Windows update has ruined my connection through a VPS - what can be done?

A place to discuss anything.
arbitrage16

Everything was running fine, good connection, then the update came along and the connection is laggy and pics are stuttering.

I have screen recordings so can date the change and it coincides with the windows updates.

Problem is it seems like on Windows Remote Desktop uninstalling the various updates isn't so possible. "An error has occurred. Not all of the updates were successfully uninstalled."

Is there any other solution you guys can think of? Thanks!
Euler

Have you tested with some third party software rather than the default RDP client?
arbitrage16

No I haven't - is there one to recommend?

The main test I have done is a sight test on the Betfair pics and they are somewhat laggy
ShaunWhite

Do you mean a windows update on your local machine or on the vps?
And are you streaming the video on the vps or on your local machine? Video streamed on the vps and watched locally is often a bit ify. It might be worth finding out if it's just Betfair video or if other streams like YouTube or BBC are the same?

Not exactly fixes but just trying to narrow down the problem.
arbitrage16

ShaunWhite wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 6:09 pm
Do you mean a windows update on your local machine or on the vps?
And are you streaming the video on the vps or on your local machine? Video streamed on the vps and watched locally is often a bit ify. It might be worth finding out if it's just Betfair video or if other streams like YouTube or BBC are the same?

Not exactly fixes but just trying to narrow down the problem.
Thanks Shaun I really appreciate it, this is proving quite the issue!

Believe it was a windows update on the VPS, that I have uninstalled and that didn't help. Then I reinstalled the VPS, also no help.

My video streams on the VPS and is laggy, but that wasn't the case up until the 15th - I have checked my screen recordings to verify this.

To test further, I used a VPN to stream the video on my laptop i.e. outside of the VPS. Video worked fine, ladders were very laggy as one would expect. To me this kind of rules out it being an issue with the laptop or the internet connection, because I now know it's possible to stream good quality video, even through an VPN.
ShaunWhite

It's a mystery, laptop/Internet seems fine.... And you've rolled back the vps update. I'm running out of suggestions..... I'd say it might be a tempory thing with the routing from the vps but you can pin down the time it started and that seems too much like a coincidence not to be related. Must be something like the update rollback on the vsp didn't work in some way and you've got part of the update still?

What version of Windows is the vps running, std 10 or 11 or Windows server? I'm not sure if 10 & 11 force updates so a proper update rollback isn't actually possible. Windows Server gives you full control and doesn't force updates.
arbitrage16

ShaunWhite wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 6:39 pm
It's a mystery, laptop/Internet seems fine.... And you've rolled back the vps update. I'm running out of suggestions..... I'd say it might be a tempory thing with the routing from the vps but you can pin down the time it started and that seems too much like a coincidence not to be related. Must be something like the update rollback on the vsp didn't work in some way and you've got part of the update still?

What version of Windows is the vps running, std 10 or 11 or Windows server? I'm not sure if 10 & 11 force updates so a proper update rollback isn't actually possible. Windows Server gives you full control and doesn't force updates.
Just checked and the VPS runs Windows Server 2022.

I am resetting the laptop, giving it a fresh install of windows 10 just to see if that clears anything out.

What's strange is that I haven't heard of anyone else experiencing these issues, but I can see from my screen recordings that it starts getting laggy after the update was applied, and as you say that seems like too great a coincidence.
foxwood

Was going to suggest a screen recorder but that's what you are doing doh - some idle thoughts ...

Rather than the update being "faulty" perhaps the issue is with the screen recorder's environment due to changes the update has now made ?

Are you running out of disk space / memory / swap space as a result of the update on the VPS - could impact screen recording.

Increased video resolution on VPS also - check display properties.

Did the codecs change for the screen recorder - is the screen recorder prone to memory leaks in which case restarting it may improve quality as memory gets returned to the system.

Check your ping times to the video source from the VPS and also locally to compare - ie network issues.

Exclude the screen recorder from any virus checking - also the folder where you store the recordings.

Is there a new release of the screen recorder or any known issues with server22 ?

Windows updates are a total pain these days - especially with w10/w11 desktop bring back Gates and the old school !
arbitrage16

foxwood wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 7:51 pm
Was going to suggest a screen recorder but that's what you are doing doh - some idle thoughts ...

Rather than the update being "faulty" perhaps the issue is with the screen recorder's environment due to changes the update has now made ?

Are you running out of disk space / memory / swap space as a result of the update on the VPS - could impact screen recording.

Increased video resolution on VPS also - check display properties.

Did the codecs change for the screen recorder - is the screen recorder prone to memory leaks in which case restarting it may improve quality as memory gets returned to the system.

Check your ping times to the video source from the VPS and also locally to compare - ie network issues.

Exclude the screen recorder from any virus checking - also the folder where you store the recordings.

Is there a new release of the screen recorder or any known issues with server22 ?

Windows updates are a total pain these days - especially with w10/w11 desktop bring back Gates and the old school !
Thanks for all this. Thing is it's not just the betfair video, the ladders are laggy too and trading in play when it gets to the business end they are all over the place and basically untradeable.

the screen recorder I am using is also the native windows 10 one, and I have tried trading without having it switched on, and the error is still there.

Earlier I tried trading on my computer, no VPS, just using a VPN and whilst the ladders were laggy - as I woudl expect - the video was smooth, which leads me to believe that this is an issue with the VPS.
HorseDark

I don't know if this is relevant to a VPS, but had similar problems after an update on a desktop PC.

I disabled a video and an audio device, which solved the issue. I am guessing there was some kind of conflict.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
arbitrage16

HorseDark wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 2:40 pm
I don't know if this is relevant to a VPS, but had similar problems after an update on a desktop PC.

I disabled a video and an audio device, which solved the issue. I am guessing there was some kind of conflict.
Okay thanks for sharing. Slightly difficult to see what you have disabled there - what was it?
HorseDark

arbitrage16 wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 2:46 pm
HorseDark wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 2:40 pm

Okay thanks for sharing. Slightly difficult to see what you have disabled there - what was it?
Click on the image, it should open up larger...
arbitrage16

Thanks, definitely seeing the image but not sure what it's showing me?
Euler

You could go nuclear and just do a complete OS install on the VPS.
arbitrage16

Euler wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 3:42 pm
You could go nuclear and just do a complete OS install on the VPS.
Sorry I'm not being intentionally pedantic here - do you mean to say a re-install of the OS on the VPS?

Return to “General discussion”