring work. There's no easy money these days and you'll need to approach it with a degree of professionalism from the start if you're serious. Anyway after a couple of years full time and about 9 spent (excl opportunity costs) I was on the verge of brushing up my cv when the plan started to come together and I turned a corner, 3 losing months in the last 36, still full time, still working just as hard to maintain an edge.

Just be realistic so you can stick at it long enough not to be demoralised and not run out of money before running out of lessons. It's incredibly competitive these days and there's 00s if not 000s who treat it very seriously and we're all fighting for a pretty small pot of money on very tight margins. It's doable, but the received wisdom is that only 5% of betfair customers ever see a profit so when you sit down each day you'll need to be better, more organised, smarter and more hard working than 19 other people. If you don't have that mindset then you're toast, it's not about you doing OK it's a competition and every game is vs the best in the business.

Btw I'm 100% automated so if that's your plan then feel free to ask me anything you want, I might even answer if it doesn't give too much away :D
Derek27

westcel wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 11:30 am
Hi Everyone 1st post ever.
Wow how things have changed. I first used betangel around 10-12 years ago may have even been longer and oh how I wished I could rewind the clock and keep at it, but at the time I was just looking at backing a few horses and laying a few but this programme done that with amazing speed.
But in the end it was just me betting and gambling so as usual always ended up in losing. Really really just want to get back to this and learn as much as possible on how to trade successfully.
Some of the things I'm reading about automation and servents is crazy I didn't even know this was possible 😳 But the best of all has to be practice mode !! This was definitely not around when I first used Betangel. This is definitely where I will be for the next few months.
Practice Practice Practice.
Any extra advice from you guys would be amazing 👍
Something's changed with Betfair as well, the minimum stake has dropped to £1. Practice mode is for testing automation and using the software. Don't use it for practising trading. Not only is it not an accurate simulation of trading but Betfair will eventually suspend/close your account if you're using the API without placing real bets.
westcel

Thanks guys for the response and advice and i will take it on board. I will not be rushing, i'm in for the long term and willing to teach myself again. Will be trying out some automation on practice soon. But my main concern at the moment is to study and watch the markets and the ladder, got to get to grip with it as from what i remember from back in the day was it just shooting in the wrong direction for me every time :lol:
I think I lasted about a month before I left. I really wish i would have kept going.
will see how I stand in a few months from now.
Any starting automatons to start with would be great :lol: :lol: :lol:
Dallas

westcel wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 9:36 pm
Thanks guys for the response and advice and i will take it on board. I will not be rushing, i'm in for the long term and willing to teach myself again. Will be trying out some automation on practice soon. But my main concern at the moment is to study and watch the markets and the ladder, got to get to grip with it as from what i remember from back in the day was it just shooting in the wrong direction for me every time :lol:
I think I lasted about a month before I left. I really wish i would have kept going.
will see how I stand in a few months from now.
Any starting automatons to start with would be great :lol: :lol: :lol:
There's over 200 ready-made automation files in the shared automation section ranging from very basic one's through to more complex examples which link markets together
viewforum.php?f=43

Or some example servants here
viewforum.php?f=58
westcel

Thanks Dallas
Will definitely look into these.
ShaunWhite

westcel wrote:
Sat May 14, 2022 11:58 am
Thanks Dallas
Will definitely look into these.
Start with manual trading, it's easier. You stand half a chance of automating something you see whereas with no data and no analitics the chance of downloading a bot and tweaking it into life are vanishingly small.
Kai

westcel wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 11:30 am
Back on bet Angel after about 12 years
Well at least you could enjoy your freedoms! There are probably people on here that almost regret it, 12 years a slave to market whim etc :mrgreen:

Return to “Bet Angel for newbies / Getting started”