Studying Form

A place to discuss anything.
LeTiss

Just out of interest, do any traders seriously study form before entering markets, or do you simply look for opportunities based on book %, WOM & other factors
hgodden

Interesting question. Answer for me is no
Cran

no form for me

horses I trade what I see in front of me in the market, Tennis I trade on historical data probability.
Seabird

Because I study horseracing form anyway I do use it, but in a very specific way.

I do NOT use it to determine anything about a trade. Like others I just use the market characteristics. However, I do use it to determine whether or not I am prepared to take an open trade in-play with a certain horse and/or certain race type.

Seabird
finnbarr99

Le Tiss

I use form software from Proform and would highly recommend it. There are plenty of opportunities on the AW at the minute. If you learn to "read" the race before the off there are huge odds swings when backing before the off and in running and laying in the final couple of furlongs or letting it roll if if your race reading suggests its in with a shout of winning. Have a look at some of the prices available about the winners over the last couple of days at Lingfield, Wolverhampton and Kempton. I backed Imalwaysright and AdmirableDuque this evening. Little Sark, Dahaam and Pepi Royal at Kempton and Hawaana, Dichoh and Global Conquest at Lingfield. They all won. I backed a couple of others that came 2nd and made a few bob as they shortened up, I had a few reverse forecasts on at the bookies too (because the Betfair prices are shocking) only for small stakes but at big odds. There were a few losers but I managed to cut out of most of them before I lost too much. It takes a while to get to grips with but they are the mother of all swing trades. I dont play with huge stakes but £20 on at between 10's and 20's is a huge ROI% when it rolls in. It was especially pleasing when your pick is called Imalwaysright because you get to say "Im always right" when it pings out of stall 1 and makes all which is pretty much how I saw the race shape up before the off with Barlaman coming in a close 2nd to complete my forecast. The only negative was that Imalwaysright drifted to 13's just after I put my trade on.

I know you're better at other sports and struggle with racing so if you're interested in swapping tips 'n' tricks PM me.
LeTiss

Cheers Finnbarr, interesting post

Yeah, my horses P/L is pitiful compared to football, so I'm forever looking for opportunities to improve my %S/R on racing

Return to “General discussion”