Next Prime Minister / Tory Party Leader

Betfair trading & Punting on politics. Be aware there is a lot of off topic discussion in this group centred on Political views.
Archery1969

greenmark wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:15 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:21 pm
greenmark wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:16 pm

Truss will slam deprived areas way beyond the level of Sunak.
She's going for tax cuts, which, with no ability to borrow more, will mean service cuts.
Truss likes to present herself as a no-nonsense Thatcher clone. But she has failed to explain the where the cuts will be. I think I know it will be in the Red wall constituencies that she knows are already lost.
A new PM and a fresh start may be the best way to get them back. If they were daft enough to trust the biggest liar in the history of parliament (who was sacked from the cabinet for lying) they could well trust Truss if she makes a few promises.
The difference being BJ's claims of "getting brexit done" and "levelling up" has proved to be pure rhetoric. Red wall constituents are no more or less bright than anyone else. When their pockets are hit they wake up and want answers as to why we've wound up here.
Sure covid and Ukraine are outside normality. But underlying that is a total failure "to exploit" the opportunites of Brexit. And Truss is hyping the same crap. Brexit has happened, now flipping show us these 'opportunities'. The Tory credibility on the economy is evaporating before our eyes. They haven't really a clue what they're doing. They're all scuttling around saving their fat arses.
There were NO brexit opportunities:

- We stuck with the NI protocol, tear it up and you risk a trade war with the EU and seriously piss off the USA. Continue with it and Unionists wont take their seats at stormont for a generation.

- Thousands of NHS staff have left, we can't or don't want to recruit from the EU.

- We cant do major trade deals, USA not interested, India would want mass migration with free Visa's. You can only do good deals if you have or produce something that others want. We fail on both counts. Any trade deals will be one sided.

- Scotland will probably leave the union in the coming years. Because of migration difference's there would have to be a hard/physical border between England and Scotland. That would cause havoc from an economy point of view plus what do we do with the Nuclear fleet of submarines.

- We have lost being part of some major projects around Space, Scientific, Financial and Militarily. Not too mention losing out on knowledge sharing around terrorist activities.

- Yes i voted leave and I knew things were going to be difficult in the short to medium term. But I didn't for one minute believe what was put on the side of a bus. That was all BS etc.

The economy is a difficult one and not just the UK's problem. The USA and Germany are more than likely going into recession too later this year or early in the new year. That will have a knock on affect throughout Europe and elsewhere.

All the time Russia and now China are calling the shots then high prices are here to stay, probably for a number of years. Only fix is to take them on one way or another, come what may. Risky, yes but you cant have 2 super powers being allowed to hold the rest of the world to ransom. The USA will realise that soon enough and without consulting much do what they did to Japan many years back.

Anyway, football is back, so all is good. :D
greenmark

Archery1969 wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:54 pm
greenmark wrote:
Derek27 wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:21 pm

A new PM and a fresh start may be the best way to get them back. If they were daft enough to trust the biggest liar in the history of parliament (who was sacked from the cabinet for lying) they could well trust Truss if she makes a few promises.
The difference being BJ's claims of "getting brexit done" and "levelling up" has proved to be pure rhetoric. Red wall constituents are no more or less bright than anyone else. When their pockets are hit they wake up and want answers as to why we've wound up here.
Sure covid and Ukraine are outside normality. But underlying that is a total failure "to exploit" the opportunites of Brexit. And Truss is hyping the same crap. Brexit has happened, now flipping show us these 'opportunities'. The Tory credibility on the economy is evaporating before our eyes. They haven't really a clue what they're doing. They're all scuttling around saving their fat arses.

- We stuck with the NI protocol, tear it up and you risk a trade war with the EU and seriously piss off the USA. Continue with it and Unionists wont take their seats at stormont for a generation.

- Thousands of NHS staff have left, we can't or don't want to recruit from the EU.

- We cant do major trade deals, USA not interested, India would want mass migration with free Visa's. You can only do good deals if you have or produce something that others want. We fail on both counts. Any trade deals will be one sided.

- Scotland will probably leave the union in the coming years. Because of migration difference's there would have to be a hard/physical border between England and Scotland. That would cause havoc from an economy point of view plus what do we do with the Nuclear fleet of submarines.

- We have lost being part of some major projects around Space, Scientific, Financial and Militarily. Not too mention losing out on knowledge sharing around terrorist activities.

- Yes i voted leave and I knew things were going to be difficult in the short to medium term. But I didn't for one minute believe what was put on the side of a bus. That was all BS etc.

The economy is a difficult one and not just the UK's problem. The USA and Germany are more than likely going into recession too later this year or early in the new year. That will have a knock on affect throughout Europe and elsewhere.

All the time Russia and now China are calling the shots then high prices are here to stay, probably for a number of years. Only fix is to take them on one way or another, come what may. Risky, yes but you cant have 2 super powers being allowed to hold the rest of the world to ransom. The USA will realise that soon enough and without consulting much do what they did to Japan many years back.

Bleak stuff.

The stunning fact this week that I've learned is Taiwan produces 60% of semiconductors. This a prime example of capitalist greed going wherever it needs to to make money.
Along with fuel and grain dependence on Russia we have a crucial resource neighbouring and lusted oveer by one of the biggest countiries.
Let's just hope common sense and co-operation wins out across all that.
Archery1969

greenmark wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:14 pm
Archery1969 wrote:
greenmark wrote:

Bleak stuff.

The stunning fact this week that I've learned is Taiwan produces 60% of semiconductors. This a prime example of capitalist greed going wherever it needs to to make money.
Along with fuel and grain dependence on Russia we have a crucial resource neighbouring and lusted oveer by one of the biggest countiries.
I didn’t know about semi-conductors either. Again, China could totally block them going anywhere if they choose too.

And China has hypersonic missiles which are extremely difficult to stop.

The world is becoming a very scary place.

Might need to get 12 months of freeze dried food at this rate.
greenmark

Archery1969 wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:25 pm
greenmark wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:14 pm
Archery1969 wrote:

Bleak stuff.

I didn’t know about semi-conductors either. Again, China could totally block them going anywhere if they choose too.

And China has hypersonic missiles which are extremely difficult to stop.

The world is becoming a very scary place.

Chill dude. The world is complex. At these moments I turn to Lincoln
"government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth".
And Martin Luther King, and I wouldn't dare to cherry pick from this speech.
https://www.npr.org/2010/01/18/12270126 ... 9733218600
It's never as bleak as it seems, humanity is pretty awesome when pushed.
Of course, if people need the BBC to tell them what a recession is it becomes more difficult to be hopeful. :roll: :)
Derek27

Archery1969 wrote:
I'd rather die than spend 12 months on pot noodles. You'd be better off being incinerated like the rest of us. :lol:
Archery1969

Derek27 wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 5:43 am
Archery1969 wrote:
I'd rather die than spend 12 months on pot noodles. You'd be better off being incinerated like the rest of us. :lol:
Not pot noodles, it’s good quality freeze dried meals.

https://basecampfood.com/collections/bu ... ation-pack

:)
Derek27

Archery1969 wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:28 am
Derek27 wrote:
Archery1969 wrote:

£100 for 14 meals!! :shock: :shock:

Why not stock up on pasta, rice, tinned tomatoes, spices, etc?
Archery1969

Derek27 wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 4:26 pm
Archery1969 wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:28 am
Derek27 wrote:

£100 for 14 meals!! :shock: :shock:

Why not stock up on pasta, rice, tinned tomatoes, spices, etc?
I have but want a bit of diversity if the bombs are dropping above my head. 🤠
Archery1969

Truss says best way to help people is to lower taxes but those on benefits and retired don’t pay tax. She is strongly hinting that there won’t be handouts unless your working.

That’s pretty right wing to me, even excessively so.

Not sure what would be worse, Russia, China or Truss. 😱
Derek27

Child grooming gangs will get life under Sunak. Great idea, but has he had it all along and only just mentioned it or has he only just thought of it because he's losing?
Derek27

They keep repeating the latest debate on Sky. That nice-looking smiley blonde bird is a plant, I reckon. Every time Truss says something absurd, like Johnson's an honest guy, the editor immediately switches to her to show her facial expression. They've either got a camera focused on her or the cameraman's a pervert. :)
Archery1969

Derek27 wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:43 pm
They keep repeating the latest debate on Sky. That nice-looking smiley blonde bird is a plant, I reckon. Every time Truss says something absurd, like Johnson's an honest guy, the editor immediately switches to her to show her facial expression. They've either got a camera focused on her or the cameraman's a pervert. :)
:lol:
greenmark

"A senior ally of Liz Truss says the Tory leadership candidate has not ruled out giving help to families struggling with the cost of living crisis. "

Another u-turn, well maybe or maybe not. Let's not say what we'll do, only imply what we might do, thats a strategy isn't it? I give up. Vote her in and live with the consequences.
Archery1969

greenmark wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:54 pm
"A senior ally of Liz Truss says the Tory leadership candidate has not ruled out giving help to families struggling with the cost of living crisis. "

Another u-turn, well maybe or maybe not. Let's not say what we'll do, only imply what we might do, thats a strategy isn't it? I give up. Vote her in and live with the consequences.
In truth, they don't really know what to do, even economists differ on the right course of action. Some think millions will need handouts every 4 months as long energy prices remain high. That would not be sustainable without mega borrowing.

Looks to me like the country will be fcuked for the next 10 years.
Derek27

greenmark wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:54 pm

It's a bit like the fire brigade not ruling out putting out fires, or GPs not ruling out seeing patients. :)

Return to “Political betting & arguing”