Selecting a second sport to trade - please advise!

A place to discuss anything.
arbitrage16

In-running horse racing is my bread and butter, and now I am looking outside of that to find further opportunities and to spread my risk - feel a bit vulnerable relying on one sport.

What I like about in-running is that I don't need any research, it feels like a pure form of trading to me. Is there something similar I could look at??

The question is, what to look at next? I had considered tennis but read on here that liquidity is dying somewhat.
Kai

Not many liquid markets with similar structure, would also love more race type (micro)markets where large swings of price are possible in seconds, but something like a tennis market is more a marathon than a sprint really.

Best to have your own objective look at different markets to see what kind of opportunities they offer and how frequent etc, ideally something that is already within your existing skillset, or just go for whatever you can get fast pix for.
The Silk Run

Perhaps consider pre race Greyhound Markets, UK, IRE, ANZ.
ShaunWhite

Something with global or international appeal, football, cricket etc. With Betfair white labelling in Asia and some of that liquidity flowing to the main exchange that seems to be the most future-proof.

I think UK/IRE dogs will be the first to go, who the heck is interested in greyhound racing these days except a few old men.
jamesedwards

ShaunWhite wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2022 8:55 pm
Something with global or international appeal, football, cricket etc. With Betfair white labelling in Asia and some of that liquidity flowing to the main exchange that seems to be the most future-proof.

I think UK/IRE dogs will be the first to go, who the heck is interested in greyhound racing these days except a few old men.
Surprised Betfair haven't ventured into Greyhounds in-running. Would seem like free money for them?
ShaunWhite

jamesedwards wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:20 pm
Surprised Betfair haven't ventured into Greyhounds in-running. Would seem like free money for them?
With their record of turning markets in-running it would be over before you started. :) I think it would be a bloodbath tbh, tracksiders would be on the dog that leads out of the first bend before we saw the traps open.
jamesedwards

ShaunWhite wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:04 am
jamesedwards wrote:
With their record of turning markets in-running it would be over before you started. :) I think it would be a bloodbath tbh, tracksiders would be on the dog that leads out of the first bend before we saw the traps open.
But it makes no difference whether you are suspending for the off or for in-play. It would be all incremental profit for them. I can only imagine there's some legislative barrier?
sniffer66

Given a choice again, I'd start with tennis. There's still plenty of liquidity to swing trade, and plenty of pre match and in play data to inform your entries and exits.
Also, given the fact there are only 2 possible outcomes on a match, the mechanical nature of the price moves are relatively easy to predict.
If you also enjoy watching tennis it's a bonus.
Kai

sniffer66 wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:38 am
And if you don't you can always just watch women's tennis, it's a little bonus in itself ;)
Dallas

Kai wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:36 am
sniffer66 wrote:
And if you don't you can always just watch women's tennis, it's a little bonus in itself ;)
Now who's got his mind squatting in Derek's gutter :lol:
Kai

Dallas wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:56 am
Kai wrote:
sniffer66 wrote:
Oh no, have I turned into Derek already :lol:
decomez6

arbitrage16 wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2022 4:11 pm
In-running horse racing is my bread and butter
jimibt says crypto is similar with a bit more reward.....so you have mastered how to fish in a pond , time to go deep sea and beyond :)
ShaunWhite

jamesedwards wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:00 am
ShaunWhite wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:04 am
jamesedwards wrote:
But it makes no difference whether you are suspending for the off or for in-play.
They void bets taken after the actual start time if there's no in-play market but they stand if there is an in-play market.

I can't imaging more than a grand would be traded in a dog race, so I guess they don't think it's worth it for £10 in commission.

But technicalities aside I'd avoid it like the plague, being 2s behind the shrude operators in a 30s race would be impossible to beat.
decomez6

Kai wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:24 pm
Dallas wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:56 am
Kai wrote:

Oh no, have I turned into Derek already :lol:
:lol: :lol:
ShaunWhite

sniffer66 wrote:
The 'helicopter view' on a future path ought to be to embrace automation, the only thing that matters is £/hr so save watching slow sports for your leisure time and work on the stuff that pays a wage 247365.

If anything is dying its the idea of being forced to have a job ruled by the sports calendar. Eventually you can build a portfolio of half a dozen strategies and either press on or put your feet up. Imo that's the joy of trading, choosing your own hours and having a passive income.

Return to “General discussion”